View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed locate is on a cron job, daily if you don't change it. I had installed x11-drm Monday so
it was in there.
I will I have a look at your suggestion but I think I have hit a bug that is ppc (I am trying this
on an iMac G4) specific. From what I read I have an unresolved dependency on a libgcc symbol
(I am not on my mac right now so I cannot tell you the exact one). It is a known gcc bug on ppc,
in that this function, which compare 2 64 bit integer on arch that can't do it natively, shouldn't be
used in most case. This is supposed to be fixed in gcc-4.2+
I am using gcc-4.2.2 so it is very annoying.
dracula1985
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnY wrote:
Sure.

First I used find:

Code:
find // -name dro.ko -print

because it finds the file in real time, I think locate depends on a database updated by a cron job.
In my case there was one drm.lo here: '/lib/modules/2.6.23-gentoo/kernel/drivers/char/drm/' (the older one) and one drm.ko here: '/lib/modules/2.6.23-gentoo/x11-drm/' (the one built from the nouveau overlay ). I renamed the older one and copied the newer one to the older one's location. Then rmmod drm.ko and modprobe drm.ko and restart X.

Does that help?

JohnY

It seems that you have drm built-in into the kernel, when it's reccomended that you don't have to build it.
I don't build it at all, I use only drm from nouveau overlay, and I never had of these problems.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." --Oscar Wilde.
JohnY
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drac,

drm was built in originally, but I took it out, rebuilt and reinstalled modules. I did go back and forth between drm versions a few times, maybe that caused it.... I have seen other distros with a similar problem.

I'm pleased that both nouveau and radeonhd are both providing useable 2d at this early stage.

JohnY
JohnY
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fb wrote:
Indeed locate is on a cron job, daily if you don't change it. I had installed x11-drm Monday so
it was in there.
I will I have a look at your suggestion but I think I have hit a bug that is ppc (I am trying this
on an iMac G4) specific. From what I read I have an unresolved dependency on a libgcc symbol
(I am not on my mac right now so I cannot tell you the exact one). It is a known gcc bug on ppc,
in that this function, which compare 2 64 bit integer on arch that can't do it natively, shouldn't be
used in most case. This is supposed to be fixed in gcc-4.2+
I am using gcc-4.2.2 so it is very annoying.

I'm using gcc 4.2.2 as well (~x86) .... can't think of anything else that might help at the moment. I'm still to much of a newbie with git to do it all by hand. Studying though...

JohnY
fb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several messages in dmesg that indicate problems but
what I am worried about is this one: __ucmpdi2

Here is the bug on freedesktop:http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10547
It should be solved but apparently isn't.
Nothing you can really do about it.
dracula1985
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has news about nouveau developement?

It's about 1 or 2 weeks that, when I start glxgears, I have this output:
nouveau DRI driver expected DDX version 1-1.2.x but got version 0.0.10
libGL warning: 3D driver returned no fbconfigs.
libGL error: InitDriver failed
libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering

Using media-libs/mesa-7.0.2 in place of media-libs/mesa-9999 (from nouveau overlay) I haven't this output, but the fps it's the same.

With a GeForce Go 7300 my glxgears gives around 300 fps, so I undestand nouveau drivers aren't using hardware acceleration...

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." --Oscar Wilde.
Genewb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dracula1985 wrote:
Someone has news about nouveau developement?

It's about 1 or 2 weeks that, when I start glxgears, I have this output:
nouveau DRI driver expected DDX version 1-1.2.x but got version 0.0.10
libGL error: InitDriver failed
libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering

Using media-libs/mesa-7.0.2 in place of media-libs/mesa-9999 (from nouveau overlay) I haven't this output, but the fps it's the same.

With a GeForce Go 7300 my glxgears gives around 300 fps, so I undestand nouveau drivers aren't using hardware acceleration...

3D acceleration is a long way off, although it is being worked on. nouveau publishes status reports every ... 2/3 of a month-ish. They can be found on the nouveau wiki, the latest was published yesterday.
rvalles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: gallium3d Reply with quote

Any insight into building it with gallium3d and xrandr12 support?

It should be good enough for openarena on nv4x like mine...
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xrandr12 support is already in there, but for now you need to separately enable it in xorg.conf
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "nouveau0"
    Driver      "nouveau"
    Option      "Randr12" "true"
EndSection

About the unkown symbols problem, I needed to build agpgart as a module for the kernel, even though I have a pci-express card. Ideally the x11-drm-9999 ebuild should check your kernel config for this option.
xhub
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an Gallium Howto you have to look at this : http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumHowto

But be careful : this is fully unsupported by developers.
Don't ask them and don't report bugs.
rvalles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to get gallium3d as an option into eselect opengl, at some point.
rvalles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: nouveau, gallium3d and nv4x Reply with quote

Been using nouveau + gallium3d for some time with pretty good results; of course, that's because I have a nv4x.

It'd be very convenient for us nv4x owners to have gallium3d on the overlay, together with a "do not complain or file bugs if gallium3d enabled" warning
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just moved to layman yesterday, planning to pick up the nouveau overlay as the site suggests. But the nouveau overlay does not show up on "layman -L". Can anyone make any suggestions?

Are there any problems with switching back and forth between nouveau and nvidia? I presume I'll have to have 2 separate kernels, or actually get the module blacklisting to work, which I haven't been able to, yet. Suggestions welcome here, too.

I'm having problems with nvidia getting gart errors (both agpgart and nvgart) and dropping back to PCI, for a considerable slowdown. I don't need 3D, and nouveau sounds like an interesting option.
fb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
I just moved to layman yesterday, planning to pick up the nouveau overlay as the site suggests. But the nouveau overlay does not show up on "layman -L". Can anyone make any suggestions?

Strange, it indeed doesn't show up. There is a way to add an overlay that is not in the list
I just cannot remember from the top of my head. Searching this section of the forum should
help.

depontius wrote:
Are there any problems with switching back and forth between nouveau and nvidia? I presume I'll have to have 2 separate kernels, or actually get the module blacklisting to work, which I haven't been able to, yet. Suggestions welcome here, too.

No need for 2 kernels you just have 2 different modules that you can load. I just change what's
in my /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel2.6 and reboot. Unless thing are different on x86 where you can use nvidia
of course. If nouveau doesn't work you just won't have any kind of
hardware acceleration but you can shutdown X manually load nv (or try to load nouveau and see what
error messages you get) and start X again.

For what it's worth I finally got a patch for my problems on ppc and I am using nouveau without trouble since the
beginning of the week, not sure there are any improvements in speed for me so far.
Tom_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Gallium3d ? Does anyone here use it ?

Why isn't this overlay merged into the x11-overlay? I think it would be easier to use the same ebuilds (Mesa, x11-drm, libdrm for instance) instead of having them in two overlays, wouldn't it ?

Thank you. ;)
Tom_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can compile the last Mesa ebuild from the Nouveau overlay (mesa-9999-r1) :
Code:
              ../common/utils.o ../common/texmem.o ../common/vblank.o ../common/dri_util.o ../common/xmlconfig.o ../common/drirenderbuffer.o nouveau_bufferobj.o nouveau_card.o nouveau_context.o nouveau_driver.o nouveau_fbo.o nouveau_fifo.o nouveau_lock.o nouveau_mem.o nouveau_object.o nouveau_screen.o nouveau_span.o nouveau_state.o nouveau_state_cache.o nouveau_shader.o nouveau_shader_0.o nouveau_shader_1.o nouveau_shader_2.o nouveau_tex.o nouveau_swtcl.o nouveau_sync.o nouveau_query.o nv04_state.o nv04_swtcl.o nv10_state.o nv10_swtcl.o nv20_state.o nv20_vertprog.o nv30_state.o nv30_fragprog.o nv30_vertprog.o nv40_fragprog.o nv40_vertprog.o nv50_state.o   ../../../../../src/mesa/libmesa.a   -lm -lpthread -lexpat -ldl `pkg-config --libs libdrm`
mklib: Making Linux shared library:  nouveau_dri.so
nouveau_screen.o:(.data.rel+0x0): multiple definition of `__driDriverExtensions'
../common/dri_util.o:(.data.rel+0x0): first defined here
collect2: ld a retourné 1 code d'état d'exécution
../../../../../bin/minstall nouveau_dri.so ../../../../../lib64
Unknown type of argument:  nouveau_dri.so
make[6]: *** [../../../../../lib64/nouveau_dri.so] Erreur 1

While compiling it, i get a few warnings like that :
Code:
makedepend: warning:  ../common/utils.c (reading /usr/include/sys/types.h, line 147): cannot find include file "stddef.h"

Is that important ?

Nevertheless, the Nouveau driver works quite well! :) Thank you!!

Thank you in advance. :)
ashtophet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

Could PLEASE someone try to run two Xorg sessions[1] and report if it's working?

Shameless bump to https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-694594.html

Thank you very much in advance.

----------------------
[1] Just start one user as usual. Then if you have another user toggle startx -- :1 (if you don't have another user, use root).
Tom_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to ask it again but i would like to know if any of you is able to compile Mesa with Gallium3D ?
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I successfully compiled Mesa with Gallium3D. But I didn't try it yet. The thing is though, only if you have nv4x hardware some things might work. That's it. It's way too early to be using it and the developers won't accept any bug reports, because they know not much works.
Tom_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oki thank you. ;)

Yeah i know it's very unstable but anyway i wanted to try it. :D And yes i have an nv4x card. ;)

Actually it appears that this branch of Gallium requires xorg-server-1.4 and not a prerelease of xorg-server-1.5. So i'm going to try another branch (gallium-0.1-dri2) ... 8)
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still can't find nouveau overlay. I've dropped this for a while, and just thought to check it out, again. When I do "layman -L", nouveau doesn't show up, it skips straight from "nx" to "perl-experimental". At the moment, I'm also looking at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/layman-global.txt and just did a "layman -f", and still don't see nouveau in my list of overlays.

Now that I look a little harder, in layman-global.txt, nouveau is buried in the middle of the vdr overlays - out of alphabetical order. If it's in the "wrong place" is that keeping me from seeing it in "layman -L"? Once others have added the overlay, they have the particulars and can keep up-to-date, but I can't even add it because of the sequence problem?

I just did a more detailed analysis of layman-global.txt and the output of "layman -L", see that there are 138 items in the former, but only 67 in the latter. I'm missing a whole pile of overlays, not just nouveau. I've got the detail list available on request, but it is kind of long.
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius, use layman -k, or simply disable checks in /etc/layman/layman.cfg
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimpel wrote:
depontius, use layman -k, or simply disable checks in /etc/layman/layman.cfg

That did it, thanks. With "layman -k -L" nouveau showed up, and I've been able to add it. But then just a few seconds ago the boss walked in the door, and any vestige of free time I might have had disappeared. Since my job doesn't really need 3D, and my 2D seems a bit sluggish, I was hoping to speed that up. I've heard that nouveau is actually the best option for 2D performance, now.
pigeon768
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone else access the nouveau overlay's svn server? It keeps asking me for a password. =\

A lot of overlays seem to be doing that lately... wtf?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I don't have any problems accessing the overlay. I do have however some problems getting the nouveau-driver to work.

Is there any howto?

Xorg.0.log says: [dri] failed to open the DRM
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: