View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sipos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Slow DNS for some apps but not others Reply with quote

Hi,
I have recently installed 2007.0 on my desktop and I have noticed that it takes a long time for firefox to resolve pages (I get 'Looking up...' for a long time then the whole page loads quickly). I have no problems with my mac or windows PC connected to the same router. I tried pinging google from the command line and had no problem (it resolves instantly and I get reasonable ping times).

If I try pining using the ping tab in network tools in gnome it hangs for ages before showing me pings with reasonable results. I tried resolving the address first (used the lookup tab in the same tool, took no time at all) and then pining the ip directly and the problem goes away. The problem seems to be with resolving IPs for some apps and not others.

What could possible be making resolving addresses slow in firefox, epiphany and the ping utility in network tools but not in links, command line ping or the lookup utility in network tools? I thought this might be random chance but I have tried again and again and I get the same problem in the same apps and not in others. Any ideas for how I can fix this? Do these apps use a different mechanism to resolve addresses?

Last edited by Sipos on Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
-Craig-
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you specify multiple DNS Servers in /etc/resolv.conf?
Are you using a proxy?

Different programs use different methods of looking up DNS records, it might be caused by that.
Sipos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No proxy, only one nameserver. The nameserver is set to the router which connects to the ISPs nameserver.
Sipos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Slow DNS for some apps but not others Reply with quote

I have solved this problem by disabling ipv6 support in the kernel and rebuilding with -ipv6 in USE.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: