View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: controlling automounter Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of automounting, but there are times when it is convenient, like USB flash sticks.

My problem is getting the gnome automounter to back off when I need it to. I'd be happy, actually, if I could turn it off completely, but ideally I'd like to turn it off for a specific volume. I do backups using rsync, and have SATA drives in USB cases for back-up media. These need to be mounted/umounted by the backup scripts. I need to turn off all attempts by any automounter from dealing with these units -- all that crap just gets in the way.

Here is my fstab:
Code:
LABEL=BACKUP            /mnt/bu         ext3            noauto          0 0

So it picks up the volume by label. All backup volumes are labeled "BACKUP" and get mounted at /mnt/bu by the backup script at the beginning of the backup job and umounted at the end. I don't want the automounter to react to USB plug events for this volume. Complete automounting expungement is acceptable, but for bonus points I'd like the automounter to still do it's thing for CD-ROMs and USB flash sticks.

How do I go about this?

-dave
pizzach
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...you could go to Places>Computer. Then mount the drive. Then right click the icon that appeared and select properties. You then go to the Volume tab and in the mount options part add something like -h to make it do nothing for this specific volume.

General mount options are hidden in gconf-edit. You can turn off automount for external drives and/or removable media completely.

Note: I haven't tried the above...but it _should_ work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: