View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgrant
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Mozilla Firebird Reply with quote

I don't get what the big deal is with Mozilla Firebird. It's no faster than Mozilla, it looks the same as mozilla except for the icons, which is just a theme called Qute, and I haven't checked, but I'm sure it's available for Mozilla. The preferences menu looks great, and it has auto-completion of forms, but other than that, I don't really see any big difference.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is overrated and overhyped. I mean does it really deserve to have every release announced on Slashdot? Everyone seems to rave about it's speed, but it's still Gecko, and the speed is the same. I guess the footprint will be smaller (eventually, although I've yet to see this, at least when I tried it in Windows, 0.5 mind you..)
mile_slo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Mozilla Firebird Reply with quote

dgrant wrote:
It's no faster than Mozilla)

:roll:

For me , mozilla can not compare with firebird
progster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me firebird (or mozilla browser like it's supposed to be called now), starts up way faster then mozilla and it doesn't have all the bloatware I don't use... that's a personal opinion of course.

~Progster
nrl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

progster wrote:
for me firebird (or mozilla browser like it's supposed to be called now), starts up way faster then mozilla and it doesn't have all the bloatware I don't use... that's a personal opinion of course.

~Progster

I prefer firebird too but it is worth noting that mozilla can be compiled without most of the "bloatware", for example
Code:

# USE="moznocompose moznomail moznoirc" emerge mozilla

will compile Mozilla without Mail and News, IRC and the HTML editor. For the rest of the USE flags:
Code:

# emerge -pv mozilla
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with above posters. firebird is alot quicker on the load for me, and seems to be a hair faster in navigating pages as well. that combined with the lack of bloat (although removeable as suggested above) makes it ideal for alot of users...
bashir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think Phoenix/Firebird/MozillaBrowser is not faster than Mozilla :?:

IMHO it is a lot faster - especially at startup :!:

bashir
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both mozilla (with no bloat) and firebird installed..........firebird is slightly quicker becuase it uses the native gtk toolkit and not the excellent but slower XUL

Firebird is very good but iMHO it still needs to mature before i switch from mozilla full-time. looking forward to it though :wink:
dgrant
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Startup is a bit faster. Perhaps some things are faster like clicking on things in the UI seem to respond faster. But overall, the rendering of pages is still as slow as Mozilla. I've always found Gecko sluggish. Once you use Opera you realize how slow Mozilla is. Actually IE6 also is faster, similar to Opera. Personally Mozilla is still way better than Opera though for othe reasons.

I just measured the startup speed. Firebird definitely saves a few seconds. But once you surf a few web pages, that advantage is lost.
duff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raoul_Duke wrote:
firebird is slightly quicker becuase it uses the native gtk toolkit and not the excellent but slower XUL

Wrong. Firebird still uses XUL.

Quote:
Switch Mozilla's default browser component from the XPFE-based Navigator to the standalone Mozilla Firebird browser. Note: the standalone browser's user interface is defined entirely using XUL. So in preferring it, we are not deprecating XUL. We are demonstrating how XUL is a sound basis for fast, cross-platform applications such as Mozilla Firebird.

http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my bad :oops:

Just got me confused because it seems to follow whatever gtk theme i'm using :?
dgrant
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does the Mozilla team make a point of saying they are not deprecating it? Is it a candidate for deprecation or something?
choco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mozilla team probably makes a point about it not because XUL is a candidate for deprecation but because many people deprecate it already. Other browsers for Linux like Galeon, etc., use Mozilla's rendering but replace the XUL gui with a native one like gtk, in order to at least make the browser's GUI more responsive. The Mozilla team may be emphasizing that XUL isn't a problem, so it isn't the reason for the change to the slimmer Firebird.
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mozilla 1.4b and firebird from (recent) cvs, while mozilla is sluggish from time to time, firebird-cvs is extremly fast, even faster than konqueror when using kde, so just use the cvs version, it kicks ass :P
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgaap wrote:
I have mozilla 1.4b and firebird from (recent) cvs, while mozilla is sluggish from time to time, firebird-cvs is extremly fast, even faster than konqueror when using kde, so just use the cvs version, it kicks ass :P

I had been using firebird-bin but now I'm trying out the CVS version. I expect to get good speed improvement.
dgrant
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what specific aspect does Firebird have a noticeable speed improvement over Mozilla?

BTW, the fastest Mozilla I have used are the Mozilla nightly builds. They beat the Debian package (compiled with -O2) as well as the Gentoo package hands down. Marking my 2000 message Junk mail folder as spam or non-spam for example, takes about 30 seconds in the Gentoo and Debian package, but only 15 seconds with Mozilla nightly build. There are all on identical versions by the way, Moz 1.3. BTW, startup time on mozilla nightly is about 4 seconds, which is the same as Firebird for me. Mozilla 1.3 Debian or Gentoo package is 7 or 8 seconds (slow!).

I think maybe part of the problem is it all depends what package you are using. However, I can conclude that thus far, Mozilla nightly binaries from the mozilla web page have so far been just as fast as any Firebird I've tried so far. Although I haven't tried many different kinds of Firebird. For example I haven't tried CVS as someone suggested.
Xargon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly are the differences between Firebird and Phoenix?

Also (this may be something obvious), how do I emerge Firebird when it is masked? (I have "ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86" in my /etc/make.conf file.)
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xargon wrote:
What exactly are the differences between Firebird and Phoenix?

None. They renamed Phoenix to Firebird at version 0.6.
tfoggoa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better question: How to I upgrade from phoenix to firebrid?

I have a couple of customer search applet things in the search bar too.

Can I just emerge firebird overtop of phoenix? How does portage handle when an ebuild gets renamed?

-Todd
Diezel
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to theese discussions even I emerged Firebird and I'm truly amased. It's "greased lightning" :lol:
FLUG member 473
Munck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfoggoa:

When I upgraded, I did:

emerge unmerge mozilla-firebird-bin

emerge mozilla-firebird

cheers!
echeslack
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgrant wrote:
But overall, the rendering of pages is still as slow as Mozilla. I've always found Gecko sluggish. Once you use Opera you realize how slow Mozilla is. Actually IE6 also is faster, similar to Opera.

It probably just feels like they are faster because they start trying to render the page as soon as they get it. This has been mentioned numerous other times in the forums. You can set a preference in Mozilla (or any variant) so that gecko will start rendering sooner:
Code:

(in user.js)
user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay", 0);

That makes mozilla start rendering the page immediately. Actually, setting it so low can be bad because it will actually slow it down so it has to redraw it too many times and your final page is rendered later. The reason a lot of people say they notice that firebird is faster than mozilla is because mozilla sets this to be 500 milliseconds by default (or used to, it may have changed), which is a little too high for many high speed connections. The default firebird setting of 250 milliseconds is better, but you may feel like pages load faster if you set it lower.

-ewen
dgrant
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not a believer. One of the real tests I noticed for Mozilla and Firebird is to create a bunch of tabs, and then switch between them. I have an Athlon 1.2 GHz, 513MB RAM, 32MB GeForce2, and I notice a slight delay when switching between open tabs, and this delay is there on firebird as well as mozilla. Should I try firebird-cvs? will it make much difference?

p.s. Thanks Ewen for that tip! That might be part of the mystery I think.
markfl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is user.js? i cant find it anywhere.....
probably mind numbingly obvious
thanks
Zephaniah
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesn't exist by default. You create it at

~/.phoenix/default/XXXXXX.slt/user.js

where XXXXXX is a directoy under the .phoenix directory, eg mine's called u0khqws0.slt, yours could be different(?).

thats for firebird 0.6 btw, dont know why the directory is still called phoenix though.
zenlunatic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded a binary of Mozilla firebird for Mac OS X a few days ago. All I can say is wow! I have used all the mac browsers on 10.1.5 (IE, Mozilla, Camino, Omniweb, Opera). On the Mac I have yet to find a browser until Firebird that actually works decently. Every browser has its quirks for OS X: IE is carbon therefore it is slow, and getting bookmark compatibility is hell (imagine that); mozilla was slow in the GUI (XUL I presume) and fonts were nasty; Camino is by far the buggiest browser and possible application that I have <b> ever used</b> on a computer (I wish the project luck and have filed several bug reports). I never really was much of a fan of opera and Omniwebs cocoa interface isn't that nice IMHO. I tried Firebird a while back when it was first released for the mac, and it was hardly usable then. All the problems that I experience then have been eradicated in this release, such as scrolling problems (text bleeding vertically when i scrolled). The only thing I don't like about firebird is the preferences menu because the sidebar is pictures. I prefer the old mozilla style with captions/drop arrows. This is a great browser to try. It's now my main browser in Mac OS 10.1.5. Try it!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: