WHOLE SYTEM Permitions !!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: WHOLE SYTEM Permitions !!! Reply with quote

Ooops! I did it again !
I ran a
Code:
chown -LR myuser /home

as root of coarse ! ( was trying to get permissions back on my /home partition since there is about 5 users from many triedout distros in there and i wanted to clean it up but I did not think about wine !!!!
Why wine well many of those home folders had a .wine/dosdevices/Z (link to /)
so I ended up chowning the whole system
weirdly enough I can still login as root but not su to root
I did not reboot nor shutdow X (wich is still logged in as my user yuppy i can use firefox !?!
now i thought of unmounting /home and run
Code:
chown -LR root /

but I tought this could be even worst as i know many files are usualy owned by nobody or sound or video etc...

is there something i can do I waited 2 1/2 days to get gentoo to compile (I just manage to finish kde there is not much installed yet) and I DONT want to reinstall that is the lazy windows way of things ! i am shure there is some script of fuction somewhere to do just that i did not change any permissions it's a basic plain install of gentoo ! PLEASE HELP ME !
stony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps: I realized it while chown was doing it's job so i did CTRL+C it but the damage is there !
stony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a way to get a lst of defaul permissions so i could do a script to fix that !

sorry should have edited my post instead of replying but hey !
stony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or if anyone knows of a emerege function that causes it to reset each files permition on a package qithout recompiling it !
I am trying to find a solution !

I know that if anyone can give me a list of all file permissions on a basic gentoo 2007.0 install that only has kde-meta, beryl firefox-bin

(with a hole lot of use flags)!
Code:
USE="   3dfx 3dnow 7zip X Xaw3d a52 aac aalib ace acpi addbookmarks administrator adns adplug afs aim akode \
        alias alsa cab rar amarok ao cups apache2 apm arts audiofile bcmath bidi blas bonobo bzip2 cairo calendar \
        caps cdb cddb cdparanoia cdr clamav cscope ctype -curl curlwrappers dbase dbm dbus dbx dga \
        dv dvb dvd dvdr dvdread eds emacs emboss encode esd evo examples exif expat fam fastcgi \
        fbcon ffmpeg fftw filepro -firebird firefox flac flatfile fltk foomaticdb ftp gb gcj gd geoip \
        ggi gif glitz glut gmp gnome gnustep gphoto2 gstreamer gtk gtkhtml guile hal hyperwave-api icq \
        imagemagik imap imlib -informix inifile innodb jabber jack java javascript jbig jikes joystick \
        jpeg jpeg2k kde kerberos krb4 ladcca ladspa lapack lash lcms -ldap leim libcaca libgda libnotify \
        libsamplerate libwww lirc lm_sensors lua m17n-lib mad maildir mailwraper mbox mcal mcve memlimit mhash \
        mikmod milter mime mmap mmx mng mnogosearch mono motif mozilla mp3 mpeg mpi mplayer msn mule musepack \
        musicbrainz mysql mysqli nas neXt netcdf nis nntp nocd nsplugin odbc offensive ogg openal openexr \
        opengl osc oss pdf pfpro php plotutils png portaudio posix postgres ppds \
        pulseaudio -qt3 qt4 quicktime radius rdesktop ruby samba sasl sdl seamonkey sharedext \
        shorten simplexml skey slang slp smartcard sndfile snmp soap sockets sox speex spell sqlite sqlite3 \
        sse sse2 startup-notification svg svga symlink sysvipc szip tcl tetex theora threads tidy tiff tk \
        tokenizer truetype usb v4l vcd videos vim-syntax vorbis wddx wifi win32codecs winpopup wmf wmp wordperfect wxwindows \
        x264 xcf xcomposite xface xine xinerama xinetd xml xmlparser xmlrpc xosd xplanet xpm xprint xscreensaver xsl xv xvid yahoo yaz zip"

jabol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit, you've messed it up... try downloading stage3 for getnoo, there are at least basic permissions. Than just rechown the things that don't work

and there is a small hope for you. most basic system users have a group with the same name. so for example, most portage files are owned by portage:portage, not portage:root, so if you rechowned them to root, they are now owned by root:portage (the notation stands for user:group). So you could guess the original owner by checking which group own the file...

Last edited by jabol on Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
stony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a bad idea actually !
I can extract the stage3 and make a script to compare permissions !
and as you said there will be much less left !

great even better with the groups stuff
did see it ! :D I feel i am getting somewhere !

Last edited by stony on Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
jabol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump* for you. see the second note, I've edited my post.

although it does not always work... some examples where it does not work would involve:
Code:
drwxrwx--T 2 root   gdm  232 2007-09-25 21:36 /var/gdm/
drwxrwxr-x 3 root   uucp  96 2007-09-25 21:36 /var/lock/
drwxr-xr-x 3 apache root  80 2007-05-30 14:42 /var/www/

But than:
Code:
drwxr-xr-x 158 portage portage 4680 2007-09-17 14:07 /usr/portage/
drwxr-xr-x   6 apache  apache   144 2007-05-30 14:42 /var/www/localhost/
jabol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, again a nice idea.
For Gentoo, emerge -e world should repair all system stuff. I believe that doing the /home directory right isn't a problem.
There would be only some catalog's like /var/lib or /var/www to hand-repair, but this should also not be a problem.

And mind it, most system files are root:root, but with liberal permissions, sth like 755 for directories and 644/755 for file (normal/executables), so it's not a hard guess also. The problem is only which are the restricted areas, but then, you didn't really messed up permissions but only ownership.
stony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes just ownership and not to all files !
I am workin on a script (in a chrooted environement to test so I dont mess it up more LOL) in a shell since I cannot su to root in a terminal ! grr lots of ALT+-> or ALT+<- lol

I mean I am working in a vtt terminal ! canot su in a shell ! lol
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem is that the chown will also have changed some permissions, namely the SUID bits of certain executables like su, so they won't work correctly anymore.
stony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I could just find a list of default ownership and permissions for a basic system
jabol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stony wrote:
if I could just find a list of default ownership and permissions for a basic system
stage3 tarball / emerge -e world.
domdorn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of system are you running ? 32bit or 64bit?

basically it could be done by doing a

cd /
ls -nR > rightfile
and then creating a script that reads the content of this file and chown the files according to the entries in the file.

at least, that would be the way i would do it.

greetings,
dominik
stony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

32bit

yes that is almost what i was about to do but I think I may just reinstall everything instead, it might be long but at least i will be shure no bugs are left behind :twisted: !
thanks anyway !
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: