Gentoo has made me stupid - sorta
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Gentoo has made me stupid - sorta Reply with quote

So, i've been running a pure gentoo system for quite a while now (I was previously dual-booting) and everything is running like a puppy 8)

I've got a damn-fine desktop, numerous excellent apps, rock solid stability, near-perfect package management.........but here's the problem.

Now, bear with me becuase i'm not being 100% serious here.......other distros seem alien to me 8O

People ask me questions about how to install this or fix that and i just freeze!! My linux knowledge is soooo gentoo-related that fairly simple problems on other people's boxes seem quite puzzling to me.

I don't mind really, because i know my box inside out :P

Anyone else suffer from this :?: :mrgreen:
samokk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone suffers from this problem :p

once you/ve got so many problems (e.g. you're using gentoo :) ), you imagine so complex scenarios why this or this wouldnt work on some other machine..

then you feel stupid not to konw how to fix the small little problem on MDK 9.x :p

sam
Mystilleef
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gents,

Apart from the package management system and the scripts setup, Gentoo is no different from any other linux machine. Agreed, sometimes I get confused when using a distro I'm not familiar with, but it only takes a matter of minutes to get my orientation.

Most of the troubles users on other linux distros face are a result of the flaws eminent in some terrible package managers. Others are installation problems. And yet others package specific. I would not argue that gentoo has made me dumber. Afterall in a utopian computing environment, installing packages is supposed to be a flawless, an easy and a convenient process. I'd agree Gentoo has made my linux voyage a little more purposeful, but there is still a long way to go, especially in the Linux sphere.

"My logic is undeniable."
paranode
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystilleef wrote:

Apart from the package management system and the scripts setup, Gentoo is no different from any other linux machine. Agreed, sometimes I get confused when using a distro I'm not familiar with, but it only takes a matter of minutes to get my orientation.

Well that in itself is enough to make other distros like Red Hat hard to understand when you're used to using Gentoo. They want you to use their GUI to configure everything, and they place the configuration files and scripts in non-standard places making it hard to track down and solve the problems. Plus because they have custom pre-compiled kernels people run into other weird problems that have to have strange workarounds because nobody ever wants to recompile their kernel in RPM-based distros. I remember looking at a Red Hat kernel once, it seemed as though every single option was enabled as a module 8O It was messy.
SIR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as an utter Linux n00b, installing Gentoo made me smarter about Linux in general. Actually, I used to use HP-UX a little at work a couple of years ago, but that was as an end user of a program or two without much privileges, with a little vi use.

I also tried installing Red Hat, and while it was definitely faster than setting up Gentoo, I really had no idea what was going on or how I could tweak things and didn't learn a thing. It was kind of like installing Windows or something (shudder).

All it takes is reading the docs looking in the forums, and someone like me can learn quite a bit during the process of setting up Gentoo.

My $0.02.
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i'm glad i'm not the only one :wink:

Yeah, it's like init scripts and packages seem so different......red hat and mandrake are like a different OS 8O
Xargon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
red hat and mandrake are like a different OS

Redhat and Mandrake try way too hard to be like Windows. If your Linux knowledge isn't helping you, just think like MS software. :)
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, i'm not too bothered......just my 'linux-geek' status is in jepardy :wink:
patsonrt1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a coincidence. I was thinking the exact same thing today at work. My Bro gave me a copy of his Apache conf to refrence, as I am trying to setup web folders on my server, and he tells me where mine is located in /etc (I had that part figured out 8O) Anyways, a Apache emerge sets up config files in a different location than the "normal" RPM's and that, for some reason, got me thinking about installing a RPM or a .tar file. What exactly were those commands to install from a .tar file...... :oops: I think Gentoo has a negative affect on my ability to sound intelligent to non-gentoo Linux users sometimes :P
On the other hand, I have learned more about Linux in the 6 months I have used Gentoo then the few years that I was using other distros off and on. Me thinks that is kinda weird.

"Ok"

-fortune
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: