Gentoo Linux 1.4r4 take 4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pshook
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Linux 1.4r4 take 4 Reply with quote

So I'm now all the way back up to make menuconfig

I would like some adivce here, some of the options are still not clear even looking at the help.

Any safe suggestions for a PIII 1GHZ processor 512 MB SDRAM IDE cd burner, SCSI card with zip, jaz attached, creative sound card, TNT2 32MB Nvidia video card???

ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for help on what? Configuring the kernel?

If so we would need the exact Brand names and models. We would also need to know what chip-set your PC uses.

Basically I would say, go through the menus and select all that is appropriate for your hadrware. Also do a search on cd-burning and scsi mayeb even on Jazz and ZIP-drives to find all the realted psostings and go through them to find hints and tips.

If you have spoecific questions about one or more options in the kernel configuration, just let us know and we'll try to help as good as we can. I'm sure there are lot of threads about the same hardware, use the search function :)

Erik
viniosity
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the obvious stuff listed in the install guide (code maturity options, etc) I would

a) Make sure you have the right processor selected in Processor type and features. Also select MTRR since you may need it for your nvidia card.

b) Give yourself Parallel port suppot if you're going to hook up a parallel printer

c) Under SCSI support definitely select SCSI Support, SCSI generic support and SCSi CD-ROM support

d) For file systems consider DOS, VFAT support if you are planning to mount a Win 95/98 system and NTFS if you are going to mount Win2k/NT/XP. Also enabling Samba in Network File systems might be useful

Good luck!
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is modified from my post another thread where a beginner was looking for help compiling a kernel:

I was a complete beginner when I first tried installing Gentoo. At that time, that was also my first attempt at compiling a kernel. These are some things I would keep in mind for any other beginners at kernel compiling:

1. It is much more important to have a working kernel than an optimized kernel at first. You can always try to optimize and recompile later.

2. Keep it simple at first. All you really need to get the kernel and Gentoo going at first is what's outlined in step 15 of the install docs and networking. The first time I got the kernel working (this was install attempt #5 for me) I literally did not include anything in the gentoo-sources kernel except for the appropriate file systems and my network card. I did not have scanner support, I didn't have printer support, but by god, I had a working system. You can always add the other stuff later.

Since I was still very much a beginner at that time, the only way that I was able to do even this simple thing was as I set the configurations in the kernel, I took a pen and highlighted the corresponding lines in the install doc -- this way I was able to make sure that everything got done.

In your case, I would definitely make sure you get a working system before worrying about your Zip drive, CD burner, and SCSI card. Remember -- these can be added later.

3. Compile everything directly into the kernel at first. You can decide what can be compiled as modules later. This will avoid the problem where something that the kernel needs at boot time is actually compiled as a module. If this happens, you can't boot, since you need to boot the kernel before modules get loaded.

4. When it comes time to add in your other hardware, search the forums. You'd be amazed at how much info you'll get by searching for "kernel nvidia".
pshook
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilburpan wrote:
This is modified from my post another thread where a beginner was looking for help compiling a kernel:

I was a complete beginner when I first tried installing Gentoo. At that time, that was also my first attempt at compiling a kernel. These are some things I would keep in mind for any other beginners at kernel compiling:

1. It is much more important to have a working kernel than an optimized kernel at first. You can always try to optimize and recompile later.

2. Keep it simple at first. All you really need to get the kernel and Gentoo going at first is what's outlined in step 15 of the install docs and networking. The first time I got the kernel working (this was install attempt #5 for me) I literally did not include anything in the gentoo-sources kernel except for the appropriate file systems and my network card. I did not have scanner support, I didn't have printer support, but by god, I had a working system. You can always add the other stuff later.

Since I was still very much a beginner at that time, the only way that I was able to do even this simple thing was as I set the configurations in the kernel, I took a pen and highlighted the corresponding lines in the install doc -- this way I was able to make sure that everything got done.

In your case, I would definitely make sure you get a working system before worrying about your Zip drive, CD burner, and SCSI card. Remember -- these can be added later.

3. Compile everything directly into the kernel at first. You can decide what can be compiled as modules later. This will avoid the problem where something that the kernel needs at boot time is actually compiled as a module. If this happens, you can't boot, since you need to boot the kernel before modules get loaded.

4. When it comes time to add in your other hardware, search the forums. You'd be amazed at how much info you'll get by searching for "kernel nvidia".

Got the kernel done using lilo this time instead of grub. But I'm in step 23 at this part:
/sbin/lilo

I get the following error:
Unrecognized token "image/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20" at or above line 10 in fiel '/etc/lilo.conf'

Unless I searched the wrong place -- I'm not finding that this error has been encountered (I doubt I'm the first) before.

any suggestions?

Thanks.
At0mic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the sample lilo.conf in the docs,
that should be:
Code:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20

If this isn't correct, a copy of the lilo.conf would help.
(and I never used vmlinuz, always bzImage from /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot... just an FYI)
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have said, just use grub. I ran into a similar problem when I installed Gentoo the first few times, but being so near the end ... I just said forget it, and went with what worked. :)
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At0mic wrote:
that should be:
Code:

(and I never used vmlinuz, always bzImage from /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot... just an FYI)

Why?

I always copy my kernels and name the vmlinuz. Of course the copy comes from arch/i386/boot/bzImage.

I name them vmlinuz-2.5.70-mm3 etc. I guess this is an old habit I have had since I started using Linux back in the days of the 0.91 kernel.

I agree that you should not use the vmlinux (not vmlinuz :) ) image found in the top-level directory as it is not compressed.

Erik
At0mic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was getting at ebostrig, there are other files named vmlinux in the source tree. I was just making sure he was copying the right one ;)
pshook
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At0mic wrote:
that should be:
Code:

My lilo.conf (just like the instructions):

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
lba32
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20 <-- This could be my prob. (The instructions say bzImage) I'll try that I didn't think it meant literally.

Nope same error.

label=linux
read-only
root=/dev/hda3

#For dual booting windows/other OS
other=/dev/hda1
label=dos
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: