cannot su
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SupremeOverlord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: cannot su Reply with quote

I have added my user to the wheel group and he is indeed there when I look in /etc/group; however, it seems that I cannot change user with the su command.
dxq
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you try to su ??
SupremeOverlord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it asks me for a password; however regardless of what I enter it says the password is wrong.
wyvern5
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you log out of Gnome/KDE and log back in?
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the output of id; ls -l /bin/su?
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Other Things Gentoo.
Not about getting gentoo installed, so moved here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I installed kubuntu on my wife's laptop once, I must have mistyped the root password in the installer twice, because the root password never worked. Is it telling you it is the wrong password, is it giving you an error, or what?

The wheel group allows you to use the sudo command, and then you use your user password. It grants superuser access for that one command.

The su command switches you to the root user, and you stay logged in as the root user. You don't use your user password, but rather your root password.

However, if you have questions about sudo and the wheel group, this may also be helpful:

http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Enable_sudo
Habbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enderandrew wrote:
When I installed kubuntu on my wife's laptop once, I must have mistyped the root password in the installer twice, because the root password never worked. Is it telling you it is the wrong password, is it giving you an error, or what?

Ubuntu-based distros don't ask you for a root password, only for an user one. The root password is scrambled (the account is "locked" with "passwd -l"), so the only way to obtain root access is through sudo. If you want to enable the root accout you must do "sudo passwd root" and establish a password for it.
EB FD   jmp $-3
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: cannot su Reply with quote

SupremeOverlord wrote:
I have added my user to the wheel group and he is indeed there when I look in /etc/group; however, it seems that I cannot change user with the su command.

dumb question: have you logged out of whatever shell you are in after you added your user to the wheel group and then logged back in? on my machine, if I want a new group to be recognized I have to exit gnome totally and log back in.
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Habbit wrote:
enderandrew wrote:

Ubuntu-based distros don't ask you for a root password, only for an user one. The root password is scrambled (the account is "locked" with "passwd -l"), so the only way to obtain root access is through sudo. If you want to enable the root accout you must do "sudo passwd root" and establish a password for it.

That was probably it then, and I was too tired to forget what I did when I installed it. I assumed it had asked me for a root password.

I actually loathe that the installer doesn't even ask me to pick packages, or even groups of packages. I'm not sure why everyone loves the *buntu installer. Users aren't complete and utter idiots. With Yast and other installers, if you have no clue, you can take the default packages, but at least ask people and give them a damned choice.

Sorry, rant mode off.
SupremeOverlord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have logged out of the shell. Its been long enough that I have restarted the computer and logged in many times.

I can use sudo command; however, I do not want to give sudo users all of the power of root.

The message I get tells me that I have entered the wrong password:
Quote:
Password:
su: Authentication failure
Sorry.

I know that my root passwd works because I can log in as root.

My output from " id; ls -l /bin/su" is:
Quote:
uid=1000(jake) gid=1000(jake) groups=10(wheel),18(audio),19(cdrom),27(video),35(games),80(cdrw),85(usb),100(users),250(portage),1000(jake),1003(gdm),1005(plugdev),1006(admin)
-rwx--x--x 1 root root 31088 Sep 1 12:11 /bin/su
SupremeOverlord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas?
firesock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had this problem on an older box. It's documented here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=23378 Q1.2

Essentially the su binary has not been setuid.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: