Howto Watch Analog TV with Xine [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradbeglin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Howto Watch Analog TV with Xine [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I am wanting to try watching TV with Xine, in order to use better post processing capabilities as compared to Tvtime. However, I can not find anything online that talks about how to do this, while there is tons of stuff on how to do it with Mplayer, and Xine's own documentation only says that is possible. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Last edited by bradbeglin on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
xine v4l://Television/189250

That's for a channel at 189.25 MHz.

I got the idea to try 'Television' from mplayer's output, where I get this line:
Code:
inputs: 0 = Television; 1 = Composite1; 2 = S-Video;
It might be different for your tuner.

But I'm curious, what kind of postprocessing do you have in mind actually?
bradbeglin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely give that a try (away from my computer right now). Um, as far as processing, I am interested in using Xine's deinterlacing filters, some sound stuff, and possibly some denoising filters. I know that I can reproduce the sound stuff (basically normalization and maybe some amplification in some cases) with ALSA and various tools, but the big thing is having a few more advanced deinterlacers, since I am watching tv on an LCD monitor. I have found that Tvtime's deinterlacing capabilities can be some what limiting under certain conditions, especially in shows that contain in between cases, like slowish action sequences, or things that have more jerky and flashy cinematography.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested in deinterlacers, I have bad news for you - xine's tvtime plugin doesn't work with TV input. You only have the old deprecated deinterlacers, which aren't really good, and those only if your tuner supports YV12 colorspace (mine doesn't, it only does YUY2). A shame, because xine has the perfect deinterlacer for your scenario, namely Greedy2Frame.

Two ironic things here: First, these deinterlacers were made for TV, but in xine they don't work with TV input. Second, Greedy2Frame is part of the tvtime plugin, but isn't available in the actual tvtime app.

I would suggest to use mplayer instead. It has a great deinterlacer - yadif. It's a bit more CPU intensive than Greedy2Frame, but if you're after quality, CPU usage shouldn't be an issue. And for denoising, mplayer has hqdn3d.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: