help ... major post stage 2 install issues :(
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: help ... major post stage 2 install issues :( Reply with quote

I've been using Gentoo since the good 'ol 1.1 days (from stage1 too) and linux for quite a while longer so I've done my fair share of searching already and am familiar with most pitfalls of configuration etc ... :oops:

Motherboard: SinXP 1394 (brand new), USB 2.0
I'm using gentoo-sources r5
I seem to be having 3 problems that I've never encountered before:

1) I have a brand new Intel P4 3.06 Ghz CPU with Hyperthreading. I know hyperthreading works because WinXP shows 2 CPU's etc. I can't get Linux to recognize this even if I enable SMP support. What else am I missing (ACPI stuff? preempt?) Boot messages are along the lines of Warning: no sibling processor found ... Error only 1 CPU found

2) I followed the 'Installing a USB Mouse and/or Keyboard in Gentoo' from Documentation, tips and tricks but my USB keyboard is _still_ not working :( ... my mouse seems to be detected but the keyboard is useless ... a new logitech elite usb pro

3) I have an onboard Intel Gigabit 82540 LAN port. This is covered in the e1000 kernel module/support. I still get boot messages saying that it cannot bring up eth0 (might be a config issue but not having keyboard makes it hard to debug) But the biggest problem is (or will be) that my entire campus network is a piece of sh*t and litereally forces you to use half-duplex in many cases ... the problem is that linux uses inits to full-duplex giving horrific performance (this is also the case in my second computer with a 3com card) mii-diag is hurting my brain and doesn't want to work correctly ...

Any help would greatly be appreciated :(
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I can't get Linux to recognize this even if I enable SMP support. What else am I missing (ACPI stuff? preempt?) Boot messages are along the lines of Warning: no sibling processor found ... Error only 1 CPU found

I have a Dual proc system (AMD MP) and I could not get 2.4 kernel (gentoo-sources, vanilla, gaming) to recognize my second proc, or if it recognized give me a stable system. Basically I came to the conclusion it was something to do with the AMD 768/762 chipset or something else on the board.
I ended up using kernel 2.5-69 and it works fine. System is stable and both procs kick ass. So try that! If you want i will be glad to share my config.

As for your USB keyboard mouse....are you sure you compiled in the options for them in the kernel under USB section? My mobo (MSI) came wiht a USB 2.0 addon card. In the USB section you can pick the type of usb you have (OHCI, HCI..something something). There are three of them...on my box I had the USB 2.0 addon card, USB 1.1on board ports, and a third L-bracket card that is used for troubleshooting in MSI boards and has USB ports on it too...not sure if its 2.0 or 1.1. Anyways initially i was only building in support for USB 2.0 in my kernel and had a lot of strange things happen and strange message spit out (dmesg)....when i compiled in support for all three USB standards it worked fine. Also USB keyboard, mouse and webcam works.

As for your duplexing problem (by the way shame on your school for doign that :wink: ) there is a tool ..and I can't think of the name for the life of me...i actaully ran across it in RH 8.0, which lets you set the mode and much more on your nic card (ill search and see if i find the name of it..soemthign eth). You can possibly write a script that starts up before your net.eth0 starts up (and put in a depend statement in net.eth0 script for this script you will have to write) and configures your card appropriately. Maybe you can just modify the net.eth0 script and put your lines in there. I can't imagine it being too hard.

Good luck!
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I found the tool I talked about, its called ethtool.

Quote:

bash-2.05b$ emerge -s ethtool
Searching...
[ Results for search key : ethtool ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

* sys-apps/ethtool
Latest version available: 1.7
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of downloaded files: 70 kB
Homepage: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gkernel/
Description: Utility for examining and tuning your ethernet-based network interface

I decided to emerge it and i noticed the following:
Code:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.    -Wall -march=pentium2 -mcpu=pentium2 -O3 -pipe -c e1000.c
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.    -Wall -march=pentium2 -mcpu=pentium2 -O3 -pipe -c realtek.c
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.    -Wall -march=pentium2 -mcpu=pentium2 -O3 -pipe -c e100.c
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.    -Wall -march=pentium2 -mcpu=pentium2 -O3 -pipe -c tg3.c
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.    -Wall -march=pentium2 -mcpu=pentium2 -O3 -pipe -c ethtool.c
gcc -Wall -march=pentium2 -mcpu=pentium2 -O3 -pipe  -o ethtool  de2104x.o ethtool.o natsemi.o e1000.o realtek.o e100.o tg3.o

So your card is well supported =)
Jesse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info about ethtool about to try it on my old computer ... hmmm nope ... I get Operations not supported dang it! Now what did I miss?

I got hyperthreading to work (READ) if you want Hyperthreading! you _must_ enable ACPI ...there's a bunch of suboptions but for now I've just enabled all of them *sigh* This could be your problem on dual proc.

The USB is still a no go :evil: I tried all 3 of them together but it looked to me like the kernel was going crazy because it deteced the USB hubs/devices etc. like 3 times (one for each of those I guess *shrug*) but I'll try again ... anything really. I'm getting fed up.

The network will still not come up. It works fine (save the duplex issue) from the liveCD but I cannot for the life of me figure out why it's not working from a straight boot. I'm using dhcp and the only thing I needed to do on my old computer was run dhcpcd and it just magically worked .... any one know what I'm missing???

-- edit: should be ACPI and not APIC

Last edited by Jesse on Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the ethtool only works for the drivers it builds, so depending on what kind of nic you have on the box you tried it on it might or might not work.

Thanks for that APIC info, yeah I always selected all of it, so that definitly could be an issue. I didn't think of it much cause it had to do with power management.

Hey I got a nice little solution for your half duplex issue, you can get a router in which you can plug in your uplink to campus connection, and then enable the dhcp option in the switch. This way you will be negotiating speeds with the router and not the school network. As for dhcp not working...here's the basic check list:

1) /etc/modules.autoload - make sure you have the kernel module loading
2) /etc/conf.d/net - only two lines need to be uncommented
Code:
 iface_eth0="dhcp"
gateway="eth0/<gatewayip>"

3) rc-update add net.eth0 default
thats all there is to it.
Jesse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again.

Ok here's something weird for you ...
I actually got a kernel to work with USB and my network (nothing changed from before though so I know my config is good) but at the expense of loosing the ability to 'boot' my second CPU (this I think was due to me eliminating some of the APIC suboptions). So I rebuilt a new kernel with these options reenabled and I got my second CPU back ... BUT I lost network and USB again ...

For both of my computers here (my old one that works and the nearly working new one) all I had to do in /etc/conf.d/net was to change iface_eth0="dhcp". The USB is still giving me problems though. It says the device will not accept the address the kernel assigns to it. This is both mouse and keyboard now.
JoeW71
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a wild and crazy one-shot here: :)

Jesse wrote:
The USB is still a no go :evil: I tried all 3 of them together but it looked to me like the kernel was going crazy because it deteced the USB hubs/devices etc. like 3 times (one for each of those I guess *shrug*) but I'll try again ... anything really. I'm getting fed up.

Just a "hunch", have you enabled the correct USB branch + USB 2.0 in the kernel ?
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to look into your bios and see if there is some option regarding assigning resources. I have noticed in rare cases there are multiple options to assigning resources, such as auto, manual and some other ones. When I had issues I had somethign to do with it. Also try to pass "noprobe" kernel option...see what it does. Maybe its something to do with PnP...Im not sure. Just some thoughts.
Jesse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news and bad news guys unless someone wants to prove me wrong ...

Hardware Recap:
SinXP 1394 Motherboard
Integrated Intel 82540EM Gigabit LAN
USB 2.0 controller with SiS655 chipset
Logitech Elite USB Pro Keyboard
MS Intellimouse 3.0

I cannot for the life of me get 2.4.20 gentoo-sources to handle hyperthreading, intel gigabit ethernet and usb at the same time. I thought I had hyperthreading figured out but it seems I can't even boot those kernels now!? (actually reboots my machine right after failing to bring up CPU1). The eth0 timeouts I was receiving may be due to ACIP which I need to SMP/hyperthreading and the USB is still a big mess.

So I either have hyperthreading (20% of the time the kernel actually decides to boot :( without network or USB OR
Ethernet and USB with no hyperthreading ...

The semi-good news is that 2.5.70 works. On my first config I got hyperthreading, USB, and ethernet to work (and it correctly went to half-duplex yay!) The problem is that the USB keyboard driver seems a bit in alpha state right now esp. with respect to key repeat and actually detecting keystrokes. (anyone solve this one before?)

Any opinions ? Should I stay with 2.5.x with the flaky keyboard or just wave off hyperthreading for now and go back to 2.4? :(
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with 2.5 and get a ps2 adapter for the keyboard. They are under $5 i bet... congrats on the success. I think im gonna go ahead with upgrade to 2.5.70 too but I just ran into a major issue...my Radeon 9500 PRO has gone bad. So I got to wait till I get a replacement =(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: