View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schroder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: VMWare config Reply with quote

I searched the forums and I found enough to get vmware installed and my DGA enabled. Problem now is I just need to get a couple things fixed.

1.) When I start virtual machine it says that it can't find my network adapter. When I lsmod vmnet is running and vmnet0 through like 9 is in my /dev. I'm sure I'm just dense here...

2.) When I start the virtual machine it says that it can't find a bootable cd in drive. The cdrom in the virtual machine is configured to use /dev/cdrom. I mounted it and can see it just fine in terminal. Why is windows too stupid to see it?

If I could get some help on these I would be off and running on my own for at least another hour.
Thanks once again. :D
H0bb3z
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of questions:

1. What version of VMware are you using?
2. Is Gentoo the host (running VMware Workstation) or guest (inside a VMware session)?
3. What networking "mode" is VMWare set to use?
4. Have you recompiled your kernel? If yes, did you include AMD PCNet32 drivers?
5. Have you tried running "modprobe pcnet32"?

Regarding the CDrom, VMWare allows you define which devices are available to the guest OS and it allows you to turn on and off devices -- the CDRom may be off. If it is configured to be an available device and turned on, there may be a couple things to look for:
- Make sure you've compiled the appropriate drivers into the kernel or as modules (like SCSI emulation)
- Make sure the VMWare BIOS is configured to boot from CDROM before HD.
Running Funtoo Core2 build
schroder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbez thx a lot for replying :)

I am still working on some of the things you suggested but wanted to get back to you and answer your questions.

I'm running VMWare workstation 4
Gentoo is the host (of course) :)
Networking on the virtual host is configured as "Bridged"
I ran make menuconfig and found that pcnet32 support was not selected. I have just selected it as 'M' module and will let you know how this turns out when it's done compiling, copying the bzImage, running modprobe pcnet32, etc....

I checked and scsi emulation is already compiled in kernel. Do I need to have cd's automount or something like that like redhat and others?

Again thx a ton for the help. I'll let you know how this turns out. :) [/quote]
H0bb3z
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay -- what is the guest OS? Is it also Linux, or is it Windows?

Some of what I suggested pertains to the guest OS (I made an assumption that the guest OS was Linux, so I might need to change some of my advice if its not!)... :?
schroder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guest OS is windoze xp pro.

I copiled pcnet32 as a module but now when I do a modprobe pcnet32 i get:

/lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/drivers/net/pcnet32.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/drivers/net/pcnet32.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/drivers/net/pcnet32.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/drivers/net/pcnet32.o: insmod pcnet32 failed

hrmmm.... haven't tried to run vmware yet again. any other advice ?
H0bb3z
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - now I have a better picture -- yes I do have some.

Just to make sure I'm on the right page here,

Host: Gentoo running VMware Workstation 4
-working CDROM
-working network
etc.

Guest: to be XP Pro
-won't boot from CDROM
-networking is not working (but configured as "bridged")

If I'm off on any of this, let me know...

Here's what I think you might check now:

CDROM issues:

When you start the VMWare session, click the screen so you can provide keybourd input. While it is still displaying the VMWare BIOS and Startup progress bar, hit F2 to enter the BIOS configuration. Use the left and right arrows to manuever to the "Boot" menu in BIOS. This menu should list the order that the devices boot. Modify the list so that it looks something like:
Code:
+Removable Devices
CD-ROM Drive
+Hard Drive

Then exit and save the changes. This should gaurantee the CDROM is booted prior to the virtual hard drive. If this doesn't work, check the VMWare settings for the vitual machine you created and verify that the CDROM for the virtual machine is configured (you might want to change it to IDE if it is SCSI, or try autodetect)

Networking issues:

Check the Virtual Machine settings for the NIC and make sure the device status has the "Connect at power on" option checked. If it is, you might try to use the NIC in NAT mode to share the IP address assigned to the host. This will at least tell you if it is working before attempting to get an additional address from the network (bridged mode).

<edit>
Sorry -- the PCNet32 driver was meant for the Guest OS! You don't need to install it in Gentoo. It is the emulation used for the network adapter within the virtual machine... :(
</edit>
schroder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.... We are definately getting there now the only messages I get when I start my virtual server are:

"Do not forget to install the VMware Tools package inside this virtual machine: wait until your guest operating system finishes booting, then select menu File > Install VMware Tools... and follow the instructions"

AND

"No bootable CD, floppy or hard disk was detected
To install an operating system, insert a bootable CD or floppy and restart the virtual machine by clicking the Reset button."

The CD Rom in the virtual server configuration is set to start at power on and is set as IDE 0,1
the hard drive is set as IDE 0,0

I did go into the BIOS of the virtual server and set it exactly as you stated so that it hits the CDROM first before the hard drive
Do I need to mount the cd first or do I need to set something in a configuration file?

H0bb3z
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schroder wrote:
Do I need to mount the cd first or do I need to set something in a configuration file?

Good question -- I've got the reverse configuration where Gentoo is the guest OS and XP Pro is the host, so I have nothing to emulate to check...

You can try mounting the CD or even ripping an ISO of the XP CD and mounting the ISO as the VM CDROM drive... Is the CD bootable on other platforms (outside of VMWare)?

I can't find any reference to this problem on VMWare's site either...
schroder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this cd boots normally... HRMMMM what could be the problem? :?:
H0bb3z
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can think of is that the CDROM is not configured to use the right device in the host OS.

Have you tried to configure the VM to use /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 to see if that works (ie. don't use a symlink like /dev/cdrom)?
Larcen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this ever resolved, for I can't get it to recognize /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /dev/cdrom or even /dev/hdd But when I manually mount any of those, I can ls the directory it is mounted in and see everything just fine. :/
H0bb3z
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I'm aware of -- I never had a response to my last suggestions and I haven't personally experienced that issue with VMWare...
Daagar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that VMWare can be very picky about your virtual mappings matching your phsical layout exactly.

For example, because of silly cabling issues on my machine, I have my cdrom on the first IDE port and my master harddrive on the second (silly, yes, but WinXP didn't care - and it is a bit painful to fix now). So... when configuring VMWare, I _must_ set the harddrive to be on IDE0:1 and the cdrom on IDE0:0 to match the physical layout (even though I'm specifying /dev/hdb and /dev/cdroms/cdrom0). I don't fully understand why, just that I must do it this way.

So, for those still looking for answer, make sure your virtual layout matches your physical layout.
Larcen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to find out, all my 'paths' were correct, all I had to do was click the 'Legacy emulation' button under /dev/cdrom in the CDROM config section. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: