new to gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pelanor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: new to gentoo Reply with quote

ok guys

Im at my wits end here. I am new to linux but I found this old computer and I thought it would be neat to install gentoo on it and see if I couldnt ween myself off of windows.

I think the only piece of the machine that is propietary is the bios. It says "IBM Aptiva" when it boots up but thats it.
So I think my hardware should run linux. The rest of it is normal gear: amd k-6 233 with 64M sdram and an 8gig hdd.

When I try to boot from either the 2006 and the 2007 livecd, the computer reboots its self ( a common problem I have read here on the forums) but it seems to do well when I install from the "minimal" 2006 cd. But the problem is that when I get it installed far enough into the shell (livecd root #) is that the tarball is not on the cd. I was following the installation instructions from the 2007 guide (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=5) but I get stopped cold when the instructions tell you to download the stage tarball. This computer isnt hooked up to the internet yet :/

But if I try to eject the minimal 2006 cd and put either of the live cds in there ( to try to copy the tarball to the hdd or just unpack it) my cd rom light flashes red meaning ( i think) that the computer is running the OS from the cd and it wont let me swap out any cds.

Im not sure if I am running a version that is too new for this system.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
WakkaDojo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you could do is modify the minimal cd iso to include a directory with the downloadable tars you need, which I believe is just stage 3 and portage. Since the livecd isn't as stable as the minimal install cd, you're better off just using the minimal install.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: new to gentoo Reply with quote

pelanor wrote:
When I try to boot from either the 2006 and the 2007 livecd, the computer reboots its self ...

This happens because the LiveCD kernels are compiled for i686 processors, but your AMD K6 is only i586 compatible.

The minimal CD is compiled for i486 to support a wider range of hardware, but you do need a working internet connection to install using the minimal CD.
Pithlit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Gentoo can be installed from within an existing linux installation...

-please keep in mind I'm making this up since I have _no_ idea if it would work...-

Get appropriate guide from the Gentoo site and read on it. Might shed some light on the subject before you venture on. Now... your ram is really low but... Get DSL (damn small linux) live CD and make it load itself into RAM so now you should have a working Linux environment _as well as_ a free CD-ROM you can put your Gentoo cd in (or cd's...). Again - I have no idea if this can even work...
pelanor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WakkaDojo: makes alot of sense, thanks for posting that info

Im thinking the best way to go about installing, is to load the minimal cd, till I can get to the shell and then copy the tarball from a seperate cd to the hdd and install from there. Which leads me to another odd problem I am encountering.

When i boot from the cd and gentoo fires up, it has a problem with IRQ 14. the exact quote of the install is:

Disabling IRQ #14
irq #14: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
handlers:
(c02c7b78)
Disabling IRQ #14

now, ive tried rebooting and load with the "gentoo -irqpoll" option but that doesnt seem to work.
the installer attempts to disable it about once a minute for 10 minutes. it then loads from there.
My question is: am I doing the load option correctly? and, is it a hardware or a software problem? I looked at the board in an attempt to find a jumper or something for irq 14, but My search yielded nothing
thanks again
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pelanor,

Theres no - on kernel options, which is what irqpoll is.
Code:
gentoo irqpoll
is what you need. IRQ 14 is your primary HDD so its essential this works.

If your network is not working, you can use remote internet access to install Gentoo using Sneakernet

Gentoo will be OK on that hardware as long as you don't want GNOME or KDE. A lightweight window manager will run in 64Mb

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pelanor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the help guys!

I am well on my way to becoming a linux user, but I have one last question
i installed using the 2006 minimum boot cd and untar'ed stage3-x86-2006.1.tar.bz2 on my hdd.

the last step seems to be unpacking portage. but can I use the latest portage with this system? even though i installed the 2006 version..
I am in the process of downloading portage and putting it on my new system but im kinda stuck on which one to download :?

thanks again
OneOfMany
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You always want the current portage. That is the list of current versions of programs that can be installed. You don't want to be stuck using old, buggy software do you? Generally to update all the installed stuff on your computer you'll periodically run "emerge --sync && emerge -uD world" or some variation of that. I often use "emerge -puD world" before I issue the second command to make sure I don't have to uninstall a package to allow an upgrade of something else.

BTW a couple useful commands in linux are "man" and "info" that you can find out about programs with. For instance to learn more about emerge you could run "man emerge".
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pelanor,

Get the latest portage snapshot but with a stage tarball as old as yours there is a trick you may need.

When you run emerge system or emerge world for the first time you will get a message saying that there is a new version of portage available and its strongly reccomened you emerge it now. *DONT do it*

The latest portage version has dependancies on things you don't have installed yet. Update portage only after you have updated your install with
Code:
emerge -uD system

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: