Notebook Hard Drive Load Cycles
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Notebook Hard Drive Load Cycles Reply with quote

After reading a much hyped article about frequent hard drive head parking (anything about ubuntu is dugg ;)) :
Quote:
http://www.linux-hero.com/rant/explanation-ubuntu-hard-drive-wear-and-tear

(which I am sure has caught the eyes of others too), I emerged smartmontools and doing a 'smartctl -a /dev/sda' showed that I have already used up 350,000 out of a max of about 600,000 load cycles as in the spec sheets of my hard drive (its a seagate momentus 5004.2). The immediate steps - I changed the apm parameter of my hard drive to 254 by editing laptop-mode.conf (a more direct way is 'hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda'). Note that this 'problem' (feature :p) is easily identified by frequent clicking sounds of the hard drive head parking off. Anyway, after disabling that feature (almost), my hard drive temperatures have moved up by 2-5 degrees (its close to 50C atm, although I hope it will get better as I live in a somewhat warm place - (san diego :p).)

So anyone else have some observations and thoughts on this? Is anyone at > 600,000 :). Of course, bottom line is it has been a year since I have been using this notebook, so I probably won't be using this hard drive for more than another year anyway. Would be nice if anyone has a good laptop-mode.conf for hard drive stuff. Also, any idea if filesystem (reiser36/ext3) / mount options has any 'significant' effect on it? (I am a die hard fan of reiserfs, but I'll try ext3 sometime soon.)
mirekm
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In is not max load cycles for your hard drive. The value is avarege count of load cycles before drive failure, and it is made on some way like that, that they take for example 1000 disks for testing, and perform on them let say 10 000 load cycles (on each), and as result of that they get about 17 failures.
As average they receive 600 000 load cycles. So don't worry.
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reassuring me :D. Although I am almost sure that the number 600,000 is not `at most', and hopefully just 'average'. Would have been happiest if I was told it is 'at least' 600000, never mind void warranties ;). Banking on engineering redundancies :). Either way, I have come down to 128 as the best compromise. Drive is running slightly warm (much cooler than 254), and on the better, not too much 'clicky' too. One thing I must add is that the program powersaved is very aggressive at that, so I might suggest to use it with caution, or as I did, make laptop_mode take control of hard drive apm.
albright
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the default laptop_mode spindown while on battery
is 5 seconds (which seems a little "aggressive" to
me). But you can set it to be whatever you want ...

see /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not the spin up/down of the platters which concerns me, but rather the head parking part which is the issue here. Yes, the spin-up/down of laptop_mode is indeed aggressive. In fact I have disabled the control of spin/up down using laptop_mode. (We can increase the idle time outs in laptop_mode though.)
step
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Model Family: Hitachi Travelstar 80GN family
Code:

Start_Stop_Count        0x0012   098   098   000    Old_age   Always       -       4024
Power_On_Hours          0x0012   066   066   000    Old_age   Always       -       15206
Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       1884
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0012   001   001   000    Old_age   Always       -       1198424

1 198 424 8O But this is not that bad if you look at the Power_On_Hours 15206
Or is it?
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes me feel confident :D. Btw, I am hopefully assuming that your hard-drive / notebook is not of any special make and just an average one like mine. (I just googled up, but couldn't find that specification for your hard drive, but looks that its designed for 300,000/600,000. However, it seems that they have been tested fine for long term endurance tests of 1,000,000. Great :).) (Btw, I also saw that supported life is 20,000 hrs :). I am at 7827, compared to your 15,000.)

But here is something I want to know. In general, is the notebook hard drive life, for whatever reasons, typically about 2 years or so ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: