Installation Help!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
virtecs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Installation Help! Reply with quote

Ok so I have 2 problems.

1. I have a dell c610. I want to install Gentoo on it. Problem is, is that the floppy drives doesn't work and it doesn't have a cd drive. USB isn't a viable boot options so I'm stuck with no way to get it on the hard drive. I do have a laptop hard drive to pc hard drive converter so I can hook it up to my pc...which is what I have done.

2. Doing what I stated above, I hooked up my laptop hard drive to my pc and went through the liveCD directions for installation. However it hangs at about 2%, roughly around the time it installs the debiantools.

My questions are:

1. Is there anyway to copy/install a minimal gentoo to the laptop hard drive via my pc and then put the laptop hard drive into the laptop and then do a network install from there?

2. If you can't do the above, will connecting the laptop hard drive to my pc and installing gentoo, then putting it back in my laptop work?

And if #2 works, does the debiantools copying take a long time or is it really freezing and if so how do I get around this?

Hope someone can help. I'm pretty new to linux and heard this was the best so I wanted to start with the best. THANKS!
HymnToLife
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 would certainly work, you'll just need to be careful to also compile the modules needed by your laptop's hardware in the kernel. Agbout the Live CD installer, it is known to be quite buggy so I sugget you follow the Handbok to do the installation manually.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: