Installation comes up short
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldenchild_gt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Installation comes up short Reply with quote

Hey all,

When I installed gentoo 2007.0 from the liveCD my cd drives and usb drives are not showing up. I am also missing openoffice.org and I'm sure a few other services if I look carefully enough.

Is this typical with an installation from the liveCD or is it a problem with some option I would have made during installation? If its just a problem with some settings during installation, would a re-installation of gentoo fix the problem?
Can someone please identify at which point of the installation process do I need to pay attention to application installation installing the relevant packages for the drives to work?

I would appreciate your help.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Openoffice is not on the livecd. You need to emerge that after the installation: emerge openoffice-bin should do the trick.
As for cdrom and usb drives not showing up... what exactly do you mean. Where do you expect them to show up and when?
Since a cdrom drive is fixed in the box it should be detected on boot. So a device entry should be created for it in /dev
Or do you mean you expect a notification when you put a cdrom into the drive (and same for usb devices)?

Gentoo installs a very basic system and optionally some packages that happen to be available on the livecd. It's up to you to install any other things and to configure the system. A lot of distributions do a lot of this for you, with gentoo it's up to you to do that. A reinstall won't change that.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: