Audio CD Issues In gnome-cd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IronManRust
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Audio CD Issues In gnome-cd Reply with quote

On a fresh install of Gentoo I am unable to get gnome-cd to play any audio CDs. Data CDs mount and access fine. I'm running Gnome (gnome-light) 2.18.3 on a 2.6.22-r5 kernel.

Selecting the CD Player entry from the Applications menu brings up the UI fine but the display indicates that I have a Drive Error. Hitting the play button displays an error message that states "Could not open CD" and I get no further.

If I attempt to run gnome-cd from a terminal I receive the following output:

Code:

** (gnome-cd:31153): WARNING **: Error opening CD
** (gnome-cd:31153): WARNING **: ERROR: A Audio CD source plugin is required to play this stream, but not installed.

The second message repeats until I close the UI.

Some pertinent configuration options:

Code:

$ cat /etc/make.conf | grep USE
USE="X gnome -kde gtk gtk2 -qt3 -qt4 firefox -mozilla doc opengl alsa gstreamer flac mad mp3 apache2 php mysql emacs ftp -acl samba quicktime mpeg avi xvid divx4linux gif jpeg gd xvmc nvidia hal"

Code:

$ cat /etc/group | grep shawn
wheel::10:root,shawn
floppy::11:root,haldaemon,shawn
audio:!:18:shawn
cdrom::19:haldaemon,shawn
video:!:27:root,shawn
shawn:x:1000:shawn
plugdev:!:1005:haldaemon,shawn

(my day-to-day user is 'shawn' if you hadn't already guessed)
Code:

$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Oct  3 18:43 /dev/cdrom -> hdc
$ ls -l /dev/hdc   
brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 22, 0 Oct  3 18:43 /dev/hdc

Code:

$ cat /etc/fstab | grep cdrom
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom      auto            noauto,user             0 0

Audacious is also unable to play any audio CDs, though it can play mp3 files just fine. I'm also getting audio from other areas of my system including mplayer and the Sound Preferences test tones.

If anyone needs more information feel free to request it, but at the moment I'm at a loss as to where else to check. In the grand scheme of things I'll probably never play any audio CDs on this box, but I know it'll bug me if I don't get things working. :wink:
TreeLearner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: [Solved] gnome-cd: drive error issue Reply with quote

I had the exact same problem, but

Code:

emerge -va gst-plugins-cdio

seems to do the trick :D

I believe dev-libs/libcdio being not installed was causing the problem.
gst-plugins-base or gst-plugins-good doesn't seem to have a a dependency
on dev-libs/libcdio and it is not emerged along with them.
IronManRust
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Getting Warmer ... Reply with quote

Thanks, that was at least a step in the right direction. :D

The package gst-plugins-cdio was masked, but once I forced it to install portage also installed dev-libs/libcdio as you indicated.

If I try to run gnome-cd from the Gnome Applications menu it now successfully connects to the internet to look up the CDDB data, but when I try to play a track it throws a message box saying "Error Playing CD: (none)" which is less than helpful.

If I try to run gnome-cd from a terminal window it looks up the CDDB data and allows me to play about the first 3-5 seconds of a track and then skips to the next track, repeatedly, until it reaches the end of the CD. It's as if it's trying to do some sort of Intro Play mode. Also, every time gnome-cd skips to the next track the terminal window displays two warnings:

Code:

WARNING **: ERROR: Could not read from CD.
WARNING **: ERROR: Internal data flow error.

Additionally, before it begins playing the introduction to a track it makes a quick hiss and then begins playing at a normal volume and sound quality.
TreeLearner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Strange Problem ~O~ Reply with quote

That's very strange because it worked out real nice for me;;

Have you checked whether there is anything wrong with the audio cd itself?

Could you post the ouput from dmesg?
Mine displays:
Code:

# dmesg | grep CD
hdc: CRD-8482B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: ATAPI 48X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20

Or maybe you could try enabling SCSI CDROM support in the kernel?
Code:

# cd /usr/src/linux/
# make menuconfig

Device Drivers -->
SCSI device support-->
<*> SCSI device support
<*> SCSI CDROM support

# make
# make modules_install
# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.22-gentoo-r5

Now reboot your computer and check if it is working now. Good Luck! :)
IronManRust
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Additional Checks Reply with quote

I've tried three different pressed CDs as well as a burned CD with the same results. The CDs were verified as working in my home theater, so I know the discs are not the issue. This computer used to have Windows XP on it and the CD drive was able to rip CDs to FLAC and MP3 then so I'm confident the drive is good.

As requested, here's my dmesg output:

Code:

$ dmesg | grep CD
Linux version 2.6.22-gentoo-r5 (root@livecd) (gcc version 4.1.1 (Gentoo 4.1.1-r3)) #1 Wed Sep 26 23:34:22 CDT 2007
hdc: MATSHITA CR-583, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: ATAPI 8X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, DMA
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20

Yes, that is an 8x CD-ROM. No laughing.

The drive is IDE, not SCSI, so I doubt adding SCSI CD-ROM support to my kernel will help anything.

Unless you or anyone else have any other ideas I think I'm going to admit defeat here, at least until media-plugins/gst-plugins-cdio is no longer ~x86 masked. Who knows, maybe it's masked for poor performance such as this?

TreeLearner - Thanks for trying to help.
Everyone Else - Thanks for looking!
IronManRust
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Masked Packages Reply with quote

As a follow-up question, does anyone know where to find information about why a package such as, oh, I don't know, media-plugins/gst-plugins-cdio, is ~x86 masked? I did a quick skim of the Portage website and didn't notice anything.
IronManRust
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Even Closer Reply with quote

So, on a whim I decided to do a little more searching on this topic and came across a forum post that asserted that gst-plugins-cdio was masked in favor of gst-plugins-cdparanoia. It sounded like a reasonable explanation, so I did the following:

* Unmerged gst-plugins-cdio
* Added "cdparanoia" to my USE flags
* Rebuilt my system with the --NEWUSE switch
* Emerged gst-plugins-cdparanoia

Lo and behold, I no longer get the Disc Error I was receiving before. Now, the audio CD plays without any errors or warnings, but I'm still getting the hiss/pop about every five seconds.

Perhaps someone will have a suggestion at this point ...
wsz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Just a few hints.. Reply with quote

I had the same problem with gnome-cd, although I could play audio CD's with mplayer (compiled with cdparanoia):
Code:
** (gnome-cd:21427): WARNING **: Error opening CD

** (gnome-cd:21427): WARNING **: ERROR: A Audio CD source plugin is required to play this stream, but not installed.

After installing gst-plugins-cdparanoia, I was getting this:
Code:
** (gnome-cd:10069): WARNING **: Error opening CD

** (gnome-cd:10069): WARNING **: ERROR: Could not open CD device for reading.

..so I linked my CD/DVD device (/dev/sr0) as /dev/cdrom (by default it was only linked as /dev/cdrom1). Now luckily it's all working ;)

PS
After switching to 2.6.23, I couldn't access my CD/DVD drive at all - I was getting buffer i/o errors. From what I'd read on the net, it indicated hardware problems with my drive. Fortunately, though, it turned out that having compiled my kernel only with CONFIG_ATA (and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR) instead of CONFIG_IDE, the buffer i/o errors disappeared.
I also hope now to be able to burn DVD's (earlier I could only burn CD-ROM's), but that's still to be checked ;)

UPDATE:
As static/manually made links in /dev are lost (at least in my setup), I just had to edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules there's the link /dev/cdrom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: