View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ganjamavn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Gnome issues Reply with quote

Hi all!

I use KDE 3.1.2 on my freshly installed Gentoo (stage1). Today I installed Gnome. The problem I'm having is, that whenever I choose KDE session, KDE starts up, when it's finished loading, Gnome starts it's stuff (desktop, icons, fonts etc.) upon KDE. For example if I right click on the desktop, it's Gnome's context menu which appears, not KDE which it should be...This behaviour doesn't occur when logged in as root, only on normal user account.

I have all day tried to figure out why this behaviour happens, and I can't find out. Anyone have a clue how to fix this, so I can finally stop pulling my hair off!!

TIA,
GM
nokiaxv2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be experiencing that same problem. I'm tryin to figure out a few things that would work...maybe moving KDE's desktop paths to somewhere else and then changing it in the control center ---> System Administration ---->Paths section...

This is very frustrating and mind boggling as to why it happened...makes me wonder if it has something to do with me emerging gnome while I was in KDE. Is that what you did as well?

I know as soon as gnome finished, my desktop changed to gnomes...

Thanks in advanced,

Apparently it has something to do with Nautilus running while we were in our KDE session. KDE of course, at default, saves the last session we were running and boots it anytime we log into KDE. So...if your KDE has Gnome's desktop, open up a terminal and type

Code:
nautilus -q

I'm guessing this quits the nautilus thats running...if for some reason you dont have a desktop now, you can type

Code:
kdesktop

and your kde desktop should be restored.I suggest that you now type in

Code:
kcontrol

and then go to
1. KDE Components
2. Session Manager
In the section where it says, "On login" i would set that to "Start an empty session"

This fixed my issues fine...Good luck to you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: