Grub error i think pls help ]=
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
accountcreation4
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Grub error i think pls help ]= Reply with quote

hi, this is my second time trying to install gentoo, after i quit last year... i got the hang of everything but this time i got up the bootloader part and i think this is the problem... after configuring grub.conf, and using the grub manual install using the "grub" command, and restart, all it says is "press a key to reboot", and it keeps doing that... i haven't seen this problem anywhere else, and when i used the "grub" install command, the second thing i typed was to tell it to install grub to my root, and not my master boot record... i can post anything if u can help me, just tell me how, i spent hours last time trying to type everything... oh and i used genkernel and gentoo-sources to make it, but i don't think that's the problem, just grub... help thanks
der.gecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why don't you install grub into the mbr? do you have any other os installed?
accountcreation4
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah i do, i have a dual boot windows xp home and professional on the mbr so i didn't want to mess it up
der.gecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't have to mess it up, just make sure, that you have windows mounted like this in your grub.conf:

Code:
title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1

change (hd0,1) to your windows partition... in this case (hd0,1) would be hda2, since grub counts from 0. hda3 would be (hd0,2), hdb1 would be (hd1,0), etc.

you can also read the grub.conf.example for reference.
accountcreation4
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i added that to the grub too, but i'm just scared if i copy it into the MBR without it even working now that i copied it to root, and it doesnt boot, i won't have windows to talk to my friends in the meantime...i mean, in theory it should work, since its just another boot partition...right? but the error says "press a key to reboot", i think that error should mean something , like something went wrong
Rob1n
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you trying to boot it instead of the Windows partition then? I mean, what have you changed - the BIOS settings, the Windows boot menu?

Last edited by Rob1n on Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
der.gecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"press a key to reboot"

just means, that there seems to be nothing in the mbr... don't worry about that at this time. install grub to your harddisk, it should work immediately
accountcreation4
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

der.gecko wrote:
Quote:
"press a key to reboot"

just means, that there seems to be nothing in the mbr... don't worry about that at this time. install grub to your harddisk, it should work immediately

yeah it should not scan the mbr because i took the bootable flag off of my /dev/hda1 which is my drive c, and i put the bootable flag on my /dev/hda6... so it means it should scan /dev/hda6 for the files it need to boot, i thought it was not finding it but i changed my harddisk's type of detection from auto to "LBA" and it still doesn't work, i'm sure people have done it without installing grub onto the MBR, like the guide said :( ... i will try other things until it is absolutely impossible then i will have to use the MBR as a last resort
accountcreation4
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob1n wrote:
How are you trying to boot it instead of the Windows partition then? I mean, what have you changed - the BIOS settings, the Windows boot menu?

i just changed the bios detection of my only harddisk from auto to LBA, as i hear it might be the problem, but so far it hasn't fixed anything, and i didn't change the windows boot menu, i don't know how, i just emerged grub and installed it and hoped that after i toggled the bootable flag of my /dev/hda6 to on, and turned it off for /dev/hda1 which is my windows partition, that it wud boot from /dev/hda6 instead, which is the linux boot partition, but it just shows that error... if u need me to copy and paste some things, pls tell me the commands i forgot it from a year ago
Rob1n
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

accountcreation4 wrote:
hoped that after i toggled the bootable flag of my /dev/hda6 to on, and turned it off for /dev/hda1 which is my windows partition, that it wud boot from /dev/hda6 instead

I'm pretty sure the Windows MBR won't boot from a logical partition. You can see some workarounds here: http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130715
accountcreation4
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob1n wrote:
accountcreation4 wrote:
hoped that after i toggled the bootable flag of my /dev/hda6 to on, and turned it off for /dev/hda1 which is my windows partition, that it wud boot from /dev/hda6 instead

I'm pretty sure the Windows MBR won't boot from a logical partition. You can see some workarounds here: http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130715

ok i will read the section c with no floppy, and test it, anyone with more ideas and wanna help please do i will be here all day and night trying to fix this one problem thanks
accountcreation4
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i got a question, i forgot which partitions i selected after i typed the "grub" command, how do i find out what i responded with? the first question is root (x,x) , and the second is setup (x,x) is there a text file that says it?
Rob1n
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's not saved anywhere (you shouldn't need to rerun it after all). Presumably it's hd0,5 (if you've installed it to the hda6 partition) though that'd depend whether you have a separate /boot partition or not.
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

accountcreation4,
You don't have to be scared of anything.
I have a working laptop from DELL with a dual-boot Win XP/Gentoo, as, actually, a lot of people in this forum and using other Linux distor's. All you need is to put the Windows boot menu in grub and install it in _MBR_.

If you will have problems with booting either OS's come back here and somebody will help you solve it.

Thank you.
Deem3n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

accountcreation4 wrote:
hey i got a question, i forgot which partitions i selected after i typed the "grub" command, how do i find out what i responded with? the first question is root (x,x) , and the second is setup (x,x) is there a text file that says it?
Type in grub shell:
grub>find /boot/grub/stage1
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: