ISO burn issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
motokitn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: ISO burn issues Reply with quote

Hi y'all!
Trying to load what I have been told is the most kick-ass OS in the world, but having irritating little problem: roomy's win98 system won't recognize download as .iso file. This system has recognized them before. I downloaded stage2 from ibiblio. Any probs there? Any suggestions for alternate methods of installing? Thanx for any help!
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my memory serves me right (gosh its been 6 years since I used 98...maybe more) win98 had a bad nasty habit of appending strange extentions to images you download. and if you try to rename it, it does it no good.
gentoo-1.4.iso.txt for example. You don't see the .txt part, and if you try to rename it, it still does it no good. I actually had this issue when i downloaded Red Hat iso a long time ago. Try this, use DOS, and look at the file name, I bet you'll see some strange extention. Rename the file in DOS...commands....hhmm..i don't remember.
probably:
START-->RUN
type CMD
cd <path to folder holding iso>
dir /a (i think)
ren <oldname> <newname>
ok double check those commands. If it all fails, you can always dish out like $5 or somethign like that and buy the cd.
https://www.tuxcds.com/section.php?section=42 ok its like $3.75. Geez! :)
DrkPlague
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

open up explorer, go to options, disable "hide known extentions" or something to that effect.
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could go into Folder options and uncheck the part that says "Hide extension from known file types".

Usually when you run your CD burning program and select the ISO image file manually it should take it irregardless of extension. You might have to adjust the extension filter in the open dialog to *.* so it doesn't filter based on .iso extension.

If you're comfortable with it, you could buy premade CDs from the list of vendors on the Get Gentoo link from their homepage.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: