k3b thinks the media isn't supported
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trejkaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: k3b thinks the media isn't supported Reply with quote

Hi all.

I've been having this issue for a few months, updating from time to time to see if it's fixed. I haven't been paying as much attention to it as perhaps I should, as I've just been using another computer to burn stuff off. But I saw k3b remerge during a revdep-rebuild the other day, which reminded me to try and figure out what's going on.

What happens is, I try to burn (or even just simulate a burn), and it goes "media is not formatted or not supported", and "write failed: wrong media type". The type in question is DVD-R. Brand is BenQ, dvd+rw-mediainfo shows "DAXON016S", and that the disk is blank. Burner is an NEC ND-2500A, which was doing very well up until some point. The problem is I can't figure out *what* changed to make it not work.

Output from growisofs looks like this (after chopping off the top which is just more of the same healthy message.)

Code:
  0.36% done, estimate finish Tue Sep 25 19:49:32 2007
  0.38% done, estimate finish Tue Sep 25 19:49:32 2007
  0.41% done, estimate finish Tue Sep 25 19:49:32 2007
/dev/hdc: "Current Write Speed" is 1.0x1352KBps.
:-[ WRITE@LBA=0h failed with SK=5h/ASC=30h/ACQ=05h]: Wrong medium type
:-( media is not formatted or unsupported.
:-( write failed: Wrong medium type

The command it actually used was:
Code:
/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hdc -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=dummy -speed=1 -use-the-force-luke=bufsize:32m -gui -graft-points -volid TV-0025 -volset  -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR VERSION 0.11.9 (C) 2003 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND THE K3B TEAM -publisher  -preparer K3b - Version 0.11.9 -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /tmp/kde-trejkaz/k3bTWnFEb.tmp -rational-rock -hide-list /tmp/kde-trejkaz/k3bg4zJ0a.tmp -udf -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 2 -path-list /tmp/kde-trejkaz/k3bB5JUMb.tmp

(quotes have obviously been nuked by the way they output it...)

Kernel is 2.6.18-gentoo-r6, K3b is 0.12.17, growisofs is 7.0, mkisofs is 2.1.1a25. Most of this stuff was only recently updated, the obvious exception being the kernel which is next on the list of things to try I suppose.

Any ideas? I'm pretty sure it isn't a problem with the media as I'm fairly certain the same media did work in the past.
Shazam
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you try burning it with another system? e.g. windows or knoppix, to just see, if it isn't really the media?

i had an issue ones with not accepted cds, too, but i solved it by updating my drives firmware.
Trejkaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, they all work fine in my Mac. I've been using the same brand of disks for the past few months in the Mac while the burner in the Linux box has been exhibiting this problem. They exhibit a failure rate of about 1 in 100, but the greater majority have no problems at all.

Also I should note that this 1% of disks which fails, they do burn on the Mac, but they fail validation when read back.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: