The beuty AMAROK is almost useless[SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larand54
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: The beuty AMAROK is almost useless[SOLVED] Reply with quote

I really love this thing and will not give it up....but..
It always have been slow building up the collection, 3-5 hours having around 70000 mp3:files on a USB disk, but once that was done there where no problems until for a couple of month's ago.
Then updates, that are done between tracks that are played, begun to be slow. Sometimes several minutes. And then when I replaced the old USB disk(300GB) with a new of 500GB the next thing started.
If I start AMAROK and forgot to mount the disk it starts building the collection again. This happends if I forget to exit amarok before logging out which result in an automatic startup of amarok next time I log in. Then I have to wait more than 4 hours before I can use the collection again.

I use MySQL normally but have tested SQLite but there is no significant difference. I can't even tell who is slowest.

Is AMAROK that slow building up the collection?
Is there any way to make AMAROK using the old collection without building it up again if AMAROK lost the connection to files for a while?

Need help :cry:

Code:
>emerge --info
Portage 2.1.2.12 (default-linux/x86/2006.1/desktop, gcc-4.1.2, glibc-2.5-r4, 2.6.19.1 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.19.1 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
Gentoo Base System release 1.12.9
Timestamp of tree: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 05:00:01 +0000
distcc 2.18.3 i686-pc-linux-gnu (protocols 1 and 2) (default port 3632) [disabled]
ccache version 2.4 [disabled]
app-shells/bash:     3.2_p17
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.7, 2.0.33-r1
dev-lang/python:     2.3.5-r3, 2.4.4-r4
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r6
dev-util/ccache:     2.4-r7
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.9-r2
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.61-r1
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10
sys-devel/binutils:  2.17
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.16
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.24
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.21
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium4 -funroll-loops -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/gconf /etc/php/apache2-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium4 -funroll-loops -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="candy distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://ds.thn.htu.se/linux/gentoo http://mirror.uni-c.dk/pub/gentoo/ http://ftp.ds.hj.se/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/"
LC_ALL="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LINGUAS="sv en"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --filter=H_**/files/digest-*"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X administrator adns alsa apache2 arts artworkextra audiofile bash-completion berkdb bitmap-fonts bluetooth cairo calendar cdparanoia cdr cli cracklib crypt ctype cups dbus dlloader dri dvd dvdr eds emboss encode esd examples fam firefox flac fortran gd gdbm gensplash gif gimp gimpprint gnome gphoto2 gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 hal iconv imap ipv6 isdnlog java jpeg jpeg2k kde kdeenablefinal kdehiddenvisibility ladspa latin1 ldap libsamplerate livecd lm_sensors logitech-mouse logrotate mad mailwrapper midi mikmod mp3 mpeg mudflap mysql ncurses new-login nls nptl nptlonly nsplugin nvidia ogg opengl openmp oss pam pcre pdf perl php png ppds pppd python qt3 qt4 query-browser quicktime readline real reflection ruby samba scanner sdl session snmp spell spl sse ssl tcpd tetex tiff tk truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts unicode vorbis win32codecs workbench x86 xine xinerama xml xmlreader xmlwriter xorg xprint xscreensaver xv zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="sv en" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia nv vesa fbdev"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LDFLAGS, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS
:D :D

Last edited by larand54 on Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
stan666
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is an issue with amarok. Try to import 70.000 mp3's from an USB-Stick with any other application and you will see that it will take as long as with amarok. My mp3-libary is not as big as yours (about 2500 Songs on my HD) so the import process takes only about 5 minutes.
BOFH Excuse #450:
Terrorists crashed an airplane into the server room, have to remove /bin/laden. (rm -rf /bin/laden)
larand54
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I forgot to tell that I also have used a SATA-disk and it did present any significant difference.
I think it should be a lot faster. If I use "EasyTAG" to scan all mp3-files it takes some time but less than 20 minutes or so.
Amarok also have to update the database - maybe it is there the problem is?

Hovever, I can live with this if only the updates between played tracks will run smoothly and that I don't need to rebuild the collection each time I start AMAROK without having the disk mounted. Of course I have to mount the disk to use the collection but I think it should be enough to mount it afterwards. The collection is, what I know, stored in the database and don't need the mp3-files to display. Of course I can not play the tracks :wink:
stan666
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know exactly how amarok works, but I think if you start amarok without your usb-stick mounted it will scan all the songs and if a song is not found it will be removed from the database. Therefore if mounting your usb-stick amarok will have to add every single track that is stored on your stick because it has been removed by the initial startup-scan. Storing your files on an hard-disk should be a good idea in general.
BOFH Excuse #450:
Terrorists crashed an airplane into the server room, have to remove /bin/laden. (rm -rf /bin/laden)
Akkara
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had also wondered about amarok's slow scanning, even though I don't have your impressive number of songs!

Some ideas of things to look at that might help, which I haven't had time to try yet, so I don't know if they really do help:

Filesystem read-ahead: Scanning music involves reading the header (the first 4K or so) of very many files. If the system is reading ahead in anticipation of needing the rest of the file (which of course isn't going to get read in a scan) the disk might be spending time there.

File-in-inode: I vaguely recall reading somewhere that some filesystems can keep the initial part of the file in its inode. If that can be arranged to be big enough to hold the header it might make scanning faster still since then only the inode will need to be read.

Curious if either of these help any.
mrbig4545
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried unsetting the: watch folders for changes option in the settings, then you could start it without having the disc mounted, at least i think so
larand54
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbig4545,
Your advice resulted in an dramatic increase in speed - From more than 4 hours down to 4 minutes!!!

It's unbelivable so I don't dare to say this thing is solved, but hopefully it is.
May a rescan trigger the change detection? A rescan should disable such function so in that case this is really a bug in my opinion.

I'll wait a few days before I put SOLVED on this tread.

Many thanks to you all for your help and ideas.
euphi2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another hint (regarding the initial collection scanning and also the search). In earlier days I noticed that the sqlite backend is far SLOWER than the mySQL backend.

This was about 2 years ago. As the mySQL backend is working fine I did not switch back to sqlite - so this problem may has been solved in the meantime.
baeksu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larand54 wrote:

May a rescan trigger the change detection? A rescan should disable such function so in that case this is really a bug in my opinion.
That setting shouldn't change by itself. I have my mp3 collection (~25000 songs) on a samba share which sometimes goes down (pebkac), but I've never had to rescan the collection because of that.

Also, if you add songs to the collection, it's much better to use the 'update collection' option, as it'll only scan changed files.
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try adding the following line to /etc/conf.d/local.stop:
Code:
dcop amarok MainApplication-Interface quit
numbaonestunna
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larand54 wrote:
mrbig4545,
Your advice resulted in an dramatic increase in speed - From more than 4 hours down to 4 minutes!!!

It's unbelivable so I don't dare to say this thing is solved, but hopefully it is.

I'll wait a few days before I put SOLVED on this tread.

Many thanks to you all for your help and ideas.

One more hint... try adding a udev rule and turn on hal so that your usb drive is always mounted whenever it's plugged in. Unless you regularly disconnect it, that should help to get rid of your problem! Usually people find the synchronizing to be very useful because if an update is made while amarok is closed to your music, the auto sync will happily import all of your new music with no issues. In your case, it seems that this is more of a bane than a boon...
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitJam wrote:
You can also try adding the following line to /etc/conf.d/local.stop:
Code:
dcop amarok MainApplication-Interface quit

Oops. This fails because dcop is shut down before local.stop is run.
larand54
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

After almost three weeks without any problem I must agree that this problem is solved.
The "watch folders for changes" option may be useful on smaller collections but as it almost trigger itself it doesn't looks to useful - at least noot for me.

I put "SOLVED" on this thread allthough I believe there is a problem with this option. At least it is not a GENTOO problem maybe I should put it on an AMAROK forum?

But thank's to you all for the help.
:D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: