System hangs at: Setting hardware clock to local clock [UTC]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazy-bee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: System hangs at: Setting hardware clock to local clock [UTC] Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm having a strange problem:

Whenever I turn on ACPI in kernel, my computer hangs after (at?) displaying the line "Setting Hardware clock to local clock [UTC]" in the init scripts. (Yes, I have enabled /dev/rtc in the kernel). After I restart the computer, the file /etc/modules.conf is filled with complete garbage, I get some error messages when booting but I get to a login screen. I module-update force, reboot, and the system hangs again at "Setting Hardware clock to local time". When I turn off ACPI, everything works fine (But I want ACPI since it's a notebook).

Somehow I doubt its really ACPI that causes the problem, but some init script that is not working properly. When I (with APM) boot and everything works, I'm getting "Setting system clock ...", "Configuring kernel parameter", "Cleaning /var/lock...", and then "xargs: environment is too lare for exec". But the system goes on fine.

What find very strange again is that the modules.conf file is filled with garbage after every boot I try, when the system hangs. Also, I had this machine working with ACPI at a certain period of time *without* a stop at that point.

I tried all kernels from 2.4.21-rc4 untill 2.4.21-rc7-ac1.

(Of course, booting from the install cd worked perfectly, with ACPI. 2.5.70 development kernel boots with ACPI and does not hang.)

Maybe someone has an idea what I can try to fix this, or even some idea how I can debug or track down that problem.
crazy-bee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. It's definitly a problem with baselayout. Going back to the stable baselayout-1.8.5.9 solves the problem. Really strange.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: