Acer Aspire 3680
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuzzyhair
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Acer Aspire 3680 Reply with quote

I am having a hard time installing Gentoo on my Acer Aspire. I have some questions.

1. If I use the GUI installer will it give me the same performance as an install from the minimal cd (using genkernel)? (if the answer is yes, I won't need to answer to other questions.
2. Eventhough I ran genkernel all the bootup would not recognize my hard drive listed as /dev/sda. I think the kernel didn't know how to work with sda. What do I have to mark in menuconfig to fix this?

Sorry if my questions aren't clear or I don't make sense. I am very new to gentoo, but i am attached to it.
Pithlit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I tried using the GUI installer it made poop. Seriously. Dunno if things got fixed by now but I'd strongly suggest the traditional install method - read the guide (learn things while you do it) and type stuff into the console.

as for your hdd issue... /dev/sda... I assume that's a SATA drive. Genkernel _should_ be able to do it right. At least it does for other people. Are you sure it's sda and not sdb? Did you configure your lilo/grub correctly? There's quite a few things that could've gone wrong.
fuzzyhair
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pithlit wrote:
Last time I tried using the GUI installer it made poop. Seriously. Dunno if things got fixed by now but I'd strongly suggest the traditional install method - read the guide (learn things while you do it) and type stuff into the console.

as for your hdd issue... /dev/sda... I assume that's a SATA drive. Genkernel _should_ be able to do it right. At least it does for other people. Are you sure it's sda and not sdb? Did you configure your lilo/grub correctly? There's quite a few things that could've gone wrong.

even if grub wasn't configured right, it asked what hdd was my root on and i said
/dev/sda3

That should have booted it but it didn't.

Weird that it recognized my boot but not my root...
Pithlit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you worded your question wrong? As I understood it from your first post
Quote:
Eventhough I ran genkernel all the bootup would not recognize my hard drive listed as /dev/sda.
that would mean your kernel doesn't recognise your hdd altogether whereas your 2nd post
Quote:
Weird that it recognized my boot but not my root...
means your sata support is just fine but you failed somewhere else... like passing the "root" option to grub.

Code:
title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.19-r5
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.19-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda3 udev
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.19-gentoo-r5
Something like this maybe? Adjust according to your setup and please excuse if I misundersood completely - I don't have (and never had) dealt with SATA or Grub (lilo's my baby).

*edit* typo :cry:
fuzzyhair
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm...

It said that sda3 wasn't recognized as a root partition. Do I have to make it a root partition somewhere along the line? It's formatted correctly.

Even if grub was messed up it asked me what my root partition was and i told it /dev/sda3 and it still didn't work. This leads me away from thinking it was grub.

I followed the handbook step by step. I get closer every time though.

I tried the live cd. It pooped out haha. Oh well.

#off topic rant

I will try to install again. This distro may be one of the hardest, but I believe it has some of the best documentation and people attached to it.

I am going to get an install going on my other computer. It's a piece of crap, but I need a computer to use for now.

After that I will use Gentoo on my laptop.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: