Install issues on imac g3 333mhz
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robosexual
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Install issues on imac g3 333mhz Reply with quote

Hey there. I'm trying fix up this old iMac for my SO's kid and I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what's wrong with it.

It's an iMac G3 333mhz, 160mb RAM, 6gb HD.

When I start the liveCD, it usually hangs at udev, or gives me a bunch of abnormal exit errors that are different every time. IF it gets past that, I can partition the hard drive and I can start to untar the stage3 archive, but then it farts all over me and gives me segmentation fault all over the place.

So far I have tried replacing the hard drive (twice), taking out the 128mb RAM, swapping it with the RAM from my laptop, putting the initial RAM back in, burning the install CD on three different burners, a couple different kernel arguments that did nothing, pitching a gargantuan fit, and ignoring the godforsaken thing for a week.

Current theories include: something stupid that I'm forgetting to do or don't know about, failing CD drive, or *gulp* the mobo.

This is my first attempt putting linux on a ppc. It is a foreign concept to me, I am far more comfortable with x86.

Suggestions?
Habbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are certain that the memory is OK, then SIGSEGV (segfaults) usually indicate invalid CPU opcodes. Maybe the livecd (I'm taking you mean the universal install cd) kernel/apps were compiled for post-g3 machines. In the x86 arch, the livecd requires an i686, while the minimal cd should run on a 486. Have you tried using the minimal CD instead? You might also have an overheating problem or a defective CPU.
EB FD   jmp $-3
robosexual
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yeah, I forgot that one ... for some reason I'd figured that it wasn't the CPU and it was more likely the CDROM and I can't remember why, I'll have to look at what sort of crap the monster is spewing at me again.

I've tried both the minimal and the universal cd. minimal works a little better. maybe i'm missing something somewhere I should be doing, I know G3's tend to be a pain, from the research I've done so far.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo on PPC.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Habbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post the concrete error message, along with any other relevant information?
EB FD   jmp $-3
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also suggest trying the 2006.1 InstallCD, some people with older machines have had better luck with that one.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: