Gentoo On An Appliance
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krlloyd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Gentoo On An Appliance Reply with quote

At my company we have several PCs that are touch screens for labor entry. Currently they are running W2K and have IE loading on startup. The browser points to a web page where people can enter labor times ect.

I want to create a gentoo installation that acts as an appliance where the computer would not require a clean shutdown, I.E cold reboots. I am looking for guidance on how to do this. My first hunch is a "Ram Disk" ??

What kind of minimal install would I require to run firefox? Will simple X-Windows suffice?

Thanks for any advice!
tobr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the unclean shutdown thing: Install/set everything up, mount all file systems read-only, have a look at unionfs/aufs. In case of an unclean shutdown you will only lose the modifications made to the RAM disk. Looking at a live CD like Knoppix could also be helpful (to see how they do it).

You can run firefox without a window manager on X. I've never done such stuff but you would basically set up an ~someuser/.xinitrc and execute su someuser startx at the end of the boot process. (Don't add xdm to the runlevel!) Downside: When firefox crashes the X server terminates and you're back at the command line.
Another problem is if firefox dispatches from the command line (and it does IIRC) the .xinitrc script terminates and with it the X server. You would need to add something like yes >/dev/null to it.

On the other hand I think a small window manager comes with X which you could use (it probably doesn't take much space/resources).

As I've no real experience with these things, these are only pointers but I hope they help nonetheless!

Death to all blobs!
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobr wrote:

You can run firefox without a window manager on X. I've never done such stuff but you would basically set up an ~someuser/.xinitrc and execute su someuser startx at the end of the boot process. (Don't add xdm to the runlevel!) Downside: When firefox crashes the X server terminates and you're back at the command line.

That is not a problem, just wrap it onto some bash scripting. Something in the lines of "while true; do firefox; done" would suffice. If it crases of any user closes it, it will be respawn.

Alternatively, you can use any wm that is configurable enough to not let the user exit. For example, fvwm. Don't forget to disable the control+alt+backspace thing in xorg.conf (Section ServerFlags, Option DontZap).

Quote:

Another problem is if firefox dispatches from the command line (and it does IIRC) the .xinitrc script terminates and with it the X server. You would need to add something like yes >/dev/null to it.

I don't use firefox and don't have it installed. If that is true, the "while" thing will not work (well, it will just spawn zillions of firefoxes). Are you saying that firefox automatically puts itself to the background when started from the command line? Then maybe a small patch could solve that issue. Or maybe it even has any command line option to avoid that annoying behaviour. I can't test, cause I have no ff installed right now.

Quote:
On the other hand I think a small window manager comes with X which you could use (it probably doesn't take much space/resources).

That's "twm". But it is not too functional. I doubt you can disable the exit function on it, though I really have no experience with it. I always suggest fvwm :)
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered using catalyst to master the image?
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do LTSP. Cold reboots don't matter ('cux you're not rebooting the actual computer it's running on), and you can pretty easily (AFAIR) make kiosks with only firefox, for example.

poly-p man

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
tobr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
tobr wrote:

I don't use firefox and don't have it installed. If that is true, the "while" thing will not work (well, it will just spawn zillions of firefoxes). Are you saying that firefox automatically puts itself to the background when started from the command line? Then maybe a small patch could solve that issue. Or maybe it even has any command line option to avoid that annoying behaviour. I can't test, cause I have no ff installed right now.

I had some time to test that. Firefox never puts itself in the background. The thing is that if it detects another running instance of firefox it will open a new window in it and terminate. So if no other firefox is running, it behaves like you'd expect. This is for version 2.0.0.6, so YMMV.

Death to all blobs!
krlloyd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice :)

I was thinking maybe a diskless installation http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/diskless-howto.xml
LemurFromTheId
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case the computers have keyboards, don't forget to set CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=n .

Also, you might be interested in Opera's kiosk mode, unless you definitely want it to be Firefox.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: