KDE-3.5.8 - already on the tree
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: KDE-3.5.8 - already on the tree Reply with quote

Hi.

The KDE team just wants to let you know that the work for adding kde-3.5.8 to the tree has been started and it will be ready, when it's ready! :wink:
Access to the tarballs will be restricted to the packagers until 3.5.8 is released.

[edit]The kde-3.5.8 release is now on the Portage tree (20 October 2007)[/edit]

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh

Last edited by jmbsvicetto on Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
mkzelda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool. So when will it be ready? :P
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE-3.5.8 - coming soon to a distro close to you Reply with quote

jmbsvicetto wrote:
it will be ready, when it's ready!

mkzelda, I think that's pretty clear. Don't ask for when it will be ready. The team is busy working on the 100+ kde packages and ebuild and have to update, build and test each one with various use flag combinations and hopefully remove any immediate bugs and problems. This is not as simple as "wow a new KDE" and install. There are patches to consider from the existing 3.5.7 train and whether they are still relevant for 3.5.8 and if they need to be included, there's no guarantee it will compile cleanly, which means patches may need to be redone.

So, in short, "it will be ready, when it's ready" :)
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news. I didn't even know 3.5.8 was being worked on by the kde devs. Are there really that many bugs? :P :lol: I will definitely need to read the list of changes. :) Thanks for keeping us informed.
renrutal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE-3.5.8 - coming soon to a distro close to you Reply with quote

roderick wrote:
jmbsvicetto wrote:
it will be ready, when it's ready!

mkzelda, I think that's pretty clear. Don't ask for when it will be ready.

:roll:
You fail at detecting jokes.
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: KDE-3.5.8 - coming soon to a distro close to you Reply with quote

renrutal wrote:
You fail at detecting jokes.

Actually, I'm quite good with humor, like did you hear the one about the nun, the rabbi, and the prostitute... no wait that was a tv show.... :P

BTW jmbsvicetto, keep up the great work, and we patiently await 3.5.8 for ""when it is ready"".
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
I will definitely need to read the list of changes. :)

Here you go: http://www.kde.org/announcements/changelogs/changelog3_5_7to3_5_8.php
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
StifflerStealth wrote:
I will definitely need to read the list of changes. :)

Here you go: http://www.kde.org/announcements/changelogs/changelog3_5_7to3_5_8.php
Not a lot of important fixes. :P I guess that's good. It means KDE is 3.5.x is really stable. Though, I see the two bugs I posted to their bugs server haven't even been looked at yet. :roll: It's been ages and one's coming up on 2 years old. -_- Ah well.
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
Not a lot of important fixes.

On the one hand I disagree - there's a decent number of bugfixes - on the other hand the number of bug fixes will slow down as it is in low maintenance mode.

StifflerStealth wrote:
It means KDE is 3.5.x is really stable.

Arguable.
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ... true ... but in the past, the changelogs were huge. This one is quite small. Though, development of KDE4 is more of a priority, but so far KDE 3.5.7 has been very stable especially compared with 3.4.x :P
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly have no stability issues with > 3.5.6. Earlier I believe I did.

Pretty solid here. Can't wait for the new update/fixes though.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.5.8 released, but no ebuilds yet.
http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-3.5.8.php
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
katafitos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good things come to those who wait :wink:
BServiss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not a lot of important fixes.

The url redirect bug caused me a few problems :)
mister.woody
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE-3.5.8 - coming soon to a distro close to you Reply with quote

jmbsvicetto wrote:
Hi.

The KDE team just wants to let you know that the work for adding kde-3.5.8 to the tree has been started and it will be ready, when it's ready! :wink:
Access to the tarballs will be restricted to the packagers until 3.5.8 is released.

it seems to be that any other distribution already carries 3.5.8 . Why do we have this delay?
onesandzeros
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
StifflerStealth wrote:
It means KDE is 3.5.x is really stable.
Arguable.

Well, if it's not stable enough for you, maybe it will be in the future. This post mentions 3.5.9! http://dot.kde.org/1192559921/1192574259/1192575042/
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: KDE-3.5.8 - coming soon to a distro close to you Reply with quote

mister.woody wrote:
jmbsvicetto wrote:
Hi.

it seems to be that any other distribution already carries 3.5.8 . Why do we have this delay?

We already replied to you on IRC, but for the benefit of all the others, kde-3.5.8 was released Tuesday (2 days ago). We're working on it and making good progress. Having people complaining about the end of the world for the 2 day delay, doesn't help us and won't make us work any harder.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE-3.5.8 - coming soon to a distro close to you Reply with quote

mister.woody wrote:
jmbsvicetto wrote:
Hi.

You really have no idea about what being a source distro implies. It is easy to just pack binary packages and distribute them, to make split ebuilds for every single package in kde is not that easy at all. The work is huge, and complains don't help.
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE-3.5.8 - coming soon to a distro close to you Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:

You really have no idea about what being a source distro implies. It is easy to just pack binary packages and distribute them, to make split ebuilds for every single package in kde is not that easy at all. The work is huge, and complains don't help.

I second that. Most distros only offer the full packages - so they 'just' compile them...
dracula1985
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between kde 3.5.7 and 3.5.8 there are no big changes, as told on some posts of this thread, so why people complains about 2 or 3 days of delay from other distros?
I could understand if there was a lot of big changes and bugfixes, but there aren't...

Our guys are doing a great work, leave them finish it...

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." --Oscar Wilde.
Ingmarv
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On top off the previous comments I'd like to add:
- On how many arches does gentoo serve KDE ? And for how many arches is your average binary distro available ?
- Also note that the KDE herd has roughly a 100 open bugs, but they do intend to go through most of those, to see what can be easily fixed now. This will probably avoid committing revisions later on, and saves alot of users alot of compile time.
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
to make split ebuilds for every single package in kde is not that easy at all. The work is huge, and complains don't help.

Well, for such a minor version bump it takes an afternoon or so, plus the one or the other issue to sort out while the ebuilds remain hard masked.
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that Gentoo developers are volunteers and that some of them got a life.
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE-3.5.8 - coming soon to a distro close to you Reply with quote

jmbsvicetto wrote:
mister.woody wrote:
jmbsvicetto wrote:
Hi.

We already replied to you on IRC, but for the benefit of all the others, kde-3.5.8 was released Tuesday (2 days ago). We're working on it and making good progress. Having people complaining about the end of the world for the 2 day delay, doesn't help us and won't make us work any harder.
I don't care if I need to wait 5 or 10 days, because I know that once the packages hit the tree, they will be great with very little hassles in compiling them. Other distros just release the packages immediately and go we were first, but then they may need to release an update days later to add a few patches. When Gentoo releases something, a lot of the times the needed patches are included for any bugs they may have found during testing, so I only need to compile once. I'd rather compile once than every other day. :P Keep up the great work and thank you. :)
Philantrop
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE-3.5.8 - coming soon to a distro close to you Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
because I know that once the packages hit the tree, they will be great with very little hassles in compiling them. Other distros just release the packages immediately and go we were first, but then they may need to release an update days later to add a few patches.

Thank you. It's good to read such things once in a while. :)

We could have dumped the ebuilds into the tree (package.masked) a few days ago and just have waited for people to complain and fix things then. This time, we try to deliver quality and that takes a little longer than "one afternoon". We do the testing while we're working on the little problems that remain (post 3.5.8 and open bugs in Bugzilla) and skip the package.mask step this time. Instead, 3.5.8 will be in ~arch directly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: