Stream Audio Via WiFi?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Stream Audio Via WiFi? Reply with quote

Hi is there such a thing as a wireless sound card I can use with my laptop?

Currently I have my laptop hooked up to my external Yamaha Dolby digital/DTS receiver via about 5 meters of optical cable - which is very cumbersome and not very useful.

Ideally I would like a card that plugged directly into my laptop (so no external box) and beamed the sound wirelessly from my laptop to a receiver on top of my external AV amplifier.

If I was dreaming I would wish for something that did full dolby digital sound reproduction too - although again possibly the chances of this are quite slim.

I did look at the Linksys WMB54G, but this seems quite old and has been discontinued in many places and I don't think that it's supported in Linux.

One thing I thought of is that the Linksys just uses a virtual sound driver and then streams this as a raw/compressed audio stream to a receiver that can decode it.

But I have a modded Xbox 1 - and I have Ubuntu installed on my laptop too. So I wonder if there are any projects that have designed a virtual sound driver like this for directly streaming audio to a device that can decode it?

It's a long shot - but it seems a feasible thing to do.

Linksys have posted the GPL code for this though:

A virtual device driver that can stream compressed MP3 (or ogg) audio to any device that is capable of decoding it sure sounds like a neat idea.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859909889&packedargs=sku%3D1137451822026&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=0988922026B03&displaypage=download#versiondetail

However it is a bit beyond my abilities to make any useful sense out of this source.
octanez
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the Slim Devices Squeezebox? Not quite what you are asking for, but might give you a good place to start? And SlimServer is already in portage!

There is also the Roku SoundBridge based on the same software, if you like the look of it better.
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, sorry, not even close. But thanks all the same for trying.

I thought I was very clear? I am trying to eliminate the wire between my laptop and my external AV/hifi amplifier.

Did you look at the WMB54G? This is exactly what this does. It simply creates a virtual sound driver, then encodes the sound as (presumably) an MP3 stream, then beams this stream over WiFi to a receiver capable of decoding MP3 streams.

This is like a 'virtual sound card' - as it simply serves the raw sound wirelessly to a a receiver hooked up to normal Hi-Fi.

The problem with the WMB54G is that it isn't compatible with Linux (which is ironic since it runs on Linux).

However the idea of a virtual sound server that plays sound over Wi-Fi at least sounds feasible to me. Call it a Wi-Fi enabled sound server if you wish.

Why would I want to do this? Well there are many scenarios where my home AV equipment is vastly superior to any smaller set of dedicated computer speakers - and it is certainly infinitely superior to the sound on my laptop.

Also I am not just limited to music files, since as something like the WMB54G would work as a virtual sound card, any sound from any source (regardless of which application I was using, or whether or not the audio was DRM protected or whatever) would play without restrictions. (So for example the sound from a game on my laptop would play wirelessly on my home AV system too).

I hope I have explained things a little better now?
nooser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that it probably isn't compatible with Linux, but doesn't Apple have something like this that can work with iTunes? Wonder if someone could write a plugin for Amarok or the like that could interface with that? (AirPort Express)

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/
nooser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infact...it appears that someone might have something cooking:

http://raop-play.sourceforge.net/
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not it I'm afraid.

What I am looking for is a networked sound server that can stream compressed MP3 or OGG sound to any device that is capable of decoding it.

Think of it as a wireless (or virtual) sound card if you want.

I'm not certain how I can make it any clearer?

I think things like esound, polypaudio and nas (short for 'networked sound system') do something similar, although I think they need a specific client app on the other end to receive the networked audio and to decode it.

In my case I don't particularly want to run another computer with a dedicated client app just to decode the audio stream. My old Xbox 1 can play streamed MP3's - as can my phone (Nokia N95), so a better solution for me would be something that streamed every sound my computer makes over wifi to any device capable of decoding an MP3 stream.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: