I want the old, slow init.d behavior back
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: I want the old, slow init.d behavior back Reply with quote

I found that with "improvements" in baselayout and init.d scripts, bugs have been popping up like mushrooms after a summer rain. Sometimes I get the feeling that it only gets worse and worse with time.

What I don't like: stuff getting "backgrounded" like this:
Code:

* starting ath0
Starting wpa_supplicant on ath0 ...
Starting wpa_cli on ath0 ...
Backgrounding ...

Yes, I know it can take a minute for ath0 to come up with wpa_supplicant, but still, backgrounding it have introduced some really strange behavior that can't be too easily pinpointed.

Backgrounding the vmware init script is an additional nuisance, as the firewall script fails 5 times out of 10 because the vmware virtual network interface isn't up yet.

I also don't like xdm starting early. It just causes mondo breakage on my system (resulting in me having to kill and restart xdm by hand from vt every second reboot), and is definitely not worth the time saved by this.
There have been a config variable somewhere to disable this early xdm startup before. Now I can't find it.

I really don't care if the system boots up slower than Ubuntu or Vista or MacOS or Nokia Symbian! I just would like to have a stable, bugfree baselayout, and a system I don't have to tweak by hand every time I start it up. I'm really fed up with these bugs, as they are very hard to reproduce.

Is there a way to disable all this speed madness in baselayout, and make it go slow and steady instead?
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I want the old, slow init.d behavior back Reply with quote

Simius wrote:
I found that with "improvements" in baselayout and init.d scripts, bugs have been popping up like mushrooms after a summer rain.

Assuming you use testing, don't complain, but file bugs please, so the right people get to know your problems; Because if they encoutered them, you wouldn't be the (self chosen) one to suffer...

Simius wrote:
Is there a way to disable all this speed madness in baselayout, and make it go slow and steady instead?

Did you set RC_PARALLEL in /etc/conf.d/rc to "yes", by chance!?
Simius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I want the old, slow init.d behavior back Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
Simius wrote:
I found that with "improvements" in baselayout and init.d scripts, bugs have been popping up like mushrooms after a summer rain.

Assuming you use testing, don't complain, but file bugs please, so the right people get to know your problems; Because if they encoutered them, you wouldn't be the (self chosen) one to suffer...

No, I don't use testing. Apart from a few select packages, I only use "arch" keyworded stuff.

Simius wrote:

Did you set RC_PARALLEL in /etc/conf.d/rc to "yes", by chance!?[/quote][/quote]
rotflol
No, I didn't. In fact it's explicitely set to "no".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: