What winex version?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obsid1an
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: What winex version? Reply with quote

Sorta new to linux so bear with me. I did an emerge -s winex and it came back with 3 different distributions. I am wondering which one would be the best to get. I am guessing winex-cvs since it seems to be the newest.

Also, if I want to run both games and non-directx apps from windows should I install both wine and winex or is winex fine at running the same apps as wine? Is there any signifigant performance differences? The main apps I want to run are mirc and outlook 2002.

Well back to browsing in lynx while emerging kde :)
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd install wine and winex. if you want to emerge winex3 you've got about two things to consider. the binary version from transgaming is for subscribed people only, which means you have to pay for it (you need to download it and put it into yor /usr/portage/distfiles dir by hand before emerging). but it's quite inexpensive.

the other thing would be winex-cvs (check out the GewWineX script for this purpose). some games have copy protections and as long as you want to stay legal, you'd need the binary version from winex3, because it got copy protection stuff implemented.

of course, it always depends on what games you are going to play.

-- John Sheridan - Babylon 5, Season 4
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: