installing hardened: can't download patches [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huuan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: installing hardened: can't download patches [solved] Reply with quote

Code:
 # time emerge hardened-sources
...snip lots of succesful stuff then:

>>> Downloading 'ftp://cudlug.cudenver.edu/pub/mirrors/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/hardened-patches-2.6.18-1.extras.tar.bz2'
--20:09:36--  ftp://cudlug.cudenver.edu/pub/mirrors/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/hardened-patches-2.6.18-1.extras.tar.bz2
           => `/usr/portage/distfiles/hardened-patches-2.6.18-1.extras.tar.bz2'
Resolving cudlug.cudenver.edu... 132.194.22.137
Connecting to cudlug.cudenver.edu|132.194.22.137|:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done.    ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD /pub/mirrors/distributions/gentoo/distfiles ...
No such directory `pub/mirrors/distributions/gentoo/distfiles'.

!!! Couldn't download 'hardened-patches-2.6.18-1.extras.tar.bz2'. Aborting.

So I guess I should get that from elsewhere. Having downloaded it where should I put it before resuming, and how do i skip trying to download from the same broken place?

Thanks.

Last edited by huuan on Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge mirror-select and use that to get the fastest mirrors in your area.
huuan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears you are trying to emerge a version of sys-kernel/hardened-sources which is no longer in the tree. As such, some of its component files have been removed from the mirrors. If you do not need this particular version, I recommend that you sync and install one which is still in the tree.
huuan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe :D just following the quick install guide. I downloaded a minimal install cd, installed stage 3 and portage following the install guide. If I'm doing anything wrong it is in following the insructions, they must have something missing like, e.g., emerge --sync, after installing portage.
I'm at Kernel Configuration between code-listing 2.18 and 2.19 here

Anyway thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you "downloaded portage." Could you clarify what you meant? If your command history is still available, please post all commands listed in the output from the history command, starting at commands you issued for code listing 2.10, where you mounted the filesystems.

Portage is the Gentoo package management system, but the instructions also direct you to download a "Portage snapshot" which is the set of files that go in /usr/portage. You need both, but the package manager itself should have been part of the stage3 that you downloaded. Code listing 2.14 and 2.15 describe fetching the Portage snapshot.

If you had grabbed a sufficiently recent version of those files, you should not need to emerge --sync. It is also possible that you grabbed the snapshot from a mirror which is out of date. In that case, the mirror needs to be fixed so that no one else gets tripped up by a stale snapshot. If you know which mirror you downloaded from, please post that as well.
huuan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out on this to make a simple clone of my server htdocs running so I could test what would break moving all the php code to PHP5 to cope with the imminent masking of PHP4... anyway enough of that aside:

can't get history as I have already chrooted after emerging gentoo sources as I didn't need hardened _that_ badly, was just reporting this here as a gotcha.

My apologies for the inexact way of describing. What I meant was I downloaded the portage snapshot by going to a close mirror using links. The only differences from the comands described in the quick insatll and what I did was hat I used links for he down load and I did an md5 checksum test using the digest which is not mentioned in the
here's the mirror where I downloaded the portage snapshot from but, as you will see, it has been upgraded quite recently, around 7pm today, after my initial post, ... so there's no upgrading needed anymore, what ever was there isn't anymore:
http://gentoo.mirrors.easynews.com/linux/gentoo/snapshots/

At the time I downloaded the file entitled portage-latest.* which of course should have been "sufficiently recent"

AHA! I see what happened now, here is the offender dated 02-may
http://gentoo.mirrors.easynews.com/linux/gentoo/releases/snapshots/2007.0/

it would appear that I downloaded what was in the linux/gentoo/releases/2007.0 directory instead of the linux/gentoo/snapshots where he latest stuff is.
It would appear that I went one too few directories back up the chain. As you can se there is a portage dir under releases as well as under gentoo. My bad.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huuan wrote:
It would appear that I went one too few directories back up the chain. As you can se there is a portage dir under releases as well as under gentoo. My bad.

Do not worry about it. I am glad to hear that this was a simple case of user error, rather than a problem with one of the mirrors. Please edit your first post to add "[SOLVED]" somewhere in the title, so that others know the issue has been addressed.
huuan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK will do.
Not sure what that exra directory is for though. Oh well. Thanks for your help. Case closed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: