View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Weird artefacts in console mode Reply with quote

Hi,

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me. It's been happening for a while now, so not much hope of tracing it to any particular package upgrade I'm afraid :(

When I shut down, after KDM stops and I drop back to console mode, 90% of the time I get some garbage on the screen. The artefacts consist (AFAICT) of the top of a character of console text, with the pixels from a single row in the character repeated in a vertical stream down the screen. The artefact (there's only ever one) appears fully-formed when I drop out of X, and does not move throughout the shutdown process. The scrolling console-text is visible directly adjacent to it, but if there is more than one "streamed" pixel then nothing shows between them. It can start anywhere below a level about halfway up the screen.

Yesterday I did a heavy update job, which I started in a screen session inside KDE, then detached the screen and vt-switched to vt1, quit KDM and reconnected to the running screen session. There was one of these artefacts on-screen when I vt-switched, and later, as the job was continuing to run, more text got "trapped" within a rectangle surrounding the original artefact until I had an approx. 2cm(h)x3cm(w) rectangle of white at the foot of my screen.

Pertinent info:
Graphics: Intel 852/855GM
Desktop: KDE + compiz-0.5.0 + compiz-extras-0.5.0.2 (not from portage)

emerge --info:
Code:
Portage 2.1.3.9 (default-linux/x86/2007.0/desktop, gcc-4.1.2, glibc-2.6.1-r0, 2.6.22-gentoo-r6 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.22-gentoo-r6 i686 Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.60GHz
Timestamp of tree: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 19:21:01 +0000
distcc 2.18.3 i686-pc-linux-gnu (protocols 1 and 2) (default port 3632) [enabled]
ccache version 2.4 [enabled]
app-shells/bash:     3.2_p17-r1
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.7, 2.0.33-r1
dev-lang/python:     2.4.4-r4, 2.5.1-r2
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r6
dev-util/ccache:     2.4-r7
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.10-r4
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.18.1
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.61-r1
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10
sys-devel/binutils:  2.18
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.0-r2
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.24
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.22-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -w"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/bin/pptpconfig.php /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config /usr/share/wine"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/gconf /etc/php/apache2-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo /etc/udev/rules.d /usr/share/wine/fonts"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -w"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="ccache distcc distlocks metadata-transfer nodoc sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.blueyonder.co.uk/"
LANG="en_GB"
LINGUAS="en_GB"
MAKEOPTS="-j7"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --filter=H_**/files/digest-*"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/dev/shm"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://brazil/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi aiglx alsa apache2 asf avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bluetooth bzip2 cairo cdparanoia cdr cli cracklib crypt cups dbus dio dri dvd dvdread eds emboss encode esd evo fam ffmpeg firefox flac flash foomaticdb fortran gdbm gif gimp glitz gpm gtk2 hal i8x0 iconv ieee1394 imagemagick innodb isdnlog java javascript jpeg kde kerberos ldap libwww mad matroska midi mikmod mmx mp3 mpeg mplayer msn mudflap mysql mysqli ncurses nls nptl nptlonly nsplugin odbc ogg opengl openmp oss pam pcmcia pcntl pcre pdf perl php png posix ppds pppd python qt qt3 qt3support qt4 quicktime readline reflection samba scanner sdl session sharedmem soap sockets spell spl sqlite sqlite3 sse sse2 ssl svg tcpd theora threads tiff tk truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts unicode usb utf8 vcd vhosts vorbis wifi win32codecs x86 xcomposite xine xinerama xml xmlrpc xorg xsl xv xvid xvmc zlib" ALSA_CARDS="intel8x0" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse synaptics" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="en_GB" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="i810 fbdev vesa"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

I hope someone has the skills to diagnose this weirdness. I dual-boot with XP and haven't seen any such things there, so I'm hoping it's a driver/software issue rather than my 4-year-old hardware starting to crap out on me.

Please ask if you want any other output/configs =)
My_World
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried different framebuffer resolutions in the kernel?
Default to 1024x768@60 to see if it helps.
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, that seems to have helped. I didn't have the VESA device enabled at all before (which is where I found a default resolution setting so I assume that's what you meant), I enabled it and set my 1024x768@60, and so far I haven't seen any of these artefacts again. I also haven't had any X lockups on exiting from KDM either, so maybe this is a bonus result...!

Hey, I wonder if my TV-out works now? (Will test shortly but I'm ready for disappointment)
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaah! Just when I was enjoying much better stability, I upgraded to kernel-2.6.23-gentoo and suddenly the framebuffer resolution setting doesn't seem to be there anymore! So, back where I started, 600x800 framebuffer, frequent freezes and/or artefacts on shutdown.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: