View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snakeo2
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Best way to update to Gnome 2.18?? Reply with quote

Im currently running Gnome 2.16 and I think it's time to update to the latest version (2.20) I think. I would like to run " emerge world" but would like to make sure I have a working system after the update is done. Among other things, I need to upgrade to GCC 4.0, the latest gnome version, etc. What would be the best approach to ensure that my system is up to date with having to spend hours/days fixing anything that breaks during the update. Thanks in advance.
250GB SATA Drive
4GB Corsair DDR2
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the latest stable version is 2.18, not 2.20. 2.20 won't be stable for a while (here, i am talking portage wise).

there are some issues from 2.16 -> 2.18. namely, the expat issue. the library expat needs to be rebuilt and everything against it needs to be rebuilt as well. it is recommended that you use revdep-rebuild -X, but that didn't work for me. what i did was

Code:

emerge -av libcurl glibc expat
emerge -uDav world
revdep-rebuild
revdep-rebuild

however, the official people, who I guarantee know a lot more about this than I do, recommend you do this. Some people have had trouble, mine went pretty smoothly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: