Prelinking problems..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Prelinking problems.. Reply with quote

I can't get prelinking to work on any files AFAIK. It always gives this error on each file:
Quote:
Could not find variable copy reloc is against

, and other various errors that I think are from the nvidia problem, but the reloc one is different and happens to nearly everything. I don't know much about programming, and have searched through these forums and google extensively finding nothing helpful. Is it even worth prelinking if I need the nvidia drivers anyway? Startup times of programs are pretty bad right now especially on things like MozillaFirebird and kdeapps. Not many people seem to have this problem so it leaves me hopeful that it is fixable, and that maybe a stupid mistake of mine caused it. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Nicom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess nobody else has ever had this problem then. Maybe switching to ~x86 and doing an emerge -u world will fix the problems, I've already tried updating everything on stable.
Tamnir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: prelink and grsecurity Reply with quote

I have just found a possible answer to that one.

I had prelinking working just fine, but after I upgraded my kernel, I started getting the same error message on most (all?) binaries:

Code:
prelink: /bin/ping: Could not find variable copy reloc is against

until eventually prelink aborted.

One of the main changes when I upgraded my kernel was to enable Grsecurity (using a medium security level).

I think one hint was hidden in the Grsecurity Guide:

Quote:
Activating Disallow ELF text relocations will force your system to use PIC (Position Independent Code) ELF libraries only. If you are confident that your system only uses PIC ELF libraries (which is most of the time not the case) you can activate this feature. Note that you cannot use prelink on those systems. (emphasis mine)

And indeed, I recompiled my kernel without Grsecurity, and the problem went away.

Maybe a mention of this problem should be made in the Prelink Guide too.
lucif3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem is mentioned many times but very few solutions. I have Grsecurity enabled and I have the same problem.
lucif3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok sorry it is a bit better now. Still alot of errors, but I figure that I still need to recompile some stuff. The Grsecurity was still compiling into the kernel and I had to run make mrproper on the kernel to clean everything up to the original state.

Sigh.

Can anyone confirm if these "Could not find variable copy reloc is against" are somewhat normal given the number of errors some people are getting?

Also is there any way to test if the prelinking worked? I want to see if konqueror is properly prelinked. I am still getting some kdeinits.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: