Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Problems installing Gentoo 1.4 RC4... HELP!!!!! (Please!)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stu L Tissimus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Problems installing Gentoo 1.4 RC4... HELP!!!!! (Please!) Reply with quote

I'm having trouble installing it... I've downloaded it twice, burned it 4 times, tried it on 4 computers, tried stage 2 and stage 3, all with the same errors, saying "0 out of 10240 bytes were recorded" (or something along those lines). Anybody else getting these problems? Is there a way to fix it?

BTW, here are my steps that I did before it.. It's been a while, so I am not positive of the specifics.

swapon /dev/hdaBLA
mkdir /windows/WinXP_Pro
mount /dev/hda1 /windows/WinXP_Pro
mkdir /windows/Downloads
mount /dev/hda2 /windows/Downloads
mkdir /TRANSFER
mount /dev/hda4 /TRANSFER
mount /dev/hdb6 /
cd /mnt/gentoo
tar -xvjpf
(Does it have to be in that order? It gets annoying, the xvjpf thing) /mnt/cdrom/gentoo/stage3_x86_1.4-RC4.tar.bz2

It then gives me a bit after that the error mesages of "Written 0 of 10240 bytes" (or something like that). Can somebody help me? I've used Slackware, but find that it has trouble with a lot of dependecies, and I've seen the way Portage works on my friend's computer. And liked it.[/i]
Hydralisk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could just be that I didn't have any coffee this morning, but it doesn't actually look like your mounting anything on /mnt/gentoo!

I think you should change the line:
mount /dev/hdb6 /
to:
mount /dev/hdb6 /mnt/gentoo .

If this doesn't help, check your partitions and whether you actually made a filesystem on all your partitions; it looks like your getting a filesystem error.
Me
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[begin useless stuff you should read anyway]So that's what you were doing wrong (yes, it really is Jeffrey here, so I know what's going wrong.). Until the chroot step of the install, you are running of the CD. That will be erased after rebooting. So the directories you are creating for Windows won't be useful.

Anyway, you really should get your main system up before going to use your Windows partations. I'll help you with that later.[end]

First, have you read the install guide? The commands you're using sort of tell me you're not.
Second, try doing a ping www.gentoo.org before doing anything else, including mounting your swap. If that works it'll be easier to help you, because that means your net is already up.

And yes, xvjpf has to be in order. Xtreme View Joe Pie File! :D
Stu L Tissimus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Wow, am I stupid. Reply with quote

Well, first of all, yes, I've read the guide. I just skipped a bunch of stuff, I guess. I didn't know I had to mount something there. Anyway, will it fix my problems?

And..... Sorry, I'm a n00b (not exactly to Linux, but you know what I mean). Jeffrey...?
Me
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it should.

One thing though, how do you connect to the Internet? Gentoo really isn't a 56K distro, and it's hard to install using one.

And it's jeffrey from gamefaqs here.
Stu L Tissimus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Okay, thanks! Reply with quote

I'll try it out in a second. Just figured out who you were! Anyway, thanks a lot! :lol:

ANd I connect with a cable modem on a LAN, so I don't have to do any ping yahoo.com or anything.
eleKtron
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol yeah. gentoo would take the better part of a century to install on a 56k....
peterk0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to read the installation manual over again, it so comprehensive and stuff, if u have used linux earlier it will be a piece of cake, just read it all over. :wink:
Me
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK then, if net works out of the box, this'll work out of the box :D! (maybe):
Code:
swapon /dev/hdaBLA
mount /dev/hdb6 /mnt/gentoo
cd /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/BOOT (your boot partation. you do have one don't you?)
tar -xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/gentoo/stage3_x86_1.4-RC4.tar.bz2
mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf
passwd (set a password, use something short, this WON'T set your final password! from now on you can press alt+F2, use the username root and your password, and use lynx to surf the web. Make sure to do these instructions on the alt+F1!)
chroot /mnt/gentoo (after you do this you are in your new system already)
env-update
source /etc/profile
emerge sync
From now on there really isn't any hard part anymore, just as you follow the instructions. From and including step 10. If you still have trouble, press alt+F2 during install and type lynx forums.gentoo.org, and post your questions (altough it isn't exactly very easy)...

But do follow these. The env-update step is commonly forgotten.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: