nvidia and tv out log-out and console switch crash
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maKKus
Guru
Guru

Location: /Universe/Milky Way/Sol/Earth/Europe/EEC/The Netherlands/Limburg/Beek/Neerbeek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: nvidia and tv out log-out and console switch crash Reply with quote

I've a leadtek a280 ti4800-se video-card. The TV-out is working but whenever I logout or switch to console the system will crash. If I unplug the tv-out connector everything functions normal.

First I thought that maybe I didn't have enough power (my system has many devices plugged into it) but even switching to a 365 Watt power supply didn't help.

The tv-out is working with twinview.
maKKus
Guru
Guru

Location: /Universe/Milky Way/Sol/Earth/Europe/EEC/The Netherlands/Limburg/Beek/Neerbeek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas?
grzewho
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you using nvidia`s binary modules or the native xfree one`s ?

how about framebuffer ? vesafb, rivafb or none ?
b-llwyd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar setup, and i have discovered the following: if you have the tv-out cable plugged in when you start the computer, the TV will act as an extra monitor and display everything during bootup. Now...when it comes to GRUB and i get to choose which gentoo kernel to use, i pick the one with framebuffer support which is set to use framebuffer in 1280x960....now it starts to complain - the TV cant handle that resolution, so the kernel tells me my chosen framebuffer resolution is not a valid one. okay, ill just have to use standard VGA this time. Linux boots up normally, i go into X and do what i do...then when im done, i want to shutdown...but the computer hangs when X closes down to console. Why? Probably because once again - the framebuffer drivers can't switch back to an acceptable resolution...the only thing is - this time it wont just complain, it will crash.

However - if i unplug the tv-out cable before i start my computer, everything will be fine (with my vesa framebuffer behaving normally even after i shutdown X).

So, the moral of this story is - dont plug-in unless you really want to use twinview! and remember to do /bin/sync before you try to restart or shutdown - this will make the system write everything to the harddrive at your command...if you are editing files, then quit the editor and shutdown immediately after that, you might lose the changes you've done.
xplosive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have a similar problem!
I have a GeForce 4 MX Pro and my computer freezes completely everytime I try to log out, reboot or shutdown... I don't have a tv out, but I use the DVI-out because I use a TFT-Monitor and my resolution is 1280x1024, could you help me?
maKKus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that you have exactly the same problems as I have. If i unplug the tv-out cable before starting the computer everything is okay.

I'm not using any framebuffer so that can't be the problem.

This is really annoying, the tv-out option is useless this way, when tv-out is plugged in I can't log-out or switch to console without crashing my computer.

Does somebody has any idea?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: