Bootstrap failed. Cannot find -lc ???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: Bootstrap failed. Cannot find -lc ??? Reply with quote

Ok, I'm stumped, I cannot figure out at all what's going on. I started the bootstrap process and it went fine for about 5 minutes, then I got:

gcc -march=athlon-xp -m3dnow -msse -mfpmath=sse -mmmx -O3 -pipe -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -falign-functions=4 -maccumulate-outgoing-args -ffast-math -fprefetch-loop-arrays -static -o sed sed.o compile.o execute.o regex.o fmt.o ../lib/libsed.a
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.2/../../../../i586-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [sed] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sed-4.0.7/work/sed-4.0.7/sed'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sed-4.0.7/work/sed-4.0.7'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-apps/sed-4.0.7 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 28, Exitcode 2
!!! Static build failed

Can anyone make any sense of this? I edited my make.conf file just as was prescribed - and I used the exact formula given to do it. Here is how I have configured it. (I know it seems a lot, but this is a general purpose machine - and I'm sick of always running into walls in Linux where something isn't supported. I wanted to try to avoid that.

USE="3dnow aalib acl acpi alsa arts avi berkdb bonobo canna cdr cups curl dga directfb dvb dvd emacs encode esd ethereal evo fbcon firebird flash freetds freewnn gb gd gdbm gif gnome gphoto2 gpm gtk gtk2 gtkhtml guile icc icc-pgo imap imlib innodb informix ipv6 jack java jikes jpeg kde kerberos krb4 ladcca lcms ldap leim libg++ libgda libwww lirc maildir matrox mbox mcal mikmod memlimit mmx motif mozilla mpeg mpi mule mysql nas ncurses nhc98 nls oav oci8 odbc oggvorbis opengl oss pam pda pdflib perl plotutils png pnp postgres prebuilt python qt quicktime readline ruby samba sasl scanner sdl slang slp snmp socks5 spell ssl static svga tcltk tcpd tetex tiff truetype trusted usb voodoo3 wavelan wmf X Xaw3d xface xinerama xml xml2 xmms xv zeo zlib"

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"

CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -m3dnow -msse -mfpmath=sse -mmmx -O3
-pipe -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -frerun-cse-after-loop
-frerun-loop-opt -falign-functions=4 -maccumulate-outgoing-args -ffast-math
-fprefetch-loop-arrays"

CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

I trust this isn't too much information.

Please advise.

Q

PS

Also, didn't one of the USE flags used to be ntfs? I wouldn't mind some good built in ntfs support, but its not on the Use flags page any more.... I could always compile it as a module later I suppose, but that isn't so great. Its nice to get as much as possible out of the way now...
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrg! this is driving me nuts.... It keeps happening... what is it? Is one of those flags bogus or something? Also, is there a way to restart the bootstrap process without having to start from the beginning again. It takes forever and its a pain when it fails...

I know for sure its not the processor Cflags, since iI tried using safe Gentoo recommended flags too, but they failed aswell.

What is it the compiler is telling me? I'm afraid I'm not knowledgable enough to interprit what it is its saying.... :(

Q
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh rats! I think I answered my own question. One of those USE flags is dirty (it doesn't work) but which one? This is very odd as I used only official RC4 use flags. As said I want to have a general purpose machine that is largely focused on multimedia, the internet, open GL games and which won't hit snags when I try to compile or install new applications. If anybody can recoomend a good set-up, I would be very keen to hear it. Or better still if someone could say what the problem flag/s are, this would help me fix my problem very quickly.

Once more all responses are welcome.

Q
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your "USE " flags arent the source of your bootstrap errors. Bootstrap only builds about 7 programs, basicly your toolchain, the programs that build all others.
Try "emerge -f sed" you could have a gimpy download, its happpened to me.
If that doesnt work then try "march=athlon-xp - O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"

hielvc
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went for a much more conservative approach, selecting only a few USE variables (if I had have left it at that I wouldn't have had a very usable system). The object was to see if eliminating most of my USE flags solved the problem. It did. But it left me with system I doubt I would have been able to use. Anyway I left it at that until I read your response. Now though when I did as you suggested and typed "emerge -f sed", it gave me a message that this filehad already been downloaded during the previous sucessful (minimalist) bootstrap build. So I decided to try again, exactly as everything was before and I am now considerably further into the process than I have managed to get before. Unfortunately I envisage that this may take some time to compile all these options, so I can't say for sure if it will work yet. But if it does you have my heart felt thanks. Still it seems the install instructions should contain this advice also. I doubt it could just be a bad download, as I have downloaded pretty much everything several times over now. I don't understand at all if this information is so vital, why they didn't include it.

In any case, as I said, my sincere thanks for all your help!

Q
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clade to that you got past it, After you get more built you can probably open your "USE" flags up. THe funny thing is that we had a "Frys" open up and they had e-machine 30gig hd ,128 sdram, floopy, cdrom, keyboard, 800Mhz "C3" for $99. Well after playin with "thizlinux" time put "gentoo" and I'm getting your same errors :lol: So what flags did you change to get yours going?

hielvc
jfmiller28
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Same type of error Reply with quote

I'm getting the same error lc not found on a different build, Baselayout. I have trouble beliving that a bad USE variable is the cause as the bootstrap.sh scripte has `emerge USE="-* build bootstrap" in it. In otherwords it shouldn't be looking at your use flages.

I've been unable to get glibc to compile compleatly and I think that is the cause of my error, but if you find anything let me know.

JFMILLER
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've made it to gcc then a work around is
Code:
ebuild /usr/portage/sys-apps/gcc/gcc-3.2.2.ebuild install ( you might have to run this several times to get through the build, its like install )
ebuild /usr/portage/sys-apps/gcc/gcc-3.2.2.ebuild qmerge
emerge clean
rm -r /var/tmp/portage/*

This is a handy little trick that you can get more info on in develloper doc's.

If you do this to get through the gcc build then you need to run emerge glibc afterwards and that will compelet the bootstraping.

hielvc

Last edited by hielvc on Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
jfmiller28
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Found it! Reply with quote

first off the missing -lc library id glibc. It's one of the last things built by bootstrap.sh. It is very sensitive to the settings in make.conf (e.g. search this forum for glibc). Make sure bootstrap.sh succeeded. You should also be able to emerge glibc successfully. (note: this took my box 3 hrs)

If you can't get glibc to merge then ou should check that CHOST matches your cpu. Try `export CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"`

See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=55320

jfmiller
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: