Making the switch to AMD64
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragefan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Making the switch to AMD64 Reply with quote

Hello,

I am considering making the switch from x86 to amd64 on my athlonX2. I have searched the forums for answer and read the FAQ's so I apologize if this has been answered before. I have a spare 30 GB partition on my HD, I was wondering if I can chroot it, and install that way from my x86 installation rather than booting from an amd64 live cd. Does the build process need to be running on a 64-bit kernel? I am not looking to "upgrade" my current x86 installation, I just need access to my current apps and network drives, until the 64-bit installation is complete.

Thanks,
Rick
Registered linux user #256555
Spear
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Making the switch to AMD64 Reply with quote

ragefan wrote:
Hello,

I am considering making the switch from x86 to amd64 on my athlonX2. I have searched the forums for answer and read the FAQ's so I apologize if this has been answered before. I have a spare 30 GB partition on my HD, I was wondering if I can chroot it, and install that way from my x86 installation rather than booting from an amd64 live cd. Does the build process need to be running on a 64-bit kernel? I am not looking to "upgrade" my current x86 installation, I just need access to my current apps and network drives, until the 64-bit installation is complete.

Thanks,
Rick

No, you'll need to be running an AMD64 kernel first.
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Making the switch to AMD64 Reply with quote

Spear wrote:

Actually it is possible, and the process is taught in the Cross Linux From Scratch book. I built such a system a year or two ago and don't see what it couldn't be done on Gentoo. Of course it would be easier if you built a 64bit kernel first B-)
Spear
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Making the switch to AMD64 Reply with quote

EzInKy wrote:
Spear wrote:

Actually it is possible, and the process is taught in the Cross Linux From Scratch book. I built such a system a year or two ago and don't see what it couldn't be done on Gentoo. Of course it would be easier if you built a 64bit kernel first B-)

That's news to me, the received wisdom was that a 64bit kernel was needed first.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's probably a lot easier to d/l an amd64 install cd and then install
in the regular way.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Making the switch to AMD64 Reply with quote

Spear wrote:
That's news to me, the received wisdom was that a 64bit kernel was needed first.

Well it must be possible via cross-compiling, otherwise how would could they have made the first 64-bit kernel when there were only 32-bit systems? ;)

The bottom line is this 'tho:

It *is* possible to build it from a 32-bit system, but it's a damned lot easier to do it from a boot CD ;)
Hell-Razor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i did from going from 32 to 64 is build it all in vmware. Close everything you dont need then give vmware as much juice as you can and go go go.... this was about two years ago and im still running on that install.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: