View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guenther Brunthaler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Using The GIMP w/o dedicated workspace? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I think The GIMP is a powerful tool, and I would really like to use it.

But I find it really hard to cope with the way it organizes its many windows. Actually, it nearly drives me mad!

The only solution I could find so far was allocating a dedicated workspace for The GIMP using my window manager (I'm using kwin).

Otherwise, I was unable to raise or lower all the The GIMP-related windows as a single unit; they all behaved as if they were completely individual top-level windows.

That made it impossible for the The GIMP windows to co-exist on the same workspace as the windows of other applications, because it was incredibly tedious to manually bring all the The GIMP windows to the same Z height on the desktop at the same time.

But allocating a whole workspace for just one application is something I also do not like - I usually create workspaces for separate workflows incorporating multiple applications, not for a single application alone.

I have googled around a bit on the subject and found a plug-in called "deweirdifyer" which seems to solve that problem for The GIMP running under Windows.

But I could not find an equivalent plug-in for Linux.

I also have read multiple statements of type "we lucky Linux guys don't need no MDI, because we have such powerful windows managers", but unfortunately I was unable to find a description how a Linux windows manager such as kwin can actually help running The GIMP in a useful way - that is, without allocating a whole dedicated workspace exclusively for it.

So I assume I am missing some point.

Can someone please explain to me how to use The GIMP with one of the mainstream Linux window managers on a the same workspace shared with other applications?

Because it cannot be that an application "requires" its own workspace. If every application did that, there would be as many workspaces as open applications, which could go into the dozens. And then we soon would need some sort of "super-workspace", which manages those many workspaces the same way a single workspace manages multiple top-level windows.

In other words, the decision whether to put an application onto a different workspace should only be up to the user based on his/her individual preferences, but never be quasi-dictated by an application.

The solution must obviously be to put all windows belonging to The GIMP into some sort of logical group, which is handled as a unit by the windows manager. That is, if any of those windows is raised or lowered, all the other windows within the same group must also be raised or lowered by the same amount. But I have no idea at all how to accomplish that with kwin.

Any ideas?
leonglass
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting I have never found this annoying at all and just raise each window I want. However in answer to your question I do not know if you can group the windows but I do know there is a program called gimpshop that makes the layout more simila r to photoshop if that is any good to you.
Guenther Brunthaler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leon,

leonglass wrote:
Interesting I have never found this annoying at all and just raise each window I want.

I am running into problems each time I switch back and forth between The GIMP and other applications using the Alt-Tab keyboard combo of my windows manager.

When I press Alt-Tab from within The GIMP to bring the other application window to the top, this is not a problem.

But when I want to switch back to The GIMP, Alt-Tab only brings a single one of the many The GIMP windows to the top, the remaining ones hidden below the other application's window.

And worse, it is not even possible to bring up all of The GIMP windows using Alt-Tab, because Alt-Tab cannot "see" all of the windows The GIMP can use.

For instance, try to tear a The GIMP menu from its menu bar, making it into a floating window.

While such floating GTK+ menus can be manipulated normally as long as the are at the top, they are invisible to the window manager otherwise (at least to kwin).

The only way I could figure out to raise such a menu window once it has been lowered behind other windows is to minimize all the other windows which cover it.

This seems to be madness to me!

leonglass wrote:
but I do know there is a program called gimpshop that makes the layout more simila r to photoshop if that is any good to you.

But is this really a full The GIMP, or just some stripped-down, functionally reduced, outdated version; crafted for pitiful lose... ehm... former Photoshop addict Apple users? ;-)

And, for the record: I hate Photoshop! It may be "powerful", but it has an outdated user interface by today's standards, is rotten slow and eats up memory like popcorn.

I frankly cannot understand what is so great about Photoshop and why everyone seems to be loving it. I don't. To me, it is a bloated, resource-wasting monster. And it's not even free software! (Though I doubt I would be using it even if it were. Not without someone pointing a gun to my head in order to encourage me.)

The only argument I am always hearing is "but it supports CMYK separation and color management".

But this cannot be the only reason why to use Photoshop, can it?

There are other image editors out there which can also do color separation and support color management.

For instance, Krita supports not only color separation and color management, it even supports higher pixel depths than just the usual 8 bit per color component. Krita even allows up to 32 bit floating point per pixel color component!

But actually I don't need that much accuracy, 24 bit per pixel images are good enough for me. I really don't need 96 bit per pixel to be happy. And The GIMP has much more tools and filters which I would like to use.

If it only were not cursed with that "multiple independent top-level window" approach.

But anyway, thanks for your GimpShop hint; I'll check it out.

Last edited by Guenther Brunthaler on Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
jlh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually a fan of having lots of workspaces and I usually use GIMP on its own workspace with at most one or two other windows. Since I can't lower or raise all of GIMP's windows at once, I often raise or lower the other window(s), which gives me about the same effect. So if I have 10 GIMP windows and one xterm, I can Alt-Tab to xterm to bring it to the front, and I can lower xterm to bring the 10 GIMP windows to the front.

Also, I often work like this: My GIMP main window and the tools window is set to always-on-top and is shaded at the top of the screen where it potentially only covers other windows' decoration. This gives me more free space to work with for GIMP itself, but also for other windows and avoids having to lower/raise two windows. Whenever I need one of those windows (which doesn't happen often for the main window at least) I point to it and it temporarily unshades and automatically shades again when I move out. So in many cases I end up having only one or two other GIMP windows that need to get out of the way when I need some non-GIMP window.

Well, this is how I do it, but I understand that this doesn't directly answer your question. I'd sure be interested in further replies. Also I'll have to check out that plugin for windows, because for me, GIMP has been a horror to use on windows.
Guenther Brunthaler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jlh,

jlh wrote:
Since I can't lower or raise all of GIMP's windows at once, I often raise or lower the other window(s), which gives me about the same effect.

Yes, I think it is certainly possible to work with The GIMP using such a setup.

But I don't like to be forced to use it - it should always be a choice of user preference whether to use multiple workspaces, and for what purposes.

As it seems, this is not the case for The GIMP: You have to use a (more or less) dedicated workspace for it, or you ... better shoot yourself.

In my opinion, The GIMP is mis-using the workspace concept of windows managers to emulate something like MDI.

But MDI is not the same as a workspace!

It is possible to have a 100 MDI applications open in the same workspace, and it is still possible to work with all of them.

Not so with a 100 instances of The GIMP, all working on a different image - one would have to set up 100 different workspaces in order to do that.

But more importantly, MDI automatically groups the windows belonging to a specific application instance together - there is no need for the user to set up workspaces or assign special windows manager settings for the application. It just runs out of the box.

I can understand that plain conventional MDI is not good enough in all situations, such as when using multi-headed displays or multi-monitor setups.

But then I would suggest extending MDI accordingly, instead of mis-using workspaces to do MDI's job.

For instance, the "Windows" menu in an MDI application might provide a menu point "create another top-level window XXX" and "move this MDI child window to MDI top-level frame window XXX".

This would then allow to use multiple MDI frame windows on multiple workspaces and displays, and still retain the advantages of the MDI concept.
Guenther Brunthaler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Some thoughts about MDI vs. Workspaces Reply with quote

When thinking about the differences between the MDI and the multiple desktops/workspaces approach, I have come to the following conclusions:

• MDI ist neither the same as nor equivalent to a workspace.
  • MDI relates to a workspace in a similar way a per-project directory relates to a disk partition.
  • MDI is more than just grouping some windows together. It provides a logical "scope", because MDI child windows all belong to the same application instance. Note: Application instance, not application. There can be multiple unrelated instances of an MDI application, each containing multiple related MDI child windows.
  • A workspace, on the other hand, can contain any number of windows from any number of unrelated applications.
  • Workspaces should be used to group applications and documents together which represent a work flow, or at least an integral part of it. Or they can be used to represent different topics or projects.
  • But workspaces should not at all be some sort of prereqisite for running single application instances!
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Using The GIMP w/o dedicated workspace? Reply with quote

Guenther Brunthaler wrote:
Hi all,

I think The GIMP is a powerful tool, and I would really like to use it.

But I find it really hard to cope with the way it organizes its many windows. Actually, it nearly drives me mad!

There was the gimpshop project around, though I don't know if it is still alive. Never tried it, so can't comment on it.

Quote:
The only solution I could find so far was allocating a dedicated workspace for The GIMP using my window manager (I'm using kwin).

That is one solution. I use workspaces for everything and couldn't live without them anyway. So it is my choice.

Quote:
Otherwise, I was unable to raise or lower all the The GIMP-related windows as a single unit; they all behaved as if they were completely individual top-level windows.

That is a limitation of your wm. In fvwm you could, for example, do something like "All (gimp) Raise". You could bind that to win+g, for example, to raise all the gimp windows at once. Kwin is not the most limiting wm around, but it is not too powerful either.

Fvwm has also a more advances layer system, that is impossible to emulate in kwin as far as I know, though I could also be wrong.

Quote:
I also have read multiple statements of type "we lucky Linux guys don't need no MDI, because we have such powerful windows managers", but unfortunately I was unable to find a description how a Linux windows manager such as kwin can actually help running The GIMP in a useful way - that is, without allocating a whole dedicated workspace exclusively for it.

Well, now you have one. In other wm's it can be done as well. I bet. You can also run fvwm inside kde or gnome, replacing their native wm's if you want to do so. I have no reason to do that, but your situation might be quite different.

Quote:
Because it cannot be that an application "requires" its own workspace. If every application did that, there would be as many workspaces as open applications, which could go into the dozens. And then we soon would need some sort of "super-workspace", which manages those many workspaces the same way a single workspace manages multiple top-level windows.

That is not a problem either. But all is about tastes. In fvwm you can create multiple virtual desktops, and each desktop can have as many pages as you want.

Quote:
In other words, the decision whether to put an application onto a different workspace should only be up to the user based on his/her individual preferences, but never be quasi-dictated by an application.

No one stops you from choosing a smarter wm. Kwin is way too limited.

I am sure there are more wm's that can do this. I choose fvwm for a number of reasons. If you want more info about fvwm you can go here:

http://fvwm.lair.be

You can also visit fvwm.org and join the fvwm mailing lists if you want. If you need more info, just ask here.

I hope you find a valid solution for your daily work, might it be fvwm based or not. Luck :)
Guenther Brunthaler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Using The GIMP w/o dedicated workspace? Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
That is a limitation of your wm. In fvwm you could, for example, do something like "All (gimp) Raise".

Well, that sounds a lot better, indeed.

i92guboj wrote:
You could bind that to win+g

First, I don't have a Windows key on my keyboard... when I purchased by box, I insisted on a keyboard without that treacherous symbol key. :-)

Second, I only assign global hotkeys to the most important apps I frequently need intermittent access to, such as Amarok or Qalculate.

However, if there should also be some generic "Raise all (last app)" key binding, I certainly will use it.

i92guboj wrote:
Well, now you have one. In other wm's it can be done as well. I bet.

While this is clearly an improvement beyond what I have now, it unfortunately still does not resolve all the problems.

It does solve the problem if I only have a single instance of The GIMP running on a single workspace.

But it still cannot replace MDI for the case when multiple different instances of GIMP are running on the same workspace, and I want to raise all the windows which belong to a specific instance.

Although, admittedly, that's not the typical scenario. Most of the time, I will only have a single instance of The GIMP running.

But it is still a usability restriction for those less common situations.

i92guboj wrote:
You can also run fvwm inside kde or gnome, replacing their native wm's if you want to do so.

fvwm and its related packages are emerging while I am writing this posting.

I'm curious whether it will really be capable of replacing kwin.

If it is, then goodbye kwin!

i92guboj wrote:
I hope you find a valid solution for your daily work, might it be fvwm based or not. Luck :)

Thanks! I'll check out fvwm now
Guenther Brunthaler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Finished evaluating FVWM Reply with quote

Now I've toyed around a bit with FVWM.

It's currently being unmerged while I write this posting... ;-)

I tried it in two configurations: As a fully-blown desktop environment, using the Gentoo's crystal-theme setup. And then as a kwin replacement with KDE.

The first configuration worked quite nicely, but I found FVWM is not my type of window manager.

It featured cute little icons, half-transparent window decorations, eight workspaces and other trendy little stuff, but I have actually no use for such advanced goodies.

I do my work in a single maximized console window most of the time, running GNU "screen" to multiplex any number of shells within it; some logged in locally; others remotely.

I also don't use the mouse most of the time and use Alt-Tab to navigate between top-level windows.

There are rarely more than six GUI applications running at the same time, because it is only that single console window which runs all the really interesting stuff.

And because I have so few windows on my desktop, each of them maximized, I normally have little desire for multiple workspaces or icons on the desktop: The desktop is normally covered entirely by the console window anyway.

But OK, I wanted to evaluate the "raise all (GIMP) windows" function of FVWM.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find it.

I checked all the window decorations I could spot, tried them with any mouse button combination I could imagine, and also looked into all the popup window menus provided by FVWM.

All I found were only quite standard options like all windows managers provide them; nothing special, and not trace of some "raise all (gimp) windows" option.

So I decided to let go and launched KDE with FVWM instead of kwin.

Well, at least it started. It even managed to launch KDE's menu bar and application launch menu as well as it's tray bar applications. That's fine.

But then: There were 36 (!) workspaces in the toolbar, and no space left for displaying normal application windows! That's just overkill for me - I hardly use more than two workspaces most of the time.

Next I discovered: All the window decorations were gone - the windows did not even provide a "close" button, or some sort of context menu.

I'm afraid this is a bit too minimalistic even for me! ;-)

Chances are that it might be possible to configure FVWM better when diving deeply into its configuration file, but I actually want to avoid that. If it's not useful right out of the box with only a few customizations, it's too much effort for me.

I'm sure FVWM can do wonderful things for people who want to invest the time to customize it, but actually I'm quite happy with kwin except for the GIMP's lack of MDI support.

And I also think it would be a mistake to make the choice of a window manager dependent on the requirements of a single ill-behaving application.

So, instead of replacing kwin with FVWM just because of GIMP, I think it will be easier to avoid GIMP where it is possible.

And for those situations when GIMP is the only application which can do the job, then - sigh - I will, for god's sake, create a dedicated workspace for it.

But I will never like the fact I have to.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Using The GIMP w/o dedicated workspace? Reply with quote

Hello again,

i92guboj wrote:
You could bind that to win+g

First, I don't have a Windows key on my keyboard... when I purchased by box, I insisted on a keyboard without that treacherous symbol key. :-)

It was just an example. You can bind anything you wish. Fvwm even support mouse gestures at wm level if you compile it with libstroke support, though I must admit I have never used it. So can't comment on it.

Quote:

However, if there should also be some generic "Raise all (last app)" key binding, I certainly will use it.

This doesn't exist certainly at wm level. Though I suppose it should not be too complicated to implement using some bash magic with xprop or something like that. We just need to save the class name of the last application so we can use it in the previous command. Don't be afraid, it *shouldn't* be that difficult as it sounds.

Quote:

i92guboj wrote:
Well, now you have one. In other wm's it can be done as well. I bet.

While this is clearly an improvement beyond what I have now, it unfortunately still does not resolve all the problems.

It does solve the problem if I only have a single instance of The GIMP running on a single workspace.

Well, there is no way you can differentiate two instances of gimp from outside the application, unless gimp gives you a way to do so (that as long as I know, it doesn't). So, in this case it is gimp's fault. But...

However, if you only have an instance of gimp on each page or desktop, you could still use a mod of the previous command, something like

Code:

All (gimp, CurrentPage) Raise

Or even

Code:

All (gimp, CurrentDesktop) Raise

Since in fvwm pages and desktops are not the same.

Quote:
But it still cannot replace MDI for the case when multiple different instances of GIMP are running on the same workspace, and I want to raise all the windows which belong to a specific instance.

Although, admittedly, that's not the typical scenario. Most of the time, I will only have a single instance of The GIMP running.

Indeed, having more than one instance of gimp in a single workspace is not a clever thing. It doesn't matter how good your wm is. Mainly, because there is no reason for that, since you can open as many pictures as you want in a single instance. If you open more instances you will certainly go mad.

Quote:

i92guboj wrote:
You can also run fvwm inside kde or gnome, replacing their native wm's if you want to do so.

fvwm and its related packages are emerging while I am writing this posting.

I'm curious whether it will really be capable of replacing kwin.

If it is, then goodbye kwin!

i92guboj wrote:

Thanks! I'll check out fvwm now

It is certainly capable. Though you will require to learn a bit about how fvwm works. It is certainly not a wm that you can configure in five minutes, and configuration is all text based. There is no way you could achieve such degree of configurability in any other way. Feel free to register in the fvwm forums and ask there if you have questions about it.

By the way, these might also be of some interest for you:
http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/faq/
http://zensites.net/fvwm/guide/

I would first advice you to use fvwm outside kde and get in touch with it. It can replace kwin by just setting KDEWM="fvwm" outside kde and starting it. But really, fvwm doesn't need kde for anything. Of course, you can still use all the kde stuff without a problem.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Finished evaluating FVWM Reply with quote

Oooops hehe, I submited the response too late. :)

But OK, I wanted to evaluate the "raise all (GIMP) windows" function of FVWM.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find it.

I checked all the window decorations I could spot, tried them with any mouse button combination I could imagine, and also looked into all the popup window menus provided by FVWM.

All I found were only quite standard options like all windows managers provide them; nothing special, and not trace of some "raise all (gimp) windows" option.

Well, probably you was confused by my rather short description, but I did not want to write a longer post unless you were interested in the feature. Fvwm is about configurability. It's default config is a basic one, and doesn't include a thing. If you search for fvwm screenshots you will see it can look anyway you want. But you will need to spend some days learning it and configuring it to make the options you need available for you.

If you don't need such a power than obviously fvwm is not for you. It was just my natural suggestion that came to my mind since I use it everyday.

Quote:
But then: There were 36 (!) workspaces in the toolbar, and no space left for displaying normal application windows! That's just overkill for me - I hardly use more than two workspaces most of the time.

Everything is configurable, via text files... :) You need to see "man fvwm" for that. Though it is quite a long man page.

Quote:

Next I discovered: All the window decorations were gone - the windows did not even provide a "close" button, or some sort of context menu.

Of course they were gone. If you launch fvwm then kwin doesn't manage windows. Now it is fvwm. You need to configure the decorations. The default ones doesn't include anything but too basic functionality ;)

Everything can be tuned to the pixel. That's the power of fvwm, but maybe it is not for you.

You can try to use another graphics application. Or maybe a conbination of many. Krita is evolving nicely and is supposed to be an almost completely new app when kde4 comes out. Inkscape is also nice, but for vector drawing. They both use a single-window paradigm as far as I know.
Guenther Brunthaler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Finished evaluating FVWM Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
Everything is configurable, via text files...

i92guboj wrote:
Everything can be tuned to the pixel. That's the power of fvwm, but maybe it is not for you.

Actually, I like it very much. Text file configuration and pixel-level control is exactly my sort of thing.

If I need it.

Which is currently not the case, because of my rather modest requirements.

But I certainly will remember your suggestions, and if I happen to actually require a more powerful wm some day, I will go for FVWM.

i92guboj wrote:
Krita is evolving nicely

I'm already using it! But GIMP still has many tools that Krita lacks, especially the many filters and plugins.

i92guboj wrote:
Inkscape is also nice

Yes, I am using it already, too. As well as "Karbon14" and "Kivio".

But although those tools are very powerful, they are still no match for GIMP in several areas. (In other areas such as Krita's color management they are clearly superior, however.)

i92guboj wrote:
They both use a single-window paradigm as far as I know.

Well, they all don't have GIMP's user interface guideline flaws. Actually, most applications are well-behaving in this regard. IMHO, GIMP is just a negative exception.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be frank, I don't like gimp in that regard either, but it doesn't seem like that's going to change at any moment soon.

I usually use as many workspaces as I need and I never ever minimize windows. So, having the gimp in one of those areas is not really an inconvenience for me anyway.

Of course, each person has a different methodology when working, and I am not much into graphics anyway. Just ocasionally.
pizzach
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sorry I am not saying anything helpful, but I just wanted to say I share your pain. If the windows acted a little more intelligently, the gimp would be a much less pain in the butt to use. The current setup screams to have the child windows work like those of Photoshop Mac. But most PC users wouldn't know what I am talking about. -_-;
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Using The GIMP w/o dedicated workspace? Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
Well, there is no way you can differentiate two instances of gimp from outside the application, unless gimp gives you a way to do so (that as long as I know, it doesn't). So, in this case it is gimp's fault. But...

Apply your brain a little more...

Code:

Style Gimp1 KeepWindowGroupsOnDesk, StartsOnDesk 2, SkipMapping
Style Gimp2 StartsOnPage 1 1, SkipMapping

Then:

Code:

gimp --class=Gimp1
gimp --class=Gimp2

(Yes, you will find KeepWindowGroupsOnDesk useful.)

i92guboj wrote:

Or even

Code:

All (gimp, CurrentDesktop) Raise

s/CurrentDesktop/CurrentDesk/

[..snip..]

-- Thomas Adam
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: