Transition from AthlonXP to Athlon 64 X2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Transition from AthlonXP to Athlon 64 X2 Reply with quote

I am upgrading my machine from an Athlon XP 3200+ to an Athlon 64 X2 AM2 6000+. I am curious as to what is best to make this transition. From what I have read there is not much benefit in using a 64-bit OS over a 32-bit OS and that, in the case of Linux, there are still pitfalls in running 64-bit (such as flash.) I currently have my system compiled with march=athlon-xp. Is this suitable for an Athlon 64? This is what I intend to do in order to keep my current system without having to do a recompile:

1) Install new hardware (mobo, cpu, memory, vid.)

2) Boot with Live Disk (as I have my kernel configured for current mobo.)

3) Note the modules loaded by the Live disk for the new mobo.

4) Mount my software RAID (this is one part I am worried about as the mobos use two different SATA controllers. I am not to worried about being able to do it with the new SATA controller since it is software RAID but I am concerned that the drives won't be using the same drive letters and that my RAID config will not be proper. Any recommendations here are appreciated.)

5) chroot my system.

6) Configure kernel. Remove old mobo settings and enable new mobos settings. (Can I leave my CPU as an AthlonXP here? If I am not compiling for 64-bit that is what I want to leave it at anyway right? Or should I set it to Athlon64 even though I am running 32-bit?)

7) Compile new kernel and move it into boot partition.

8) Reboot and cross my fingers.

Would this be the best way to go about it or is there a better way to do this without starting from scratch? Thanks.
Rob1n
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Transition from AthlonXP to Athlon 64 X2 Reply with quote

Hyper_Eye wrote:
From what I have read there is not much benefit in using a 64-bit OS over a 32-bit OS and that, in the case of Linux, there are still pitfalls in running 64-bit (such as flash.)

Yes, at the moment thing hang pretty much in the balance - there's something to be said for both choices. Longer term I expect 64-bit to be the way to go though.

Quote:
I currently have my system compiled with march=athlon-xp. Is this suitable for an Athlon 64?

It'll all work, yes - you won't get the absolute maximum out of it but there's probably not much in it.

Quote:

4) Mount my software RAID (this is one part I am worried about as the mobos use two different SATA controllers. I am not to worried about being able to do it with the new SATA controller since it is software RAID but I am concerned that the drives won't be using the same drive letters and that my RAID config will not be proper. Any recommendations here are appreciated.)

You should be okay here - mdadm checks all the disks for their array IDs so should be able to pick them up whatever they end up as.

Quote:
6) Configure kernel. Remove old mobo settings and enable new mobos settings. (Can I leave my CPU as an AthlonXP here? If I am not compiling for 64-bit that is what I want to leave it at anyway right? Or should I set it to Athlon64 even though I am running 32-bit?)

I think it should be set to Athlon64 - I don't know for sure though as I use 64-bit on both my systems.

Quote:
Would this be the best way to go about it or is there a better way to do this without starting from scratch?

I think this is the right way to do it, yes. It's certainly the approach I would take.
molot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Transition from AthlonXP to Athlon 64 X2 Reply with quote

Hyper_Eye wrote:

From my experience both would work, but for advanced usage (like virtual machines, livecd creation, some multimedia and so on), you need to leave old, 32bit cpu setting. It will work perfectly ok, you'll miss only things your 32bit apps will be unable to use anyway, and you'll avoid mess and problems with apps unable to decide what cpu are they on.

If you're going on some kind of vacation after that change, recompile both kernel and world for new architecture and only run flash & java applets in 32bit firefox ;) You'll get some speed up on FFT (multimedia and scientific calculations) and other specific calculations, and will be prepared for the "future way". This paragraph is purely "my feeling 'bout the matter", however.

Hyper_Eye wrote:
7) Compile new kernel and move it into boot partition.

7a) re-run grub-install maybe?
taliesin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm not much of a Gentoo expert, Just to add my two cents,

I run AMD64 system and use firefox-bin ( the 32-bit version) and 32bit flash and they work quite well together. If that is the only thing stopping you to goto a 64bit system.

Also with a x64 system, all your 32bit applications will still work, though I think you need an additional 32 bit libraries.

There is also a way to compile 32bit applications from the 64it system for packages which don't compile or run to well in the 64bit environment. I cant remember it now though as I haven't had any problems lately
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info so far. I am also considering going to 64-bit. I have not made up my mind on this yet. If I were to go to 64-bit I see two ways to do it... back-up what I need to keep and compile fresh or recompile my system for 64-bit. If I do the first method I am going to need to record my world tree hopefully in a way that will make getting back to my current system easy. I would prefer to do a world recompile to move my whole system to 64-bit. I have been using Gentoo for a number of years now and am quite familiar with portage but I have never changed architectures like this. What would be the best way to get my system recompiled for athlon 64 without starting from scratch and without too much mess? If it seems worth doing then I will do it but I really want to avoid backing up everything I have as I am looking at almost 100 gigs that I need to keep.
Rob1n
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyper_Eye wrote:
What would be the best way to get my system recompiled for athlon 64 without starting from scratch and without too much mess?

There's no real way of doing this - it probably could be done but it'd be a nightmare getting things compiled against the right libraries and not breaking things you need. The standard advice is to reinstall - there's no need to lose your data at all though, after booting off the livecd, mount the drives (don't repartition or reformat them of course!) and move everything into a backup directory (that way you can even chroot into it later if you find you're missing anything) before untarring the new 64-bit stage3 tarball.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going from 32-bit to 64 is a platform change, almost like going from x86 to Sun/SGI - It's probably less work to do a full re-install ;)

I did a similar upgrade path from AthlonXP to Athlon64 - You just need to change hardware drivers/settings to match the new hardware, re-compile the kernel and then perform the hardware upgrade and almost everything will still work. There's inevitably a few things you'll miss (It was lm_sensors for me ;)), but such an upgrade can be mch MUCH easier than doing it in Windows (Which REQUIRES you to do a full re-install if you want any stability...)

BTW, whoever said to keep your CPU as AthlonXP is wrong - 32bit or 64bit, you can set the -march=k8, and in the kernel select Opteron/Athlon64/Hammer/K8 as the CPU.
You can't switch from 64-bit to 32-bit just by setting a few options in the kernel - The CHOST and toolchain need to be 64-bit, which is why going 32->64 requires a complete from-scratch re-install.
molot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
BTW, whoever said to keep your CPU as AthlonXP is wrong
I've said sth like this - that he should leave the AthlonXP in the kernel if and only if he is going to leave exactly that arch for all packages. If I wasn't clear on what I meant then I'm sorry 'bout that. If I was clear, plz tell me (us?) why different arch for packages and kernel is any good. I consider it bad due to problems with livecd building (thread about that probably still is somewhere on this forum) and some other small problems I've listed... And I had them on the system with AthlonXP for packages and Athlon64 for kernel - just the situation described here.
taliesin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For upgrading to a x64 system

How about booting of a live cd, extracting the x86_64 base to / , then doing an

emerge -e system; emerge -e world

Or would this leave too much behind?
molot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would make a total mess with the current system. Some time ago I've deleted gcc's files from my system (by stupid accident - I've ran livecd cleaning script on my os instead of on livecd source dir), and I've tried unpacking stage to a root dir. Never ever again. Just don't. After that step I simply had to proceed with clean install.. So if mess and then clean install is on one side, and clean install on the other, choice seems simple ;D
taliesin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

molot wrote:
It would make a total mess with the current system. Some time ago I've deleted gcc's files from my system (by stupid accident - I've ran livecd cleaning script on my os instead of on livecd source dir), and I've tried unpacking stage to a root dir. Never ever again. Just don't. After that step I simply had to proceed with clean install.. So if mess and then clean install is on one side, and clean install on the other, choice seems simple ;D

Thanks for that piece of info. Ill remember that as, I would of expected it would of work quite nicely.. I'm glad I didn't find out first hand!

Thanks
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

molot wrote:
Cyker wrote:
BTW, whoever said to keep your CPU as AthlonXP is wrong
I've said sth like this - that he should leave the AthlonXP in the kernel if and only if he is going to leave exactly that arch for all packages. If I wasn't clear on what I meant then I'm sorry 'bout that. If I was clear, plz tell me (us?) why different arch for packages and kernel is any good. I consider it bad due to problems with livecd building (thread about that probably still is somewhere on this forum) and some other small problems I've listed... And I had them on the system with AthlonXP for packages and Athlon64 for kernel - just the situation described here.

Bad due to live CD problems? Sorry man, don't know about that bit...

But there shouldn't be any problems with having different optimisations - When I was running Slackware, I had some code optimized for i386, some for i486, some Pentium MMX and some for K6-III (That's how far that install went through hardware upgrades. Let's see Windows try that! :P) and as far as I know there were no problems at all.

As long as you don't do what another guy in the forum did and DOWNGRADE the CPU, it's alright to mix older and newer optimizations - Newer CPUs can run code for older CPUs no problem, although the optimizations might be detrimental for some.

(Case in point - I discovered, before I upgraded GCC on my Slackware box, that i386 optim ran faster than Pentium MMX optim on the K6-III!! :shock:)

My current Gentoo box has a mix of AthlonXP and AthlonK8 code also, because that was the last upgrade I did.
I can't be assed to re-emerge everything just so they have K8 optims instead of K7 because it works fine as it is, and frankly I doubt I would gain much from it ;)
molot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
Bad due to live CD problems? Sorry man, don't know about that bit...
Optimizations in the same arch type didn't get me any trouble. Joke is - 32bit packages, 64bit kernel, and chroot environment can get messy, especially if you wanna build kernel or some system libraries in it.

And even if someone is not planning such play right now, I still can't see any particular benefit in recompiling kernel for 64bits whilst leaving whole rest of the system on 32bit over kinda elegant, consistent "all 32bit" solution that may help avoid that small number of problems we know of (and probably some we don't know yet).

Let's face it - how much "power" you'll get from changing only kernel arch? The only result I can think of is that CPU will switch between 32 and 64 modes instead of stay in 32bit execution - not a real problem, but no advantage by any means.
Difference between 32 and 64 is mostly seen in multimedia codecs - the packages that (in the single case I'm now talking about) will stay 32 anyway.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! I think I understand the confusion - Some clarification:

1) By selecting Athlon64/K8 in the kernel configs, you will NOT automatically make a 64-bit kernel. You can only make a 64-bit kernel from a 64-bit tool-chain.
2) You can NOT compile ANYTHING as 64-bit from a 32-bit system without setting up 64-bit cross-compiling, which is complicated.

Note that I am ONLY talking about CPU optimization flags - I agree that having a 64-bit kernel with 32-bit userland is rather pointless, since there is little to no benefit (Esp. since you can tell the kernel to use 64-bit structures without turning it into a 'true' 64-bit kernel!)
Akkara
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest is to just use the system you currently have. Just change -march to k8. You can recompile if you want but it is not needed. Can let the updates slowly change your system over, or maybe recompile the packages you use a lot if you don't want to spend a lot of time on doing emerge -e world

If you have a spare partition that's big enough, can try to set up amd64 there. This way if something goes wrong, or if it takes longer than expected you're not left without a machine. Also if you decide you don't like 64-bits as much can fall back to your 32.
Mgiese
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a bit confused right know .. i switched from pentium3-1000 to amd64x2. i changed my profile to amd64, changed chost to "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu" (before it was "i686-pc-linux-gnu") then i also changed -march to k8. i recompiled my kernel (added k8 support an some drivers). but now glibc doesnt compile anymore. i know i have to rebuild toolchain (wasnt that emerge -e system?) and later i have to rebuild world. will this be possible ? thx a lot in advance

my glibc error is the following :
Code:
asm/prctl.h   /   TLS support is required

Ryzen9 7950x ; Geforce1650 ; kernel 6.5 ; XFCE
merky1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mgiese wrote:
i am a bit confused right know .. i switched from pentium3-1000 to amd64x2. i changed my profile to amd64, changed chost to "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu" (before it was "i686-pc-linux-gnu") then i also changed -march to k8. i recompiled my kernel (added k8 support an some drivers). but now glibc doesnt compile anymore. i know i have to rebuild toolchain (wasnt that emerge -e system?) and later i have to rebuild world. will this be possible ? thx a lot in advance

my glibc error is the following :
Code:
asm/prctl.h   /   TLS support is required

This won't work, because you are trying to build your initial toolchain from 32 bit code. Basically it is a chicken / egg problem. Unless you desperately need 64 bit, you would probably get more mileage just keeping the system 32 bit for now. While gentoo has one of the cleanest 64 bit implementations at this time, there are still alot of workarounds that are needed to get day to day things working. For example, flash, and windows codecs.

I have even tried Windows 64 bit, and things aren't much better there. Without compelling factors (games) to drive people to pure 64 bit, I don't see the landscape improving much for a while. Now on the server side, definitely worth the time invested to build a 64 bit system, but from the everyday workstation perspective, 32's the way to go.
Mgiese
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, i installed my whole system new(amd64 2007) its working so fine now, i compiled everything what i need, and thx portage i also installed all the 32bit software without doing anything in extra. gentoo is so nice

thx to the devs

Ryzen9 7950x ; Geforce1650 ; kernel 6.5 ; XFCE
mu-sly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Another AthlonXP to Athlon64 transition. Reply with quote

Hey folks, I have a similar question.

I'm about to move my entire system from an AthlonXP to Athlon64. Need to do a bit of urgent-ish computer reshuffling, so it can't wait too much longer - ultimately, I need to try and do the bulk of the hardware shuffling this weekend.

For the moment, I just need my stuff to carry on working but on the new machine. Assuming I build the right kernel drivers for the new motherboard and so on, should my system (as set up for AthlonXP) continue to work on an Athlon64 processor in 32-bit mode?

Later, when I have a bit more time, I'd like to clean out and recompile everything to have a 64-bit system, but for the moment I'm hoping I can more-or-less just run my AthlonXP optimised stuff on Athlon64.

Is it almost certain to work? Fairly likely to work? Go badly wrong? Should I really just go the full way and do a clean reinstall to 64-bit straight away?

Is march=k8 applicable in 32-bit mode? (Where do I find this stuff out, I'm not actually sure!? It's been literally years since I set this system up and nothing like that has ever needed changing!)

Finally, when I do the 64-bit switch properly, I'd like to recompile more-or-less the same bunch of apps I've already got emerged. What's the best way to get this information? I'm assuming emerge can give it to me somehow, and then I could just echo it into a text file and run the command on my newly cleaned out and reinstalled base system?

I'm hoping to go the multiple-partitions route (32-bit and 64-bit, until 64-bit is working right) as suggested by Akkara.

Thanks for your help! :D
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Another AthlonXP to Athlon64 transition. Reply with quote

Going from AthlonXP to Athlon64 will work perfectly - The Ath64 is fully backward compatible with all the extra instructions the AthlonXP supports.

Yes, -march=k8 is totally applicable in 32-bit.

The main thing you need to do is re-compile the kernel with the correct hardware drivers (Chipset, disk controllers, NIC, USB, lm_sensors, sound, etc. etc.) for the new motherboard and any other hardware.

When I did it, I saved it as a different kernel and added it to GRUB so that I could still use the old system, and when I moved the hardware over I just had to pick the new kernel in the GRUB menu.

The only other things are general hardware tweaking - e.g. modifying the fstab and udev to match your new system if needed, changing lm_sensors config to point to the new sensor chips, possibly re-compiling video drivers etc.

If you want quick, this is the fastest way.

'Converting' from an AthlonXP to Athlon64/AMD64 pretty much requires a complete from-scratch rebuild. You can't recycle anything beyond most of /etc, and even then you'll need to screen everything really carefully JIC, so you may as well re-write them using the old /etc's as a base.
mu-sly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Another AthlonXP to Athlon64 transition. Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
If you want quick, this is the fastest way.

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to hear!

Cyker wrote:

'Converting' from an AthlonXP to Athlon64/AMD64 pretty much requires a complete from-scratch rebuild. You can't recycle anything beyond most of /etc, and even then you'll need to screen everything really carefully JIC, so you may as well re-write them using the old /etc's as a base.

Again, that's pretty much what I'm planning to do, just wondered if there's an easy way I can get a list of everything installed on my current system?

I suppose I could always:
Code:
emerge -epv world > installed_packages.txt
or something, to at least get a list.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge, there isn't a quick and easy way of converting from 32 to 64bit x86.

Your idea of dumping the package list is basically the usual way of doing it.

Others ways have been suggested, but they all sound messy enough to defeat the point of the suggestion ;)

I may be considering travelling that road once an AMD64 version of Opera comes out, but we'll see ;)

Right now 'tho I haven't found a compelling reason to put down the time to 'upgrade' to AMD64 yet, but have many good reasons not too (e.g. I'm lazy, I can't afford >3GB RAM, I run lots of 32-bit binary software like NWN, RAR, Opera etc...)
darklegion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
To my knowledge, there isn't a quick and easy way of converting from 32 to 64bit x86.

Your idea of dumping the package list is basically the usual way of doing it.

Others ways have been suggested, but they all sound messy enough to defeat the point of the suggestion ;)

I may be considering travelling that road once an AMD64 version of Opera comes out, but we'll see ;)

Right now 'tho I haven't found a compelling reason to put down the time to 'upgrade' to AMD64 yet, but have many good reasons not too (e.g. I'm lazy, I can't afford >3GB RAM, I run lots of 32-bit binary software like NWN, RAR, Opera etc...)

I've been running 32bit opera with AMD64 for years, with no real issues.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: