video editing help please
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glitch13
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: video editing help please Reply with quote

I have mpegs that I want to be able to clip portions out of. I've tried avidemux, but it apparently from the name (and not that the error messages give you any clue) doesn't handle mpegs (sidenote: i cant event get an avi to load, it just sits with the "working" window open forever).

I've heard of kino (which I only think handle dv out of cameras) and cinelerra (which I know nothing about). I've emeged mjpegtools, but jebus, is that some obfuscated, confusing crap there.

Could someone tell me what I need, explain to me what I need to do with what I have, or point me to a tutorial that explains this? ANY help would be appreciated!
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use mencoder (or mplayer) to crop a video if you know the start time and end time of the part you wanted.

IIRC you would just need to have mencoder use the original as the source with the start time and end time specified, and just using copy for both audio and video encoding codecs.

Code:

mencoder startfile.mpeg -ss 1:00 -endpos 1:30 -noskip -oac copy -ovc copy -o newfilename.mpeg

That is just off the top of my head and I'm not sure if I got it right or not... If what I posted really does work it would crop the part of the startfile.mpeg video from 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds and put it in the file newfilename.mpeg

My GPG/PGP Public key
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention...
Code:

man mplayer

to get the details of how to do it.

BTW, I think avidmux should support mpeg.... It sounds like there is some kind of problem with your system's setup though.... Either that or avidmux is just broken.. (doesn't open anything on my computer either...)

My GPG/PGP Public key
mean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avidemux can read mpeg but the 0.9 was afflicted with a bug that hit specifically gentoo user (combinaison of gcc/tuned gcc options)

This bug has been fixed (workarounded to be accurate), but in the unstable branch

Giv avidemux2 a try :)
(form source, the portage version is very outdated)
mastergara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avidemux2 is a definite must for video editing. This program is my choice for creating clips from mpegs. It is also pretty simple to figure out, as the icons at the bottom are pretty self-explanatory.

If you are editing DVD clips, make sure to note the "File -> Export as mpeg video -> DVD" as this saves the file in the high-quality format. Bonehead here (me) posting missed that option, and spend days tearing his hair out.

If you are creating clips for use in editing in another video editing program, I would suggest cinelerra, as it has some powerful features. Unfortunately, it also seems to have this bad habit of quite possibly being the most unstable linux app I have ever encountered (hardlock, random closures, etc, and I am running 1.1.6).

Good luck, use avidemux2, and have fun understanding all the joys of video :twisted:

-M

"To Spoof is to Deceive"

Ya think?
mta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cinelarra? it's in portage... :)
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe I never mentioned it...
The avidemux2-ebuilds are available here:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20182

I finally managed t osubmit the latest today ;)

I'm still not so pleased with them but they are better then "conf/make/make inst" IMO.

Cheers,
zypher
blueworm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could'nt get avidemux to work either, and it did exactly the same.
Downloaded the source from the home page and compilled it works perfectly now.

check out the homepage http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

cinelerra is also an outstanding choice but maybe a little like killing mosquitos with cannonballs in this context.
glitch13
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, thanks for the info, I emerged the masked avidemux2 and on the surface, it seems to be just what I need.

The one complaint I have (and I realize you guys didn't write it) is this: coming from the world of windows using TMPGEnc , Im used to the very easy "define your section then save an mpeg" kinda routine. In avidemux, it would seem to be that easy seeming as they have a menu option "Export to mpeg -> Video CD" (which is the format I'm ultimately aiming for). But apparently this only does the video. Reading the help on their site (which looks to only cover the first version) you need to do sound and (raw) video seperately, then "multiplex" them together with mjpegtools. I have yet to get this to work 100% ( i get errors like "**ERROR: [mplex] MUX STATUS: Frame data under-runs detected!", how informative). And if this is the case, why is the video cd export option even on there?

This may seem arrogant, and I may be wrong about what I said above so I appologize in advance, but I'm not really interested in learning the finer nuances of the mpeg format, I just want a tool that takes care of this tedious stuff for me.

Am I doing something wrong (besides whining)?
mean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you do the audio file ?
Normally it is impossible to have muxing problem with video part for VCD.

(it may bve a good idea to use latest zypher ebuild https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20182 )
glitch13
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected. I kept following the clipping tutorial on their site that said to output the video as raw. If I output the video to Video CD, then it seems mplex merges the sound and audio fine.

I still wonder why it doesn't just do the multiplexing itself, seeming as it already passes the task of clipping the video off to mpeg2enc, why can't it just pass the task of joining them to mplex instead of relying on the user to do that? Is this in the project's scope or do the authors want, as it would seem, a more down and dirty approach?
mean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me if i understood correcly.
If you use export -> vcd you get a mpeg1 video elementary stream
Then do audio and mplex them. The result is ok

If you do file->save raw you got problem.

Is that correct ?
glitch13
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it. Here's how Im having to do it right now:

-Open Mpeg
-It says "This looks like and Mpeg, would you like to index it?"
-I choose yes.
-It then makes me choose between Mpeg audio, AC3 audio, or LPCM. I choose Mpeg audio. (there is also a dropdown box that goes from 0 to 7, but it doesn't explain what it is for, so I just leave it alone.)
-Define section to use ( with the <A and B> buttons)
-File->Save Audio (i choose filename vcd.audio)
-File->Export as mpeg video->Video CD (i choose filename vcd.mpg)
-Go to console and type:
Code:

#mplex -o out.mpg vcd.mpg vcd.audio

and it works. I have a file named out.mpg that is the clipped portion with sound. (I know my vcd.mpg and vcd.audio files aren't named correctly, I just have no idea what format they are in). Its still more leg work then I'd like to do, but it works. Now I just need to figure out how to join to mpegs to make a vcd formatted mpeg, and how to cut out parts (like removing commercials). Of course I i figure out how to join two mpegs, then I could cut out the parts that aren't commercials and join them into one commercial free mpeg.
mean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, will try to reproduce it.
When you selected the part, the A marker was always a keyframe ?
It is important for mpeg as there is no smart copy engine.
glitch13
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please allow me to remove my foot from my mouth.

Three points:

1) While browsing the avidemux site today, I came to the realization that you are actually the author of this project. I reiterate my appology above for whining about the lack of automatic multiplexing.

2) I said I got it to work with the "Save Audio", "Export->VCD", mplex them together steps. I'm not really sure what you were trying to reproduce.

3) I touched on this earlier: Is there a way to "join" two vcd mpegs (either in avidemux or with mjpegtools)?

About the 3rd point, I may have noticed a bug: I created two mpegs with the steps I described in point 2. I noticed that in the file menu there was an "append video" option, so I was going to load one video, then "append" the other one to see if I could join the two this way (which I have no idea if I can). When I loaded up the first vcd mpeg I created, It prompted me to index it, so I said yes, chose mpeg sound and hit ok. It worked through the progress bar, but then sat there at 100% frozen. It didn't respond to the cancel button or anything.
mean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is if you export them, you re-encode them. If the source is already
mpeg you should be able just to cut (using file->save raw) without re-encoding.

Yes append should work but you may run into a bit of troubles :

- the stuck at 100% thing is a bug somewhere (maybe compiler bug), it has been workaround'ed in avidemux2 tree

- You can append video, but it is not fully debugged in the avidemux2 tree.
It should work 100% ok on video, but audio may be a problem. I've heard some people use bother avidemux1 &2 to do this (video with avidemux2 and audio with avidemux1)
mean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot.
Since you cut the video, it is better to use tcmplex from transcode rather than mplex for mjepgtools.

It is probably what is causing the problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: