vmware-modules blocked by something
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lord_ph
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: vmware-modules blocked by something Reply with quote

Quote:

[ebuild N ] app-emulation/vmware-modules-1.0.0.16-r1
[blocks B ] >=app-emulation/vmware-modules-1.0.0.16 (is blocking app-emulation/vmware-server-1.0.4.56528)

Quote:
Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! Error: the >=app-emulation/vmware-modules-1.0.0.16 package conflicts with another package;
!!! the two packages cannot be installed on the same system together.
!!! Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine blockers.

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked

This is the error message my machine gives me when trying to upgrade my vmware-modules. I have no idea what is blocking the install except for maybe the 1.0.0.16 package, but I'm not certain.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: vmware-modules blocked by something Reply with quote

It's saying that ">=app-emulation/vmware-modules-1.0.0.16" conflicts with app-emulation/vmware-server-1.0.4.56528.

If you look at the ebuild for app-emulation/vmware-server-1.0.4.56528, it has "!>=app-emulation/vmware-modules-1.0.0.16" in it's dependencies. That means that it depends on NOT (hence the !) have a version of app-emulation/vmware-modules greater than or equal to 1.0.0.16.

So since you are trying to install version 1.0.0.16, the requirement of not having that version or higher fails.
Mousee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: vmware-modules blocked by something Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
It's saying that ">=app-emulation/vmware-modules-1.0.0.16" conflicts with app-emulation/vmware-server-1.0.4.56528.

If you look at the ebuild for app-emulation/vmware-server-1.0.4.56528, it has "!>=app-emulation/vmware-modules-1.0.0.16" in it's dependencies. That means that it depends on NOT (hence the !) have a version of app-emulation/vmware-modules greater than or equal to 1.0.0.16.

So since you are trying to install version 1.0.0.16, the requirement of not having that version or higher fails.

Correct, though that still doesn't entirely explain why (nor do I know why myself). You need to mask builds higher than 1.0.0.16 in order to use the vmware-modules package for vmware-server, which is what I found yesterday myself. Most assuredly, all works well with older build of vmware-modules-1.0.0.15-r1 ;)
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: vmware-modules blocked by something Reply with quote

Mousee wrote:
slycordinator wrote:

Correct, though that still doesn't entirely explain why (nor do I know why myself). You need to mask builds higher than 1.0.0.16 in order to use the vmware-modules package for vmware-server, which is what I found yesterday myself. Most assuredly, all works well with older build of vmware-modules-1.0.0.15-r1 ;)

Likely it's an upstream requirement for that version of vmware-server since that version masks all versions earlier than 1.0.0.15 and higher ones too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: