Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitface wrote:
Hello,

For everyone having trouble getting window decorations working...

There is a "Window Decoration" module that must be enabled in ccsm. It seems the default is to have this option turned off. :wink:

Read that elsewhere in other threads and turning it on doesn't help here :?
riquito
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slack---line wrote:
bitface wrote:
Hello,

For everyone having trouble getting window decorations working...

There is a "Window Decoration" module that must be enabled in ccsm. It seems the default is to have this option turned off. :wink:

Read that elsewhere in other threads and turning it on doesn't help here :?

is there a window decorator running for sure?
e.g. launch
Code:
metacity --replace

in a terminal

now that this is for sure, go in compizconfig setting manager, and choose
Preferences->Plugin List
now disable "automatic plugin sorting" and use the arrows to insert the modules that you'd use for your system, in particular add
-> decoration <-

can you see anything now?
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

is there a window decorator running for sure?
e.g. launch
Code:
metacity --replace

in a terminal

Yep, tried it with the emerald and kde decorators. They do nothing and give no error output at all. I wonder if I need to switch to the xeffects version of compiz. I'm currently running the one in portage, but it seems more up to date.
reksav
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im having the same decoration problems in gnome, compiz is fine but no decorations... i used beryl for the past ummm i dunno long time and loved it, anyway to get it back since this c-f thing doesnt seem to work for me?
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is bizarre, but I kept tinkering with the compiz-start script and made a change that should not have made any difference whatsoever and then cranked it up, and I now have the full enchilada...beautiful and I'm really mystified. I think it may be that I started the decorator (emerald) before starting compiz, but I'm sure I tried that earlier and it didn't work then. I've been playing with it trying to get it configured just like my beryl set up and have it about 90% where I had beryl. I've noticed it's much faster than beryl and (on my system at least) uses a lot less CPU with almost the identical setup (I've got a lot of stuff maxed). So, I'm happy. In the hopes that this may help somebody, I'll post my compiz-start, though as I said, I have no idea why it worked any different that what I was doing earlier. This is strictly for a KDE setup, so if you use gnome, who knows...

Code:

#
# Hanno Boeck, http://www.hboeck.de/
#
# Licensed under the same conditions as compiz itself (MIT or GPL)

if [ ! -x /usr/bin/glxinfo ]; then
        echo "glxinfo not found, please install mesa-progs."
        exit -1
fi

GLX_WITH_DIRECT=`glxinfo|grep -c GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap`
GLX_WITH_INDIRECT=`LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 glxinfo|grep -c GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap`
GLX_RENDER=`glxinfo|grep -c "OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect"`

COMPIZ_OPTIONS="--replace"

if [ $GLX_WITH_DIRECT -eq 3 ]; then
        if [ $GLX_RENDER -eq 0 ]; then
                echo NVIDA detected
                export __GL_YIELD="NOTHING"
        else
                echo XGL detected
        fi
elif [ $GLX_WITH_INDIRECT -eq 3 ]; then
        echo AIGLX detected
        export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
fi

if [ ! -z $KDE_FULL_SESSION ] && [ -x /usr/bin/kde-window-decorator ]; then
#       echo Using KDE decorator
#       kde-window-decorator --replace &
        emerald --replace &
else
        echo Using GTK decorator
        gtk-window-decorator --replace &
fi

#compiz $COMPIZ_OPTIONS gconf move resize minimize place decoration wobbly fade cube rotate scale switcher zoom dbus
compiz --replace ccp --sm-disable
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I solved my compiz segfault issue. I discovered a ~/.compiz directory (didn't even know it was there) containing a bunch of old compiz-extra plugins. I think compiz was trying to load these, because as soon as I deleted the directory compiz worked fine.

I did a homebrew install of compiz-extras-0.5.0.2 which might be why these were left on my system. But if you have this dir, it might be worth deleting or moving it to see if you fare better.
frank1980
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to say: compiz-fusion drivers me crazzy, I love beryl
Why portage lets compiz-fusion upgrade from beryl? It's unbelievable :?: :?:
zigver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank1980 wrote:

I have to agree. I'm not happy about this at all. Beryl was rock solid for me and this forced change to compiz has left me with a non-working compiz installation and from what I gather a lot of time still needed in coming up with a solution to fix it. I spent some time last night perusing the forums for a solution to my problem but didn't come up with anything yet.

Running:

Code:

results in the following with no window decorations:

Code:
compiz (core) - Fatal: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
pierce
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust fusion-icon. It is magical. It will automatically detect everything it needs, and will run everything it needs to run. Emerald still is leaky as hell, but I am fine with using the GTK decorator until the new emerald is released. In theory, all you should need to do is add fusion-icon to the list of startup apps in your regular wm, and everything else is magically done for you.

Unfortunately, fusion-icon is still not in portage.
Overlays for critical systems is a sin.

The "git" command I talked about in page three might help grab fusion-icon code if you don't know where to get it.
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I was fond of beryl as well, but not upgrading wasn't an option. Beryl died about 6 months ago and it was just a short matter of time before it would become unworkable with X and/or video driver upgrades. Nothing to be done about it. The good news is that compiz-fusion is being actively developed and maintained and will improve (quickly I hope). Once my installation 'magically' started working, I've been fairly happy with it, though a few addons aren't as mature or full featured as they were in beryl. The main thing, at this point, is that the installation is fairly dodgy compared to the simplicity of the beryl installation.
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a great beryl system running until portage didn't like it anymore. I struggled trying to get portage's compiz-fusion going over a period of maybe a week or so. Last night I finally gave up and did what Pierce said to do - download fusion-icon. Back to things working again - except I can't yet figure out why I can't switch cube faces (desktops) with my mouse scroll button - but more research is needed there by me.
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh... okay, well this is rather embarrassing. I swear this is not a joke, but...

I've lost the use of the letter "d". I was mucking around with keybindings in ccsm, and at some point I did something and it disappeared. Now I can't type it anywhere.

(In case you're wondering, I copied the letter from the text on this webpage and am pasting it into my message here as I write.)

Uppercase "D" works okay, so I assume I somehow set "d" as a keybinding for something or other which is disabled, as it doesn't seem to do anything when I press it.

Reluctantly I went to Preferences and Restore Global Defaults, but this hasn't fixed it.

What I was actually doing before was trying to set Alt+Tab and Alt+Shift+Tab as shortcuts for the Shift Switcher. To achieve this I had to turn off the Desktop Integration for KDE, because otherwise these shortcuts were locked to the normal switcher plugin. So I was mucking around with these fields both before and after I turned it off. But I've looked back over these and the other shortcuts I was tweaking, and none of them show "d".

HAYLP! Writing this post was murder, I can't remain sane much longer doing this pasting nonsense! (Thank heaven it wasn't "t", that's all I can say...)

EDIT: never mind, I somehow got it back as compiz seemed to restart when I reopened ccsm. Let this be a lesson though: be careful when setting keybindings!

Oh, and one last thing:

ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

:D

Last edited by Havin_it on Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

had a great beryl system running until portage didn't like it anymore. I struggled trying to get portage's compiz-fusion going over a period of maybe a week or so. Last night I finally gave up and did what Pierce said to do - download fusion-icon. Back to things working again - except I can't yet figure out why I can't switch cube faces (desktops) with my mouse scroll button - but more research is needed there by me.

Here are a couple of very good sources for you. The first one is good because it is short and to the point. The second is more detailed, but you will want to put aside some time to go thru the entire thing:

http://forlong.blogage.de/article/2007/8/29/How-to-set-up-Compiz-Fusion#

And from the horse's mouth:

http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/CompizPlugins

And for questions, assuming you have a working install of compiz-fusion (or even if not), bookmark this:

http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/

You might want to sign up on that last one as well, if you intend to keep running compiz-fusion.

Best of Luck.
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks, platojones!
Theimon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zigver wrote:

Running:

Code:

results in the following with no window decorations:

Code:
compiz (core) - Fatal: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

I'd say this is a video driver issue. I had this error ages ago when trying to get some games going, turned out to be a crappy nVidia driver install, maybe you can check that first. After that, get Fusion-Icon from the overlay.
frank1980
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I del the fusion and downgrade the portage to Nov 2, install beryl back

:twisted: :twisted:

BTW: today's portage sounds fix the problem that install compiz-fusion by upgrading from beryl. and I move the necessary ebuilds to my overlay. all done!
Simius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to link the desktop cube up to the Gnome workspace switcher applet? It'd be real nice, as it was automatic in Beryl... and I don't need 16 workspaces, only 4, but I'd like to have a quick-n-easy way of navigating them.
zigver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theimon wrote:
I'd say this is a video driver issue. I had this error ages ago when trying to get some games going, turned out to be a crappy nVidia driver install, maybe you can check that first. After that, get Fusion-Icon from the overlay.

I used git and installed fusion-icon. It tried starting compiz using the same command I did, got the same output, then set LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/libGL.so.1.2 and restarted compiz successfully. But then I couldn't get the settings manager to run.

In the end I decided not to mess with compiz anymore and went back to beryl (because it works flawlessly for me) in a local overlay. Maybe I'll revisit compiz/compiz-fusion in a few months.
Simius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Compiz looks pretty unfinished Reply with quote

Well, well... I've been using Compiz-fusion for some days now, and I'd say I didn't find it lacking in stability compared to Beryl, but it still has the feel of an alpha software. While Beryl came with usable default settings, as a wm should, Compiz-fusion's defaults were either non-existent or just plain unusable.
Also, there are some things I can't seem to get Compiz to do, no matter how I try. In Beryl, I could rotate the Desktop cube by just scrolling the mouse's scrollwheel over the desktop. Compiz refuses to do this - in fact Compiz refuses to use lots of mouse events, and I have to experiment whether Button2, <Alt>Button2, or only <Control><Alt>Button2 will work. As a rule of thumb, simple and user-friendly mouse events don't work, while complicated events - where I'm having all hands full with 5 modifier keys and the mouse - do work.
Beryl linked the Desktop cube to the Gnome desktop switcher applet. Compiz doesn't.
And there are conflicting plug-ins... For example if Fade to Desktop is enabled, Rotate Desktop Cube doesn't work.

To top all this off, documentation is virtually non-existent...
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well, well... I've been using Compiz-fusion for some days now, and I'd say I didn't find it lacking in stability compared to Beryl, but it still has the feel of an alpha software.

Well, it's a huge backporting effort by the beryl team. Since beryl was a fork based on a rapidly aging snapshot of the compiz core engine, with a lot of hacks into that engine to get some of the cool effects, several features haven't yet made it back into compiz-fusion yet. I have only found 2 features that I liked thus far that are missing or only partially implemented, but that really depends on what features you used and liked in beryl. For me, it was the water effects and the 3D windows on the cube. I know the 3D window module is in the works and scheduled for the next release. I will say that, because of the limitations of the compiz engine snapshot that the beryl fork was based on, compiz fusion, with the updated compiz core, for me a least, is MUCH faster and more efficient. That was one of the main motivations for the beryl team to re-merge with compiz in the 1st place and it was clearly a wise decision. Give it a little time and I think it will grow on you, especially when some of the missing features and functionality return in future releases.

As for documentation, it's out there and I've found their wiki to be very useful. As with the software itself, it's clearly a work in progress.

http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/
webhawg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pierce wrote:
I was going to wait until everything was in portage, but I got impatient. The only thing I needed to pull down was was fusion-icon (no overlays or anything).

git clone git://anongit.compiz-fusion.org/users/crdlb/fusion-icon
cd fusion-icon
make
su
make install

Then I had to put ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" directly in my make.conf (not recommended, but dependencies were broken to hell without it). I then emerged all the compiz and compiz fusion packages from portage, added fusion-icon to my gnome startup apps, and everything worked as expected.

Emerald is still a pain in the ass. 0.5.2, even with ~x86. Bastards. I am using the gtk window decorator until the issue gets fixed. It seems to work for a while, but over time there were massive memory leaks that ended up spiking the CPU.

What is the deal with lack of fusion-icon? Any devs reading this? Even gutsy shipped with no fusion-icon and people were pissed. Kina important.

How do you uninstall fusion-icon once you've installed it this way?
wah_wah_69
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webhawg wrote:
pierce wrote:
I was going to wait until everything was in portage, but I got impatient. The only thing I needed to pull down was was fusion-icon (no overlays or anything).

git clone git://anongit.compiz-fusion.org/users/crdlb/fusion-icon
cd fusion-icon
make
su
make install

Then I had to put ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" directly in my make.conf (not recommended, but dependencies were broken to hell without it). I then emerged all the compiz and compiz fusion packages from portage, added fusion-icon to my gnome startup apps, and everything worked as expected.

Emerald is still a pain in the ass. 0.5.2, even with ~x86. Bastards. I am using the gtk window decorator until the issue gets fixed. It seems to work for a while, but over time there were massive memory leaks that ended up spiking the CPU.

What is the deal with lack of fusion-icon? Any devs reading this? Even gutsy shipped with no fusion-icon and people were pissed. Kina important.

How do you uninstall fusion-icon once you've installed it this way?

I suppose with "make uninstall", if its makefile handles it.
Azzie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those who do not get decorations around their windows in KDE:

Try to edit /usr/bin/compiz-start and replace "gconf" with "ccp" in the last line. This means changing the configuration backend, worked for me.

You may also need to add "kde-window-decorator --replace" in ccsm in "Windows decorations" settings, but this will be only necessary if your kde-window-decorator is not started by the /usr/bin/compiz-start script for some reason.
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a problem I've been having intermittently since earlier versions of compiz, and seems to happen constantly with the new version. I think someone already mentioned it in this or another thread...

On KDE startup most/all of the icons in the Kicker appear in tiny windows littered about the screen, rather than in the system tray. By closing and restarting them they usually go into the tray, or if I logout and back into KDE they usually dock normally, but iit's a nuisance having to do this every time I boot.

I use a modified version of compiz-start just like most folks (just changing the commands for compiz and still using kde-window-decorator instead of emerald), and have it set as my KDEWM. The only difference is the script has a loop at the end that restarts compiz and/or kwd when they crash (compiz certainly always crashes a few seconds after startup).

Any ideas about this?
Mondo1287
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havin_it wrote:
FWIW, I solved my compiz segfault issue. I discovered a ~/.compiz directory (didn't even know it was there) containing a bunch of old compiz-extra plugins. I think compiz was trying to load these, because as soon as I deleted the directory compiz worked fine.

I found ~/.compiz-settings directory, and some other compiz related stuff under ~/.config deleting those solved my window decoration problems. I also had a problem where starting fusion-icon would give me a mostly blank screen with a tiny window, turning on Detect Outputs in ccsm under General Options->Display Settings fixed that.

Using the KDE compiz-start script above solved some other issues.

Now I have an issue with opengl apps running really slow. If I run glxgears the frame rate is fine, but if I try to move the window around things get really laggy. If glxgears is running and I try to rotate the desktop cube the system practically grinds to a halt. If I rotate the cube with no opengl apps running it works fine, though. I never had this problem with previous versions. Anyone have any ideas? I have an NVidia 7900gt and the latest drivers. OpenGL apps run fine when compiz-fusion isn't running.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: