Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
KDE4 Overlay (Part 3)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22, 23, 24  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys / ladys,

do I need openbabel for kde to build ?

it always freaks out at :

Quote:
config.status: creating include/openbabel/Makefile
config.status: creating include/openbabel/math/Makefile
config.status: creating test/Makefile
config.status: creating test/cmltest/Makefile
config.status: creating tools/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: creating scripts/Makefile
config.status: creating openbabel-2.0.pc
config.status: creating src/config.h
config.status: executing depfiles commands
config.status: executing include/openbabel/babelconfig.h commands
Makefile:152: *** missing separator. Stop.

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
psomas
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should i remove my existing 3.5.7 kde in order to install kde4.0?...

i tried the wiki guides, and after unmasking some packages(besides those mentioned at the guide) i get:
[blocks B ] <kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.5.7-r1 (is blocking kde-base/kdelibs-9999.4)

what should i do?

the gentoo-wiki guide also tries emerging plasma-extras,which cannot be found in the overlay...

any help would be appreciated...
thx...
ufoman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just upgrade kdebase-startkde to the latest 3.5.7 revision.
And plasma extras are named extragear-plasma.
Registered Linux User #417638
amd64 no-multilib
desktop: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 v2.0, Athlon II X2 250 @3,6GHz, 4GB DDR2 800, Radeon HD 4850, Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 320GB
psomas
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ufoman wrote:
Just upgrade kdebase-startkde to the latest 3.5.7 revision.
And plasma extras are named extragear-plasma.

thx a lot...
retroman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost on the verge of frustration................

I understand this is SVN however, it would seem that ive deleted a few tasks off the bottom bar and cant add these widget things to them. i can right click and remove but i cant add them back, only works on the desktop. any ideas?

Ive been a KDE user since its first releases, Surprises me is that KDE has released this so soon, Its obvious to me that it simply isnt ready. This is alpha quality at BEST. I see all of these people whining on the forums about why the devs cant get KDE 4 into portage. My System is showing me as having 4.0.80. If thats so, id hate to see how 4.0.0 runs.

Putting this into portage would be a big mistake.... people would go from complaining that its not in portage to complaining that it doesnt work. I guess as a dev you cant win. If i made the decision i would rather not support a release that doesnt work right and ignore the complaints. This problem is a KDE issue not a gentoo issue. KDE should have pushed the release date until more testing could have been done.
Berniyh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retroman wrote:
Almost on the verge of frustration................

I understand this is SVN however, it would seem that ive deleted a few tasks off the bottom bar and cant add these widget things to them. i can right click and remove but i cant add them back, only works on the desktop. any ideas?

Ive been a KDE user since its first releases, Surprises me is that KDE has released this so soon, Its obvious to me that it simply isnt ready. This is alpha quality at BEST. I see all of these people whining on the forums about why the devs cant get KDE 4 into portage. My System is showing me as having 4.0.80. If thats so, id hate to see how 4.0.0 runs.

Putting this into portage would be a big mistake.... people would go from complaining that its not in portage to complaining that it doesnt work. I guess as a dev you cant win. If i made the decision i would rather not support a release that doesnt work right and ignore the complaints. This problem is a KDE issue not a gentoo issue. KDE should have pushed the release date until more testing could have been done.

Open the "Add widgets" dialog (Upper right corner), select your widget and then drag it into the panel.
jeanfrancis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several articles about that... The KDE devs say that a release is "never" ready... But I agree, some things just don't work correctly yet. I'm using 4.0.0 here at work (Ubuntu box), and it's usable, but buggier than my SVN build at home.

You are also right about the Gentoo devs that will get complaints about plenty of other problems, when it'll be in Portage. However, I think that adding 4.0.0 in Portage will "simplify" the work when other releases will come out, so the update will be faster and simpler... I guess :)
Berniyh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeanfrancis wrote:
There are several articles about that... The KDE devs say that a release is "never" ready... But I agree, some things just don't work correctly yet. I'm using 4.0.0 here at work (Ubuntu box), and it's usable, but buggier than my SVN build at home.

You are also right about the Gentoo devs that will get complaints about plenty of other problems, when it'll be in Portage. However, I think that adding 4.0.0 in Portage will "simplify" the work when other releases will come out, so the update will be faster and simpler... I guess :)

You can't complain, if it stays hard masked, and I suppose, that it will.

But if you have got an issue and you found a bug report about that, which contains a fix, that has been applied to svn, then you could try to backport it, if it works it might get integrated in the portage builds, so kde 4.0 in gentoo might be a bit more usable after some time.
(Of course not every fix or feature can be backported.)
jeanfrancis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berniyh wrote:
jeanfrancis wrote:

You can't complain, if it stays hard masked, and I suppose, that it will.

But if you have got an issue and you found a bug report about that, which contains a fix, that has been applied to svn, then you could try to backport it, if it works it might get integrated in the portage builds, so kde 4.0 in gentoo might be a bit more usable after some time.
(Of course not every fix or feature can be backported.)

Yes, I know that people aren't supposed to complaint as it is hard masked, but unfortunately they do often. :wink:

You are right about the backporting, I guess I'll do one when they repair the system tray, it still don't "take" my aMSN tray icon :( :lol:
retroman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, i was able to restore the bottom bar.

I attempted to merge the extragear package however it has no keywork, so ill wait. There must be a good reason.

I want to go through out the following questions. Everyone can answer.

1. Can you log onto yahoo with kopete, without kopete crashing
2. Can you change icon sizes
3. Can you use any of the eye candy features like translucent windows in background or window explodes when closing
4. Can you use konsole as a non-root user without it crashing when opening
jeanfrancis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retroman wrote:

I attempted to merge the extragear package however it has no keywork, so ill wait. There must be a good reason.

None of the KDE4 packages actually has, it's why you had to add the packages into /etc/portage/package.keywords. You can add the extragear in the same file, allowing you to emerge it :)
retroman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooops , i got it installing now
madcat87
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I compiled the svn version today and started the new KDE.It looks good despite that alot of options are still unavailable.However I somehow when I am with the new KDE the GTK apps don't obey the .gtkrc-2.0 file and are all with defaul theme.Any reason for that ?
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played with the 3.96 and 3.97 ebuilds here. Also currently have up-to-date openSuse packages installed on openSuse-10.3, and 11.0-alpha0. Also installed Arch Linux on a spare partition, and tried their kdemod kde-4.0 pre-built packages (haven't had time to try their "pkgbuild" versions, which essentially are like svn ebuilds).

While the openSuse binaries are consistently pretty good, as they seem to have been updating from svn once/twice weekly and releasing split-prebuilt packages, building from the svn ebuilds found here have been noticably better for me. In fact, so much better that at least at this time I see no reason to try installing prebuilt 4.0 binaries from any distro, or even 4.0.x versions here.

The kde svn ebuilds in this overlay without a doubt are currently producing the best results, once you get your system set up properly to build them. Haven't had a compile failure in a week or so, and I've been rebuilding everything almost every day, as I'm a hard-core kde fan for years. Happy compiling, everyone! :)
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
I've played with the 3.96 and 3.97 ebuilds here. Also currently have up-to-date openSuse packages installed on openSuse-10.3, and 11.0-alpha0. Also installed Arch Linux on a spare partition, and tried their kdemod kde-4.0 pre-built packages (haven't had time to try their "pkgbuild" versions, which essentially are like svn ebuilds).

While the openSuse binaries are consistently pretty good, as they seem to have been updating from svn once/twice weekly and releasing split-prebuilt packages, building from the svn ebuilds found here have been noticably better for me. In fact, so much better that at least at this time I see no reason to try installing prebuilt 4.0 binaries from any distro, or even 4.0.x versions here.

The kde svn ebuilds in this overlay without a doubt are currently producing the best results, once you get your system set up properly to build them. Haven't had a compile failure in a week or so, and I've been rebuilding everything almost every day, as I'm a hard-core kde fan for years. Happy compiling, everyone! :)

++

wooohooo ! finally working printing with oKular :D

thanks a thousand times
Quote:
Wulf C. Krueger - Philantrop (philantrop at gentoo.org)
Ingmar Vanhassel - Ingmar (ingmar.vanhassel at gmail.com)
Bo Ørsted Andresen - zlin (bo.andresen at zlin.dk)
Timo Gurr - Psy (tgurr at gentoo.org)
Tobias Heinlein - keytoaster ( keytoaster at gentoo.org )
Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto - jmbsvicetto (jmbsvicetto at gentoo.org)

you make gentoo & kde rock :idea:

retroman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its unhappy :(

Code:

[ 86%] Building CXX object dataengines/comic/CMakeFiles/plasma_engine_comic.dir/snoopyprovider.o
[ 86%] Building CXX object dataengines/comic/CMakeFiles/plasma_engine_comic.dir/userfriendlyprovider.o
[ 87%] Building CXX object dataengines/comic/CMakeFiles/plasma_engine_comic.dir/xkcdprovider.o
make[1]: *** [applets/lancelot/app/src/CMakeFiles/lancelot.dir/all] Error 2
Linking CXX shared module ../../lib/plasma_engine_comic.so
[ 87%] Built target plasma_engine_comic
make: *** [all] Error 2
 * ERROR: kde-misc/extragear-plasma-9999.4 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *                        ebuild.sh, line 1701:  Called dyn_compile
 *                        ebuild.sh, line 1039:  Called qa_call 'src_compile'
 *                        ebuild.sh, line   44:  Called src_compile
 *   extragear-plasma-9999.4.ebuild, line   55:  Called kde4-base_src_compile
 *                 kde4-base.eclass, line  319:  Called kde4-base_src_make
 *                 kde4-base.eclass, line  365:  Called cmake-utils_src_make
 *               cmake-utils.eclass, line  146:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *              emake "$@" || die "Make failed!"
 *  The die message:
 *   Make failed!
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/kde-misc/extragear-plasma-9999.4/temp/build.log'.
 * This ebuild used the following eclasses from overlays:
 *   /usr/portage/local/layman/kde/eclass/kde4svn.eclass
 *   /usr/portage/local/layman/kde/eclass/kde4-base.eclass
 *   /usr/portage/local/layman/kde/eclass/kde4-functions.eclass

* Messages for package kde-misc/extragear-plasma-9999.4:

* WARNING! This is an experimental ebuild of the extragear-plasma KDE4 SVN tree.
 * Use at your own risk. Do _NOT_ file bugs at bugs.gentoo.org because
 * of this ebuild!
 * ERROR: kde-misc/extragear-plasma-9999.4 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *                        ebuild.sh, line 1701:  Called dyn_compile
 *                        ebuild.sh, line 1039:  Called qa_call 'src_compile'
 *                        ebuild.sh, line   44:  Called src_compile
 *   extragear-plasma-9999.4.ebuild, line   55:  Called kde4-base_src_compile
 *                 kde4-base.eclass, line  319:  Called kde4-base_src_make
 *                 kde4-base.eclass, line  365:  Called cmake-utils_src_make
 *               cmake-utils.eclass, line  146:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *              emake "$@" || die "Make failed!"
 *  The die message:
 *   Make failed!
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/kde-misc/extragear-plasma-9999.4/temp/build.log'.
 * This ebuild used the following eclasses from overlays:
 *   /usr/portage/local/layman/kde/eclass/kde4svn.eclass
 *   /usr/portage/local/layman/kde/eclass/kde4-base.eclass
 *   /usr/portage/local/layman/kde/eclass/kde4-functions.eclass
siddesu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retroman wrote:
its unhappy :(

YMMW, but I was getting similar link errors because I only updated one package without updating the libraries it depends on (in my case kdebase failed because of changes in kdelibs). since changes happen in the underlying libs (it is a nightly build after all), you may be better off updating all (changed) dependencies instead of only upgrading one package.

see the script someone quoted above -- i am not using it, but it is the same idea.
i-right-i
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get kde-svn installed. Everything appeared to compile fine after setting all of the proper use flags, and finding out there were two different git packages and needing to get the correct one to allow layman to work.

I am now hung up on getting the thing started. I hate session managers, and have always just run X by doing the ole 'startx" and letting it pickup xsession= in rc.conf or .xinitrc for users that want something different. Which btw is set to kde-svn, and yes I am using the layman kde overlay which I believe is the svn build.

I have tryed both methods and im getting a plain jane x window popping up complaing that '.kde is not a symlink, move .... blah blah blah .kde-3.5'

Has anyone seen this?

I just read through the 16 pages of this thread, and im blind now.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone knows to which button "Meta" is bind to ?
how to bind it to the windows-key ?

many thanks in advance :)

siddesu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i-right-i wrote:
I managed to get kde-svn installed. Everything appeared to compile fine after setting all of the proper use flags, and finding out there were two different git packages and needing to get the correct one to allow layman to work.

I am now hung up on getting the thing started. I hate session managers, and have always just run X by doing the ole 'startx" and letting it pickup xsession= in rc.conf or .xinitrc for users that want something different. Which btw is set to kde-svn, and yes I am using the layman kde overlay which I believe is the svn build.

I have tryed both methods and im getting a plain jane x window popping up complaing that '.kde is not a symlink, move .... blah blah blah .kde-3.5'

Has anyone seen this?

I just read through the 16 pages of this thread, and im blind now.

in order for svn to run, you have to do exactly what it says on the plain x window you're seeing -- go to your $HOME, find the .kde config directory, move it to .kde.3.5, make a symlink .kde to it, and restart. maybe you'll get to the next plain window ;)

note: this applies when running kde-svn from startx, i am not sure about graphic login managers, as i don't use one.
Berniyh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:

Meta==Windows Key

But a lot of Shortcuts don't work correctly atm.
micko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kdebase-startkde-3.5.8 seems to be blocking Kdelibs-4.0.0.

Would removing kdebase-startkde-3.5.8 harm my Kde-3.5.8 installation, is it safe to remove it or is there some workaround I haven't found yet?
fatzeus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

micko wrote:
Kdebase-startkde-3.5.8 seems to be blocking Kdelibs-4.0.0.

Would removing kdebase-startkde-3.5.8 harm my Kde-3.5.8 installation, is it safe to remove it or is there some workaround I haven't found yet?

Update to kdebase-startkde-3.5.8-r1 (you have to unmask it).
smorg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berniyh wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:

Meta==Windows Key

Only if you mapped the keys accordingly. The windows key is named super key on Linux, and super /= meta (they produce different key codes when pressed). Most pc keyboards do not have a meta key, common mappings for a meta key include using a super or alt key. With emacs you usually use escape to emulate a pressed meta key. As I have not really tried to map keys yet, I cannot really help on how to do it, though.
micko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I should have thought of that myself.

Now i got another problem though...
Package dev-libs/soprano-2.0.0 fails with the message "x11-libs/qt-4.4.0_rc1 does not actually support the dbus USE flag!"

Any ideas? I noticed that the qt-4.4.0_rc1 is perhaps a little modular and qt-dbus is a different package. Is there some problem with the Soprano ebuild checking dbus-support from a wrong package?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 16 of 24

Jump to: