trouble with AMD K6-2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zion1459
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: trouble with AMD K6-2 Reply with quote

I'm trying to install gentoo on a AMD K6-2.

450MHz
128MB SD-RAM.

the problem accurs when the box is bootstrapping..
first I chose what cflags I wanted.. then it failed during compilation of gcc.. then I tried the standard cflags.. and then it failed when compiling glib...

also tried with and with out cpu-march etc.

any1 have a "this will work" set of cflags I can try?

thx, regards zion1459 :)
ctford0
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few k62's running gentoo just using the march=k62 -O2 -pipe. Could you have some type of heat problem? The reason I ask because it fails at different points during the compile.

Be sure to set your
CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"

Chris
sindre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had to underclock my k6-3 450MHz to 400MHz to get it to compile things properly. Maybe it would have helped with better cooling, and/or voltage adjustment.
zion1459
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might be the
I forgot... or maybe it just overheats... I'll try again and see what happens..

thx sindre and ctford0 :)
DrkPlague
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my personal favorite, the cflag script: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=43648

There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
Those who understand binary and those who don't...
dirk_salewski
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: CFLAGS for AMD K6-2 and K6-3 Reply with quote

Hey zion1459,

I have a similar machine now (AMD K6-2+ 500Mhz) and had the same (K6-2 450Mhz) before. I installed Gentoo several times now (still getting familiar with it) and I found out some things about CFLAGS on K6:

1) While it is possible for many programs to compile with "-fomit-frame-pointer", some builds inevitably will fail on K6-2/3 when it is enabled. You won't get anywhere near a usable system with it (at least I didn't manage to). After doing some searches, I found out that the impact of "-fomit-frame-pointer" may be negligible positive or even slightly negative. Throw it out of Your CFLAGS.

2) The -O[3|2|s] - debate: In order to test the impact of the -O-things I compiled OpenOffice.org on my machine two times. With -O2 (optimized for speed) it takes around 25 seconds to start (yawn) whereas with -Os everything was ready after 7 seconds. This is quite an improvement, and I wanted to know why. I found a newsposting from Linus Thorvalds where he goes something like:

Quote:
(This is not a verbatim, but a logical quote)
If You have a program that has to do something over and over again (e.g. a library or the kernel) then You should optimize for speed (-O2). If You, on the other hand, want to improve the speed of a GUI-Program, which sits mostly there waiting for user actions which are never the same, then it's better to optimize for size (-Os).

There is another posting somewhere on the net suggesting that this is largely dependent on the size of the processor cache: It is said there that with a on-processor-cache of more than 512kb the benefit of using "-Os" shrinks to zero, however, the K6-2 has only 32kb which makes it relevant.

Now, while recompiling gentoo with -Os I noticed that many programs (most notably the kernel itself) automatically switch to "-O2". I didn't count them, but counting on my basic understanding of programming I think that these are often programs Linus mentioned in his posting. GUI-programs normally compile with "-Os", like specified.
There is an additional benefit of using "-Os" on small machines: Compiling with "-O[3|2]" takes slightly longer than forever, with "-Os" You are a bit faster. Don't expect wonders, though.

3) Enable "-march=k6-2", "-mmmx" and "-m3dnow". Issuing "cat /proc/cpuinfo" should give the information that Your processor supports mmx and 3dnow instructions. This should cause gcc to optimize everything for Your specific hardware. "-march=k6-2" implies "-mcpu=k6-2", therefor the latter is not needed (in fact, there is a posting somewhere on the net which says that specifying both is redundant and makes gcc slower, but I don't know enough about that to decide whether it is true). With "-march=k6-2" You tell gcc that Your processor supports mmx and 3dnow instructions, with "-mmmx" and "-m3dnow" You tell gcc to actually make use of those availiable special commands.

The relevant part of my make.conf now looks like this:
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=k6-3 -mmmx -m3dnow -Os -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

and everything compiles and runs fine and as fast as You can expect on this old hardware.

Greetings,

Dirk
zion1459
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx yall :D
it works now... using what dirk_salewski posted the problem was solved :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: