Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Which module for Zyxel G-302 v3 (Realtek RTL-8185)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montellese
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Which module for Zyxel G-302 v3 (Realtek RTL-8185) Reply with quote

Hey ppl

I got my hands on an old computer which I want to use as a server running with Gentoo. The computer is quite old so there wasn't any WLAN PCI-Adapter included. That's why I bought the Zyxel G-301 v3 with a Realtek RTL-8185 chip.
After testing the adapter with Windows XP (which was still installed) I restarted the computer and put the Gentoo Minimal x86 2007.0 R1 into the cd reader and booted the disc. But now I'm already stuck trying to connect to the internet. I didn't get that far because ifconfig and iwconfig do not list my WLAN-Adapter only the LAN adapter. I used lspci to get more detailed information to find the correct module which I can load with modprobe.

This is the line concerning the WLAN adapter prompted by lspci:
Code:
02:04.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8185 IEEE 802.11a/b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 20)

So I listed all modules with the command from the manual
Code:
ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net
but there is no module listed I can imagine that is is the right one. The only similar is r8169.ko

I also tried
Code:
ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
but there are only some ipw modules.

Using google and the search function of this board I read something about the module r8180 and so I tried
Code:
modprobe r8180
but I only received the message, that there's no such module.

I would be very pleased if someone could help me. I already installed Gentoo on my laptop once but there it was easy coz I had an ipw2200 which is loaded automatically....

Thx for your help and time in advance.
Mark Clegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Belkin 11g cards which also use the RTL8185 chipset. I couldn't find any native support for my cards and had to use ndiswrapper and the windows NDIS drivers supplied with the cards.

If you search the forums for ndiswrapper you should find plenty of help setting for this up.
Montellese
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for your hint!
I already read some posts about how to load the Windows drivers but I don't think that this can help me during the installation. I can't load the Windows drivers from the CD I've got, because there's already the Gentoo Minimal CD in the drive and I don't see any other possibility of loading the drivers.

Does this mean, that I can't use the Gentoo Minimal CD for installation? Do I have to use the live cd to install the system, setup the stuff with the drivers and then download all the other stuff with emerge?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: