mutt with unicode
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
okram
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: mutt with unicode Reply with quote

Could anyone help me set up mutt so that I can run it in a unicode terminal ($LC_CTYPE=en_IN.utf8 konsole) and read emails in different encodings, in particular Chinese in addition to Western European iso-8859-1.

I'm using mutt (tried both 1.4.1-r1 and 1.5.4-r1) built with the following use flags
Code:
[ebuild   R  ] net-mail/mutt-1.5.4-r1  +ssl +nls +slang +cjk +crypt +imap +mbox
but am getting really stuck on all the different settings in muttrc, mailcap etc that are needed to recognise the encodings of messages and convert from them to utf8.
Help, or the relevant extracts from working sample config files, or pointers to which things I need to read up on, would be most welcome.
far
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to build a unicode-enabled version of mutt, but it required a utf-8-enabled version of ncurses. Mutt can be built with either slang or ncurses, but only curses seem to support utf-8. You can't just simply enable utf-8 support in curses though. You have to build a normal version and a utf-8 version. You get two libraries, one called libncurses and one called libncursesw. I modified the ncurses ebuild to build the utf-8 version.
When you have done that you still need an editor with utf-8 support.
okram
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. I just browsed through the ncurses sources and saw that this in the INSTALL file:
Quote:
If you configure using the --enable-widec option, a "w" is appended to the library names (e.g., libncursesw.a), and the resulting ibraries support wide-characters, e.g., via a UTF-8 locale.
Did you just add this option to the ebuild and then rebuild?

How did you get both versions installed at the same time, by using slots in the ebuild? Oh, and excuse my ignorance, but why will I need both ncurses versions?

My struggles with utf-8 have made me think, wouldn't it be nice to start a gentoo-utf8 where everything possible, from stage 1, is unicode enabled? How difficult would that be?
far
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okram wrote:
Did you just add this option to the ebuild and then rebuild?

Basically, yeah. I created a copy of the ebuild in my overlay portage tree in sys-libs/ncursesw.
okram wrote:
How did you get both versions installed at the same time, by using slots in the ebuild?

No. The two libraries get different names, so they can coexist. There might be other problems. It was just a quick hack.
okram wrote:
Oh, and excuse my ignorance, but why will I need both ncurses versions?

They probably couldn't maintain backward compability and add unicode support, so they split it into two libraries. You need the old one for programs that don't know what utf-8 is.
okram wrote:
My struggles with utf-8 have made me think, wouldn't it be nice to start a gentoo-utf8 where everything possible, from stage 1, is unicode enabled? How difficult would that be?

I'm all for utf-8, but I really don't think a fork is necessary. Better to have a USE flag or something.
okram
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the info.

Oh, and I never meant to start a fork. A USE flag is exactly what I had in mind :)

That really would be nice.
noathustra
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using mutt with UTF-8 and slang. However I have a display problem in the pager such that wide characters create a "space" in the display with the following characters pushed over, ultimately wrapping onto the next line

For example, the thread marker will create a space as will Japanese characters.

I have tried recompiling mutt with slang and curses. I have tried different ssh programs (putty .53b, .54, and ssh in Debian) I emerged the latest mutt use ~x86. I don't know what else to do.
noathustra
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: With slang 1.4.9-r1 the problem is SOLVED. I can now use mutt/slang and read mail sent in UTF-8 format with no screen problems. Cheers to the developers!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: