torture!!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eleKtron
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: torture!!!! Reply with quote

there's NOTHING worse than sitting and waiting while your kernel compiles!!! it's like the big sign sitting in front of your face saying "LOOK!!!! YOU'RE ALMOST DONE INSTALLING GENTOO!!!! TOO BAD YOU HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER HOUR!!!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!" ok, sorry for that display of flamboyancy. but it's SO annoying!!! :-P
dice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An hour?? Takes me less than 4 minutes. What are you compiling on, a 386? :)
tj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dice wrote:
An hour?? Takes me less than 4 minutes. What are you compiling on, a 386? :)

dice - I think your sig explains your compile times - show some compassion :wink:
eleKtron
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually it only takes 15-20 minutes... but it sure seems like an hour! and i put in some file system support as default instead of modules and it caused a kernel panic and i had to fix it and do it again...

it's on a celeron 1.2ghz, 384megs of SDR pc 133, and a compaq workstation mobo. one of their wonderfully designed pieces of junk... but it was free so i'm not complaining really... it gets the job done...
metalac
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it takes me about 10-15 minutes on a dual P2 300mhz. I hope you you got only the necessary stuff in the kernel.
eleKtron
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i only put in stuff i needed :-/ dont know why it takes that long.... it is a compaq workstation, i mean that just automatically means slow....

next time i start compiling it i'll start a timer and get an official time
Ben2040
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Is it really that much faster, metalac? I have a K6-2 450Mhz with 192Mb of RAM and a 6Gb Hard Disk. On this system a compile takes about 50mins. Is this normal???

Ben
metalac
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben2040 wrote:
Hi
Is it really that much faster, metalac? I have a K6-2 450Mhz with 192Mb of RAM and a 6Gb Hard Disk. On this system a compile takes about 50mins. Is this normal???

Ben

well i have dual 300mhz and 320mb RAM, the K6-2 where not that advanced compared to P2 so 450mhz K6-2 was maybe just a bit faster than 300mhz P2 i belive. It usually takes 20 minutes, but that's when I acctually do stuff while it compiles. I have screensaver set to 20 minutes and when I start compiling the kernel the screensaver doesn't turn on when the compile is done, so i know it's deffinitely under 20 minutes. The 50 minutes you get is kind of strange. I had the similar problem on my P3 800mhz laptop until I realized that "somehow" I had almost all the options checked in certain sections of the kernel config. After I changed it a bit it got much faster. Also you i think cerain stuff compiles much faster when it's built in as modules from what I've seen, might give that a try.
eleKtron
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Netowkr probs Reply with quote

ok, after installation, i get an error when it tries to activate eth0. the error occurs in /etc/init.d/netmount and i'm not sure where to start looking for a solution. that's just a standard network start script for it, and as far as i can tell all the settings are correct as they need to be.... can someone offer a few suggestions?
bmichaelsen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, netmount does not *activate* your eth0 - that is done before by /etc/init.d/net.eth0- which is configured in /etc/conf.d/net ...
netmount activates nfs etc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: