Mythtv Upgrade and Modular X
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberElvis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Mythtv Upgrade and Modular X Reply with quote

I need to update Mythtv from 0.19 to 0.20 so that I can get the new scheduling data.
The problem is that I do not want to upgrade to Modular X if possible.

I don't think mythtv really should have a depency on a particualr version of Xorg server, but I could be wrong.
I thought the only requirement for myth was Qt 3 with X underneath it.

I tried adding all the modular X dependencies to my packages.provided file, but I am am running into an issue with these virtuals:
virtual/opengl
virtual/glu

The man page for portage has an example of adding the monolithic X build to the packages.provided file in order to trick old ebuilds into working on a modular X system but I actually want to go the other way.

My questions are:
Should I even be attempting this? Will the build fail?
Do I need to create a custom ebuild that uses monolithic X, and has anyone done that already?

This a production HTPC box that my family has come to count on (it has been rock solid for over 2 years :D), so I want the least downtime possible.
I do not want to recompile X and deal with all those settings and I don't want to update my nvidia or ivtv drivers. (If possible anyway)

Thanks.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberElvis wrote:
The problem is that I do not want to upgrade to Modular X if possible.
In the long term, attempting to avoid updating to a modular X setup will be much more work than doing the update, and it may not succeed anyway.
cyberElvis wrote:
Should I even be attempting this?
Probably not.
cyberElvis wrote:
Will the build fail?
Even if a modular X installation is faked in package.provided, it still might.
cyberElvis wrote:
Do I need to create a custom ebuild that uses monolithic X, and has anyone done that already?
It should not be necessary, though bear in mind that even if you did that instead of faking the update with packages.provided similar modifications would need to be done for all effected packages.
cyberElvis wrote:
This a production HTPC box that my family has come to count on (it has been rock solid for over 2 years :D), so I want the least downtime possible.
Have you considered cloning off a build system (possibly using chroot on another compatible host) from the production system, performing the updates there then propagating the updates to the production system?
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Multimedia to Unsupported Software. Support for monolithic X disappeared a long time ago.
cyberElvis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply desultory.

I actually modified the ebuild in an overlay and have it to the point where it will not update X.

I will attempt the build in the next couple of days and post the results here for posterity.

If all else fails I will bite the bullet and do a major update.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: