more grubby problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mboots
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: more grubby problems Reply with quote

was wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm installing gentoo for the first time (starting at stage 2), and everything was working out good until the first reboot. Grub loads sucessfully, and can boot my windows partition, but when I try to boot Gentoo, my computer reboots immediately without any error messages.

Here's my partition scheme:

/dev/hda1 (hd0,0) Windows (bootable)
/dev/hda2 (hd0,1) Boot partition (bootable)
/dev/hda3 (hd0,2) Swap
/dev/hda4 (hd0,3) Linux root partition

/dev/hda2 is mounted on /boot of root partition.

my grub config looks something like this:
---------------------------------------------->

default 1
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/bzImage root=/dev/hda4

title=Windows
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1
---------------------------------------------->

again, it boots windows fine, and can find all the files (even the splash logo). I wonder if my kernel is maybe messed up - I'm recompiling it right now. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks guys.
bashnix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you are done recompiling the kernel, try it. That may have been the problem. Make sure the partition is mounted before you copy the kernel over. (I know it sounds stupid but it has happened to the best of us.)

If that still doesn't work try running the commands yourself from the grub command line. You can do that by hitting 'c' when the menu first comes up. See if the errors are more visible.
mboots
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: step by step Reply with quote

ok... here goes:

[entering grub command shell]

Code:
root (hd0,1)

Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83

Code:

[Linux - bzImage, setup=0xa00, size=0x117375]

Code:
boot

(system reboots like before, no error msg)

Still no luck. I think I'm going to try a different kernel source, or try lilo instead. Any other ideas?
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you set the correct CPU type in menuconfig :
Code:
Processor type and features  --->
(Pentium-III/Celeron(Coppermine)) Processor family

The default setting is for pentium3. Press <enter> to change this.
MOC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mboots,

I had exactly the same problem. And, like cyrillic mentioned above, go back to menuconfig and make the appropriate changes. But, also take a look of fstab (nano -w /etc/fstab).

Mario
mboots
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried replacing grub /w lilo, but it does the same thing. It must be my kernel. I'll recompile and double-check fstab tomorrow. For now it's off to bed with me, as my final exams are tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions everybody.
idris33
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mboots,

In your grub.conf, instead of :
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz and

try:
splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz and
kernel (hd0,1)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda4
methodx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is just a thought and being the total linux noob that i am im prolly 100% wrong but its just a thought. If (hd0,0) is windows partition its safe to say that is C:\ im guessing...
when u boot up do u even see the grub menu? it might just be booting from the windows partition, if thats the case i think windows 98 uses autoexec.bat and config.sys and all that good crap, windows 2k and XP use "boot.ini" on the C:\. you might have luck if thats the case editing that in notepad. u wont see it from inside windows but it is there. just go to c:\ within notepad's open dialog box and type boot.ini and open it from there, make a backup of the original incase anything gets bunked up.
idris33
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

methodx wrote:
this is just a thought and being the total linux noob that i am im prolly 100% wrong but its just a thought. If (hd0,0) is windows partition its safe to say that is C:\ im guessing...
when u boot up do u even see the grub menu? it might just be booting from the windows partition, if thats the case i think windows 98 uses autoexec.bat and config.sys and all that good crap, windows 2k and XP use "boot.ini" on the C:\. you might have luck if thats the case editing that in notepad. u wont see it from inside windows but it is there. just go to c:\ within notepad's open dialog box and type boot.ini and open it from there, make a backup of the original incase anything gets bunked up.

I think he said grub loads and boots windows, but it won't boot linux correctly. If he installed it with the directions in the Gentoo install docs, he just incorrectly listed the path for Linux in his grub.conf
adrenalin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idris33 wrote:
methodx wrote:

I think he said grub loads and boots windows, but it won't boot linux correctly. If he installed it with the directions in the Gentoo install docs, he just incorrectly listed the path for Linux in his grub.conf

i dont think so cause he stated that grub finds the files. the /boot path should come into play only when the boot device is mounted there, which is not the case when the kernel is loaded by grub. i bet its the kernel compiled for wrong processor type as cyrillic already stated. this was the case in some recent threads btw.
idris33
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrenalin wrote:
idris33 wrote:
methodx wrote:

i dont think so cause he stated that grub finds the files. the /boot path should come into play only when the boot device is mounted there, which is not the case when the kernel is loaded by grub. i bet its the kernel compiled for wrong processor type as cyrillic already stated. this was the case in some recent threads btw.

That was just my 2 cents. I had the exact same problem the first time I installed Gentoo and the path in the grub.conf was my problem at the time.
mboots
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. I took a look at my kernel config, and sure enough it was compiled for P3-Celeron, instead of my stupid VIA C3. Still waiting for the recompile to finish, but I hope this will fix it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: