Kontact / Kmail signature top posting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Kontact / Kmail signature top posting Reply with quote

So the other day I finally got tired of the fact that kontact (kmail in reality, but I use the kontact wrapper) had all these fancy signature capabilities, but lacked the ability to put my signature above my reply or forward text. I had looked it up before and discovered this bug, a mere 7 years old requesting the feature (must be a difficult task) and this blog discussing actually implementing it, along with the SVN location of their work, which was still somehow not in the mainline. Finally, after doing some digging, I found the actual SVN revision where they checked in the top posting ability.

Despite my figuring that someone had to create an ebuild/package/whatever of this branch, no one did. So I opted to get the diffs and roll my own! Upon getting the diffs and applying them it turned out they didn't apply, some quick hacking later they apply, but are not really very good. So, being slightly familiar with programming (more familiar with scripting) and OO languages and not at all familiar with Qt, KDE, or C++, I rewrote the patch to make it actually do what I want it to do.

Fast forward a week or so and here I am with a patch that does what I want, that I hope someone else will find useful (and maybe get into the mainline? yeah probably not). I was going to put the patch into a code bracket on here, but it doesn't have an option that I can find to not word wrap, so I opened a bug about it.

You can find the patch and ebuild inside: Kontact / Kmail signature top posting patch bug 197535

All you have to do is add it to your local repository and put the kmail-tofu.patch in the files directory (I'd recommend copying the whole kdepim directory from /usr/portage to /usr/local/portage), then do
Code:
ebuild kdepim-3.5.8-r1.ebuild digest && emerge -1 kdepim
and you're on your way to having Kmail/Kontact top posting!

I have tested this patch pretty extensively and haven't found and bugs or usability issues, but I am just one person with a limited test case so if you find a bug or some aspect of usability that is unfriendly, let me know and I'll try to fix it. Hope this helps someone!

NOTE I do not care if you think top posting is bad form or the worst thing in the world or whatever you have against it, please keep it to yourself. This isn't a flame arena.

EDIT: Well the gentoo bug got killed fast. The patch and ebuild are still there. I've also started a new KDE bug: http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=151585.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: